Morocco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoudreGuy

Reaction score
Probably a long shot, but has anyone been to Morocco before? Heading there end of June to visit my wife's sister and her husband for thirteen days. We'll be based out of Rabat but going all over the country (Essaouira, Casablanca, Marrakesh for sure) and possibly visiting the Spanish Protectorate of Ceuta (which has their own craft brewery). Planning on ticking all five (FIVE!!) beers made in the country, just curious if anyone here has ever been and their experience.

Was there last year.. The epitome of a beer wasteland, though the Casablanca Premium Beer & Speciale Flag beers are pretty crushable. Enjoy the food and culture, beer will take a backseat on this trip.

Was there last year.. The epitome of a beer wasteland, though the Casablanca Premium Beer & Speciale Flag beers are pretty crushable. Enjoy the food and culture, beer will take a backseat on this trip.
This. I went to Casablanca, Marrakech, and Essaouira among other places a few years ago and beer is probably the last thing you'll find. I did manage to find 1 of 3 places (at the time) in Marrakech that served draft beer, can't remember the name though.

While I was in Marrakech I took a day trip to Ait Ben Haddou which was a bit touristy but the ride through the mountains was breathtaking, if a bit scary at times as well. Would definitely recommend.

Enjoy the trip!

Beer is definitely not a goal on this trip whatsoever, but I'm always up for people's perspectives.

My sister-in-law works for the state department and previously lived in Morocco for 2 1/2 years in the Peace Corps (fluent in Morroccan Arabic and French) so we'll have a great experience, especially during Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr. My wife has been before, but first time for my daughter and I. Hoping to bring my brother-in-law some beer and and some hops for his homebrews, too. He recently did a Russian Imperial Stout with locaally grown figs that I'm super excited to try.

Dude the GF and I are going March 31st to Apr 10th. Just picked up the Lonely Planet book at the local bookstore to start looking into the day to day stuff we can/should do. I wasn't planning on doing much drinking at all during the trip, as it seems like it's not really in the local culture, it being a Muslim country and all (hash and medjoun on the other hand...).

I'm a little nervous about the language barrier/getting scammed at the souks, and the toilet situation, but we are staying at riads, so I guess it's better than other places. Any feedback on squat toilets, western toilets, waffle stomping? Bring TP or not a big deal?

We're flying into Marrakesh, then taking a 3 day round about trip to Fez, then to Casablanca. I wanted to check out Tangier, but I hear it's pretty depressed. Chefchaouen looks like its too far away from Fez considering we're only there for 10 days.

Any suggestions on things to do, what to look out for, what not to miss? It seems pretty tourist friendly, so we figured that we would ask the owners of the riads for suggestions on hammams and tours, or music venues.

We're doing this 3 nights in the desert tour thing from Marakesh to Fez, that includes a camel ride and some other **** in the desert. I wish I could see the Sahara but maybe if I get to Egypt before the world comes crumbling down it'll happen. The fact that this thread exists here with people from TB having gone to Morocco makes me happy. This is like my one stop shopping site for everything.

Casablanca sucks. In the airport now headed back to the US. Loved the rest of the country but seriously skip Casa. It's grimy, people are rude, and everyone is trying to **** you over. I thought the bartering in other cities was fine, it was done with a twinkle in their eye. Here it seems to be done with a "screw you" attitude.

If you go to Marrakesh get to Jamaa el Fnaa, It's the big market/bazaar there. It's pretty commercial around the outer rim of the square. Lots of made in china crap, but if you go beyond that it can be an amazing experience. They have crazy food stalls at night and loads of entertainers, but it get's a bit wild. Start negotiating at like half of the stated cost of anything you want to buy, watch for pick pockets, especially after dark, don't watch entertainers unless you want to tip, and be prepared for cab fare's to be double heading back to your hotel, especially later in the evening.
If you dig the music, you can catch these kind of groups in the square at night.

Part 1:

Okay, so I'm sitting at the airport in Lisbon, waiting to go back to reality, which sucks. Morocco was awesome, but it's definitely a 3rd world country. Most people are really nice, but unless you're a local, you're going to get hassled more. The exchange rate is insane from USD to MAD so, spring for fancier things and you'll have a better time.

Marrakech: I liked Marrakech a lot, it had charm, beautiful art and insanely old history. We stayed close to Bab Doukkala which turned out to be a godsend. We stayed at Riad Abaca Badra, which was amazing. The interior was beautiful as it was a traditional, remodeled Riad and very relaxed. It was in an easily accessible area and only a 10 minute walk to Jemma el Fna, which is the center of the vortex. We were glad to be removed from the hustle bustle because EVERYONE is vying for your attention and money. I have a decent sized beard and I was called Ali Baba probably 100 times. Which at first was funny then annoying, then I didn't care anymore. Whoever said the touts were relentless here wasn't kidding. We couldn't even stop to look at anything without getting blasted with: "Excuse me! What is this? Sir? Look at this!" Plus the warren-like layout of the central Medina got us lost for almost 3 hours. It was really cool and extremely exotic but exhausting. This Medina allows animals and mopeds in the walls, so you have to constantly be aware of the fact that no one stops and my gf got hit a little bit by a moped. The flow of people is like a school of fish, and you better keep up where you fit in.

The shopping here is awesome, and I highly suggest going to the Ensemble Artisinal which is on the outskirts of the Medina, near the cyber park, on your way to the neighborhood of Guilez (the ville nouvelle). The artisans there don't hassle you because the prices are fixed and the quality is decent. I bought two sick linen shirts from this little Moroccan guy in my terrible French and a djellaba which is the traditional hooded robe for $60 USD. You'll be able to gauge what you think you should pay for stuff in the souks, and definitely have a game plan going in if you want to shop. Also get away from Jemma el Fna, it's the Chinatown of shopping, with obvious knockoff luxury brand clothes like Louis Vuitton and all that EuroTrash crap.

There are several souks dedicated to different items like the brass district, fabric, dyes, spices, leather, wood, you name it. Again though the roads aren't named, they all look the same, and when the shops are closed, nothing looks like you thought it did. People can also spot a tourist a mile away, so people will try to dupe you with bad directions, directions to other places, or shops that they know and can get a cut of a sale. People will also lie to you and say places are closed (palaces, Medersas, whatever they think you're looking for. No one was dangerous but I wouldn't want to be lost anywhere at night or with a head full of alchohol or whatever, it might get shady.

Continued:

When it comes to buying ****, we had a hard time deciding what something was worth considering the exchange rate was so good and $40 for a hand carved bellows made of cedar is a steal. They always start very high, so start a little under half and go up in increments that they go down. No money has transferred but once you shake, you're in kind of a gentleman's agreement. A lot of places sell similar items so if you think you can find it elsewhere for less, don't be afraid to just bail on the deal. Little kids and cookie sales people will try to put something in your hand and then want money from you, so keep your head on a swivel, you'll start to notice people hunting you for money. EVERYTHING is tip based here too, but again with the conversion it's not a big deal. Make sure to get coin Dirham if you're feeling annoyed by all the hassling for money, because all it takes for someone to stop bothering you is 1MAD which is literally .10¢.

Banks/ATMs can run out of money after the weekend so make sure you go to a well lit bank, or even better, go to the ville nouvelle if you're going to pull out cash. We took out 2000MAD at a time and even outside the Medina, people were just sitting around banks looking for money (esp kids). My gf and I talked a lot about the lack of industriousness for such a poor country. Some people sold cigarettes and scuzzy looking food or tissue paper (keep some handy for toilet paper on you at all times) which I guess is better than nothing, but there were PLENTY of people just sitting around literally doing nothing. Especially in the desert or in the Atlas Mountains.

It seems like the government could set up some sort of public works program to get people to work as unemployment is high, and people seemed to just sit in cafes (which are predominantly populated by men, unless you're a local, you'll probably get crummy service). At least get the trash problem under control or something. There seems little regard for keeping the streets clean.

A lot of shop owners will also follow you for a little bit to try to get your attention, but putting your hand up and a "no, merci" or even better well spoken Moroccan Arabic will get them to lay off. The only thing I remember was "no thank you," which is: la shukran which is pronounced "shoe-krahn."

Don't be those people that dress like tourists either, you stick out and become a major mark. No shorts, no t-shirts and women should avoid skirts or revealing too much skin. You won't be allowed into any mosques but female tourists don't have to cover their hair. My gf didn't get any **** but brought one cause we went to the Hassan II mosque and she wanted to be respectful (it wasn't required).

One thing I noticed was a decided lack of quality construction. I realize that Morocco is an old country, but there's a real "ehh **** it" when it comes to how things work. A lot of toilets flush poorly, people just throw trash on the road (there were fields of plastic in the desert that went as far as you could see), and anything drilled into the wall looks like a kid at a frat house installed it. Take quick showers and only drink bottled water. Everyone is hot and sweaty and a little smelly anyway (you will be too, just go with it. I've been wearing the same outfit since Fes and I was there like 3 days ago). When we were coming out of the desert on our way from Erg Chebbi (Saharan sand dunes) to Fes with our driver) there were road signs stenciled and spray painted every few kilometers for the city of Meknes, but it was upside down for like, a very long time. It was funny but spoke to the "ehh, good enough" mentality that I noticed.

Cabs/Taxis: If you don't speak really good French or Arabic, you're gonna get ****ed. They start insanely high and when you find out what locals pay and what tourists pay, you'll either want to walk or argue for a lower fare. Always ask if the meter is running, or try to negotiate a price. We walked everywhere most of the time anyway, but when we took a tour in Fes, our tour guide got a cab and it was 11-13MAD ($1.10) for the ride with tip included. On our own in Casablanca (which sucks) we paid 50MAD, for a 5 minute cab ride. Again it's only $5USD but when you get the local rate, it's clear you're getting taken for more than just a cab ride. We didn't bother with any Grand Taxis, only Petite, which all look the same and all look like they survived a war.

Fes: I loved Fes because it's 1200 years old and built chronologically from oldest to youngest up a hill in the mountains. Right now it's cool and breezy but with all the walking around it'll feel good. Fes is the craftsman center of Morocco so the factories are easier to find and the quality is on the whole better to find. We bought carpets and leather poufs and some fabrics which I can't wait to start wearing. I love the craftsmanship of Moroccan goods, and in Fes it's more relaxed and less pressure from the start. Once you enter bargaining mode though, they're very skilled at it, so make a list of what you want and go from there. We regretfully didn't have room to bring back any brass lamps or glass tea cups, and we

packed an extra empty duffle bag in our large suitcase and very sparse clothing. We could have gotten away with some fewer clothes (I only wore 2 pairs of pants and none of my t shirts) but we plan on going back, next time to Chefchouen and Tangier. Oh also definitely peep the tannery pits. They're filthy and smell like rotting piss and **** but they're still in use and the higher end leather goods are (we hope) pretty nice. We're hoping they don't smell when we get them back home.

We booked a 3 day tour with a private Berber guide from Marrakech to the desert and Fes that was a LOT of driving but totally worth it. After dealing with the Taxis and the other tours that people tried to get us on, I cannot recommend Tenere Tours enough. There was a mixup with the company and our guide spoke more Spanish than anything, which we only found out a few hours before we got dropped off, so we used my broken Spanish from high school and college to ask him more about the country and the Berber nomads. There's more poverty in the countryside so if you go, some coin Dirham goes a long way, you'll see so much varied terrain and it's so beautiful, I'm not afraid to admit that I cried a little bit. It's so heartbreakingly georgious, I dunno, thinking about the history of the Berber people and what they've been through (kind of like American Indians) it really gave me a deeper appreciation for desert culture, which I have a boner for anyway. My biggest regret is not buying a full length, indigo headwrap. I really wanted one, but waited too long and should hand bought it in the desert. If anyone is headed there I will gladly pay for the longest rich indigo blue, and an orange one you can find. I'll even throw in some Trillium and some HF shelf saisons in addition to paying for the wrap. They're probably less than $20. It's gotta be long as ****, you'll know it when you see it, its blue as blue can be and usually has black ends on either side, and made of a t-shirt material.

We hit many small towns, including the Rose Valley, Ziz and Todra George, Atlas (high and middle) sand dunes, Dades Valley (STAY AT ECOBIO RIAD), Ourzazate, Ait Ben Haddou (GoT film site) and a bunch of other places. Lots of driving in 3 days but worth it. We even were on set at a Chinese action film at Kasbah Amridil, which was a unique experience.

Casablanca sucks. It felt like grimy disenfranchised, poor, stereotypical Africa to me. The buildings were dirty, people were nasty, and we were treated rudely almost everywhere we went. Apparently statistics show that up to 25% to almost a 1/3 of the populace lives in shantytowns. The only really nice people here were those at the hotel we stayed at (**** riads and dars here) and the tour guide at the Hassan II mosque, which is the only thing worth seeing besides the lighthouse. We didn't feel unsafe but I didn't want to wander around at night and everyone seemed bristly, which is weird considering Casablanca is the industrial capital of Morocco. The Hassan II mosque is insanely massive and the craftsmanship that went into building it is awe inspiring. Again there's people looking for money here, but it's the only mosque you can enter as a filthy non-Muslim and it's worth the $12 to get the quick tour. Being there on a Friday or during Ramadan must be impressive.

Note on Friday: It's the Muslim holy day, so many places are closed. If you want to go shopping on Friday, get a state sponsored for guide and they'll take you to the factories that stay open later for honkeys.

Anyway that's a quick run down of what we saw. I'm glad I went, but tired as it's not a relaxing trip. We spent a night in Lisbon and LOVED it. Much cleaner and relaxed and the wine is very affordable. We went to an outdoor cafe and wept over the cured meats and cheeses that were served to us with affordable glasses of wine by beautiful olive skinned women. It's also spring here and there's leaves in the trees and moisture in the air. My beard is WRECKED after Morocco. Woke up with a hangover... #worthit.

Go to Morocco!

We've got our AIRBNB riads booked for Marrakech and Essouira, and will be staying with my wife's sister in Rabat. They have a car and she's fluent in French and Morrocan Arabic so that will be awfully nice. They're coming with us everywhere. Still debating Chefchouen and the Spanish protectorate of Ceuta. We'll probably just spend an afternoon in Casablanca for the mosque.

My wife has been to Morocco before, she really enjoyed Fes but we just don't have time for it on this trip. I'm sure we'll be back as her sister's position with the State Department doesn't have a time limit on it, as long as Trump doesn't delcare the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization and pull them out of the country.

HevvyMetalHippie said:
My biggest regret is not buying a full length, indigo headwrap. I really wanted one, but waited too long and should hand bought it in the desert. If anyone is headed there I will gladly pay for the longest rich indigo blue, and an orange one you can find. I'll even throw in some Trillium and some HF shelf saisons in addition to paying for the wrap. They're probably less than $20. It's gotta be long as ****, you'll know it when you see it, its blue as blue can be and usually has black ends on either side, and made of a t-shirt material.

I'll be there end of June, I can look around for you.

Had an awesome trip, got back midday yesterday. Ended up visiting Rabat, Safi, Sale, Marrakesh and Essaouira. We had an amazing riad in the medina in Marrakesh, very modern with a rooftop pool and AC which was a lifesaver due to it being 105-110 while were there. Crushed some cans of 3-Way up there with my brother in law which was most excellent. My daughter was a bit freaked out by call to prayer and the motorcycles zooming down the narrow streets, but she eventually got used to it. I loved being there at the end of Ramadan to see all the families come into the main square on Sunday night to celebrate Eid al Fitr. Essaouira was great, caught the first day of the Gnaoua Music Festival and rode camels on the beach with my daughter. Had amazing food and drank some super cold bottles of Flag, so all was good. Bought a ton of pottery, blankets and pillows. And grabbed a touareg for myself. We went to Safi on the way back to Rabat for some pottery shopping and did the same in Sale, which is right across the river from Rabat near the aiport. Found a shop that does the amazing concrete mosaic tiles and bought a display piece that we'll put somewhere in our house. We talked with the owner and I guess he's going to open a shop in Portland, which isn't surprising. Also, it's super advantageous to have a diplomat sister-in-law who speaks French and Moroccan Arabic. Everyone there was incredibly nice and I never felt like anyone was trying to rip us off but the change in tone and body language of the people when she or my brother-in-law would start speaking Moroccan Arabic was fascinating.

Had a bit of an adventure buying beer on the final day of Ramadan, but luckily made it to the Carrefour (only grocery chain in the country that still sells alcohol) before they shut down alcohol sales for five days after Ramadan. The Carrefour employee even put them all in a big black shopping bag of shame. After numerous pints of Casablanca and Flag Speciale, my vote goes for Flag. They taste the same and Flag is half the price.

Please post pictures if you're comfortable doing so!

I didn't take that many, but I'll go through what I've got and throw up a few.

404cd35e822c2f82c0f622e7fc4ebaae_640x640.jpg

3-Way from the roof of our riad in Marrakesh. More interesting pictures soon.

Back