Mixed Drink Recipes

Help Support Talkbeer:

The Coming of Gose introduced me to Caipirinha's this weekend.

Incredibly simple in terms of recipe, but I'm sure quality of ingredients and technique are what seperate good from great. I was drinking it as a sidecar to a huge mead tating so I'm a terrible reference point, but I enjoyed it very much once it got a wee bit watered down.
This is my go to Caipirinha recipe. If its good enough for Alex Atala, its good enough for me.

https://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2014/06/alex-atala-a-treatise-on-caipirinha.html

Don't want to read through 41 pages, anyone made a Fourth Regiment cocktail here? Kinda like an old school take on a Manhattan without the cherry and adding savory/celery bitters to the mix. And it uses Rye instead of Bourbon. Asking before I drop coin on weird bitters.
Well I used the search this thread function and only your post came up so I am thinking no. But I have yet to regret purchasing various bitters. Sometimes I am just throwing stuff together or following old recipes that just call for “bitters” and I find it fun to choose a unique one.

Don't want to read through 41 pages, anyone made a Fourth Regiment cocktail here? Kinda like an old school take on a Manhattan without the cherry and adding savory/celery bitters to the mix. And it uses Rye instead of Bourbon. Asking before I drop coin on weird bitters.
Sounds like a good, interesting drink. The 1 to 1 rye to vermouth ratio is intriguing.

If you like gin and tonics, I'm a fan of a few dashes of celery bitters in that too.

IF you like Bloody Mary then you have one more reason to buy some celery bitters. If they are the ones I have they are very citrus also...

Is there a bar near you that would have those bitters? If so try one there and then decide if its a drink you will have enough of to make it worth it. Its a good drink but its not one I go out of my way for.

IF you like Bloody Mary then you have one more reason to buy some celery bitters. If they are the ones I have they are very citrus also...
Is there a bar near you that would have those bitters? If so try one there and then decide if its a drink you will have enough of to make it worth it. Its a good drink but its not one I go out of my way for.
I'm always gun shy on trying new bitters because they're so damn expensive for tiny little bottles...
Found bottles of celery for closeout pricing of $0.99/bottle. Will report back when I finally pick them up and test them out.

Have been hammering on Manhattans recently. So delicious, so easy to make

2 shots whiskey (I usually go with rye)
1 shot sweet red vermouth
3 dashes bitters
2 luxardos on a stick

Stir and enjoy!
Try a Perfect Manhattan, 1/2 sweet vermouth and 1/2 dry.

Mix up the bitters as well for some different nuances. I much prefer Manhattans over Old Fashions.

Will do! Any recommendations on bitters?
I would go with darker fruit varieties if they're available. I tend to go with Fee Brothers, but I don't have a ton of experience if Brand A is better than brand B.

I've used cherry, chocolate, and I think plum might taste good. I also have orange and grapefruit on hand. Used to have cranberry until I dropped it on the tile floor.

And for your sweet vermouth are you using Carpano Antica? They sell a 375ml bottle whish is what I buy because my larger bottles would oxidize before I used that much of it.

http://www.plummarket.com/store/car...MI35KQnPH53gIVh1cNCh1VdgPlEAQYBCABEgLKzvD_BwE

For dry vermouth I've been using Dolin Vermouth de Chambery Rouge.

I would go with darker fruit varieties if they're available. I tend to go with Fee Brothers, but I don't have a ton of experience if Brand A is better than brand B.

I've used cherry, chocolate, and I think plum might taste good. I also have orange and grapefruit on hand. Used to have cranberry until I dropped it on the tile floor.

And for your sweet vermouth are you using Carpano Antica? They sell a 375ml bottle whish is what I buy because my larger bottles would oxidize before I used that much of it.

http://www.plummarket.com/store/car...MI35KQnPH53gIVh1cNCh1VdgPlEAQYBCABEgLKzvD_BwE

Bar Keep makes some good/fun bitters, too. I get a surprisinng lot of use out of their baked apple bitters.

Will do! Any recommendations on bitters?

If garnishing with a cherry I like to use a slight barspoon of luxardo liquor. If garnishing w/ an orange I like using a barspoon of a nicer triple sec-I tend to go with Cointreau.

Do you refrigerate your vermouth? Also before it goes bad, drink larger amounts either by itself or in cocktails such as an americano. Carpano goes nicely with vanilla forward whiskeys due to it being a vermouth alla vaniglia but I tend to prefer dolin rouge since ill drink it outside of being a side player in cocktails, also its cheaper than cocchi torino which i also like working with. Unfortunatelyatly there arent a lot of good vermouths on the shelf of PA maybe that will change one day?

If garnishing with a cherry I like to use a slight barspoon of luxardo liquor. If garnishing w/ an orange I like using a barspoon of a nicer triple sec-I tend to go with Cointreau.

Do you refrigerate your vermouth? Also before it goes bad, drink larger amounts either by itself or in cocktails such as an americano. Carpano goes nicely with vanilla forward whiskeys due to it being a vermouth alla vaniglia but I tend to prefer dolin rouge since ill drink it outside of being a side player in cocktails, also its cheaper than cocchi torino which i also like working with. Unfortunatelyatly there arent a lot of good vermouths on the shelf of PA maybe that will change one day?
How long does vermouth last in the fridge?

I'm not a vermouth guy, so I never order Manhattans - but at a recent whiskey tasting we were greeted with a Black Manhattan which I absolutely loved. I went out and got a bottle of Averna right away.

• 2oz Rye
  • 1oz Averna amaro
  • 1 dash Orange Bitters
  • 1 dash Angostura

Mix in a yarai glass with ice, stir, and strain. I guess it should be in a coupe, but coupes are the most worthless glassware ever so I just use a lowball glass

How long does vermouth last in the fridge?
REFRIGERATE REFRIGERATE REFRIGERATE

When I go to a new bar my initial judgment of a place is whether they refridgerate their vermouth or not. Unrefridgerated low quality vermouth most bars stock is why people hate vermouth. Its nasty. I agree with Lognar I have had opened bottles refrigerated for a long time that havnt really shown signs of change but unrefridgerated vermouth will start to change in a few days.

Latest posts