Mixed Drink Recipes

Help Support Talkbeer:

REFRIGERATE REFRIGERATE REFRIGERATE

When I go to a new bar my initial judgment of a place is whether they refridgerate their vermouth or not. Unrefridgerated low quality vermouth most bars stock is why people hate vermouth. Its nasty. I agree with Lognar I have had opened bottles refrigerated for a long time that havnt really shown signs of change but unrefridgerated vermouth will start to change in a few days.
And it's really bad if you leave it on the top shelf of your pantry for years on end.

To that end, 375ml bottles and fridge.

I am refrigerating currently. Rolling with martini and Rossi, but not sure of other options or how much better they make the drank
It's a massive step up from Martini and Rossi to just Dolin Rouge. I'd start there. Carpano Antica is a much different creature. Still sweet vermouth but much bigger all around in every aspect - so much so that if I use it I'm using 3/4 to 1/2 the amount I'd otherwise use.

I am refrigerating currently. Rolling with martini and Rossi, but not sure of other options or how much better they make the drank
It's a massive step up from Martini and Rossi to just Dolin Rouge. I'd start there. Carpano Antica is a much different creature. Still sweet vermouth but much bigger all around in every aspect - so much so that if I use it I'm using 3/4 to 1/2 the amount I'd otherwise use.
Yeah it’s well worth the few dollars to upgrade to Dolin.

I always refrigerate open vermouth. As for how long, honestly, go by the taste. I've got year+ old opened bottles of Carpano, Dolin Rouge, and Dolin Blanc I'm still using with no real hit to the taste.
That seems unusually long. I’ve detected significant changes in carpano, dolin and cocchi within 4-6 weeks.

That seems unusually long. I’ve detected significant changes in carpano, dolin and cocchi within 4-6 weeks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it tastes good, I'm drinking it. Vermouth will change, sure, probably, I guess, but that doesn't necessarily equal bad.

PSA: If I've ever made you a Manhattan, it's been made with old vermouth. I guess that would count the barrel aged Manhattans too since the barrel of vermouth, booze, and bitters sat in a barrel in my dining room for 8 weeks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If it tastes good, I'm drinking it. Vermouth will change, sure, probably, I guess, but that doesn't necessarily equal bad.

PSA: If I've ever made you a Manhattan, it's been made with old vermouth. I guess that would count the barrel aged Manhattans too since the barrel of vermouth, booze, and bitters sat in a barrel in my dining room for 8 weeks.
However, it had the essence and power of the Dark Lord, so it's hard to compare to a normal oxidized room temp vermouth.

Googled the spirit, never seen it or even heard. Hard to come by?
It’s an SLO in PA but I found it On the shelves in Maryland. It’s distributed by Haus Alpinz. It’s proto-rum from Indonesia. 98% sugarcane and 2% red rice. It reminds me of rhum agricole and more wildly fermented jamacain rum.

I started playing with the Toronto after reading the Fernet/Amaro thread.

I settled on this as my go to:

2oz Rye (high proof/high rye mash bill)
3/4oz Fernet
1 bar spoon Luxardo syrup
1 bar spoon maple syrup
2-4 dashes Angostura

Expressed orange peel and a Luxardo cherry

IMG_20190222_214800.jpg

I started playing with the Toronto after reading the Fernet/Amaro thread.

I settled on this as my go to:

2oz Rye (high proof/high rye mash bill)
3/4oz Fernet
1 bar spoon Luxardo syrup
1 bar spoon maple syrup
2-4 dashes Angostura

Expressed orange peel and a Luxardo cherry

View attachment 4918
Going low with the syrup. I’m a fan. It tends to be inverted 3/4 maple and barspoon fernet but I like upping the fernet

Going low with the syrup. I’m a fan. It tends to be inverted 3/4 maple and barspoon fernet but I like upping the fernet
What's the straight maple : simple syrup ratio, in terms of grams of sugar? I'm also using a spoon of luxardo for whatever that's worth. I can taste it, which I feel adds something unique to play against the Fernet without being too sweet for my taste.

I feel that the high rye, high proof evens out the extra Fernet for me too. I'm no mixologist, but I feel I can pull the individual elements from each sip. That's balance, at least to me.

Latest posts