Montreal for a long weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brubaker1

Triple Double Diamond Platinum Club Member
Reaction score
Headed to Montreal on Thursday and staying through the weekend. A much overdue trip away from the kids for me and the wife.

Dieu Du Ciel is one stop I know we'll be making. Though it looks like their website has **** the bed so I can't see the current taplist. Do they have a kitchen there or will I be drinking my dinner?

I've read the few other Montreal advice threads, but those are fairly old now. I gather that I need to seek out some ice cider and some Yakima IPA.

Anything currently noteworthy we should check out?

They have a kitchen. Pizza is solid.
I also like Vice et Versa.

And if you are staying more downtown check out Benelux. Not a great food menu but beers... And close to plenty of hotels.

DDC gets packed pretty quickly at evening, be patient or be there early, especially during summer. They often update their tap list on their FB page (latest I could find is this one: ). I actually never had food there, though I think they have some, but cannot provide details about that. Going for beer, not food. Honestly, there's plenty of crazy good restaurants at a walking distance from DDC, so you shouldn't be too worried about eating.

Isle de Garde, Brouhaha, St-Bock, they're all good options too! Vice & Versa is also a solid place to visit. Stations Ho.St is also underrated and they often have very good stuff on tap. Benelux is also ok (there's a new one in Verdun, but I doubt you'll be going to this one, most likely the one on Sherbrooke St.) There are many options. There's also many new places that opened up in the past year, heard good stuff about it, but can't pledge since I haven't tried'em yet.

Where will you be staying? Depending on your position, we could hint you up for the best beer stores and places around, beer related.

Hit me up if you'd like to setup something for an IP trade! We could definitely work up something or could grab some local ISO that might be out of reach. Don't hesitate if you have any other questions.

Where will you be staying? Depending on your position, we could hint you up for the best beer stores and places around, beer related.

We're at Le Square Phillips. Any tips on local shops would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to try to order some of those DDC beers with my complete lack of French. We should be OK actually...the wife took French in high school 20 years ago.

We're at Le Square Phillips. Any tips on local shops would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to try to order some of those DDC beers with my complete lack of French. We should be OK actually...the wife took French in high school 20 years ago.
You won't have any issues ordering anything in MTL while speaking English. If somebody talks to you about some crazy french speaking people forcing you to speak french, forget about that. Those are random yet very rare cases you won't encounter. Montreal is completely bilingual, no worries.

FYI, keep in mind that we're pretty f*cked with laws here for beer. Beer shop can only sell locally produced stuff or stuff that has a brewery here. Like, an american craft brewery cannot come here and just say "hey, I'll distribute my stuff in Quebec in beer shop". No, they need to go through SAQ (Société des Alcools du Québec), the government-owned wine/liquor/beer stores. Only thing: they don't care AT ALL about beer. They only sell sub, sub-par stuff at their location (not to talk about the small selection) and they're payment for breweries takes so much time that nobody wants to deal with them in the end. Only solution for us, to get nice stuff from the US or out of province is to go through private imports to get stuff or to travel. Big pain. That's why you won't find any US craft beer stuff around and close-to nothing from the rest of Canada, a few exceptions asides. But anything local doesn't go through that painful process since... well... it's local. Anyway, that was just to hint you!

The nicest place in MTL to buy beer is not close to a subway station, but is really worth the trip. It's called Peluso (https://goo.gl/rL4OtO), and it's not too bad to get there by bus. Right beside DDC, there's Depanneur AS (https://goo.gl/n0ziS2) with a very good selection. It's convenience store (like most of the beer shop here), but the beer selection is great.

Veux-tu une Bière (https://goo.gl/cJtDKy) is nice also, easy to go there by subway. If you go there, ask if Dominique is there. He's a good guy who knows it's stuff (he's actually opening up his own shop at some point this year, but I think he still works at Veux-tu une Bière). Au Coin Duluth (https://goo.gl/uxG4QN) has a good selection, easy to get there also.

The Fromagerie du Marché Atwater (https://goo.gl/cySvZN) also has a decent selection. Not the place you'll find gems, but it's easily accessible. The market is nice and fun too and it's a trendy spot, near the Canal.

Épicerie Unique (https://goo.gl/LzkncH) on St-Laurent has also a pretty good selection of beer. But the owners don't care about beer. Often, some product have a premium on it (with the exchange rate, this will not affect you much however, hehe). It's however a place where you can end up finding some gems. Everytime I'm going I'm always finding some stuff I'm just "WTF" and "why is this still sitting there?". Love/hate relationship. Check the dates if you buy IPA's or something out there, just saying. It's really a hit or miss place.

Feel free if you have any other questions, I'll try to see if I can find any other spot I'm forgetting!

@kzeo let me know if you can make it downtown to my hotel without too much hassle. I brought a few thank you beers for you and I'll leave them at the desk for you if you like. We are bouncing around town with no plan so it may be hard to meet up.

Back