Music of 2019

Help Support Talkbeer:

I'm still trying to figure out everything I missed from 2018, but the flow of new music isn't going to stop.

A few albums I'm looking forward to this year:
TV on the Radio (nothing confirmed, but c'mon guys!)
M83
Panda Bear
Toro Y Moi
The Hold Steady
Hot Chip
Chemical Brothers

And here are the first two tracks on my "2019" Spotify playlist:

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Fat White Family - Serf's Up (out in April)

So this sounds pretty different to everything else they've done before. I thought they were great when they were all on smack so this should be an interesting step forward now they're off the gear. It's a lot shinier production wise.

Fat White Family - Serf's Up (out in April)

So this sounds pretty different to everything else they've done before. I thought they were great when they were all on smack so this should be an interesting step forward now they're off the gear. It's a lot shinier production wise.

this is good

First two albums on my radar are:

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - South of Reality:

MONO - Nowhere Now Here:

Really curious to give a listen to that MONO album when it drops in a couple of weeks. Three songs teased so far, one is awesome, one is fairly innocuous and the third is good, if not a bit longer than I'd like.

Man, I feel like Sharon Van Etten just keeps getting better and better. If the first couple tracks released from her forthcoming album are any indication, that trend will continue.

This will be the 14th year I've been waiting on a follow up to Devin Davis' "Lonely People of the World Unite!"

Any thoughts on the new VW songs?
(Link to media)

So far so good, but doesn't exactly capture my attention as much as their previous efforts. Perhaps Rostam was responsible for their weirder touches?
Just listened to Harmony Hill. Not sold on it, but I'll give it another chance.

Dang, a lot of new shit dropping today. I haven't listened to most of it yet, but...

White Fence/Tim Presley
Beck
(previously mentioned) Vampire Weekend
Broken Social Scene
Jenny Lewis
Stephen Malkmus (electronic album - what?)
Bright Eyes/Phoebe Bridgers (as Better Oblivion Community Center)
Spiral Strars
Ryan Adams
Ty Segal
Air
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Strand of Oaks w/MMJ
Son Volt
Shovels & Rope
Chemical Brothers
Dandy Warhols

Interesting that Brian Jonestown & the Dandys released stuff on the same day. It's like the mid-90s all over again!

edit: couldn't post the Spotify playlist link from my browser, but worked on my phone. So here:

edit 2: fuck Weezer

So, turns out this isn't THE Air (French Band), but rather some crappy artist who couldn't be bothered to check to see if there's already a band called Air.

There's also a track on that playlist from "Luna." Not the Dean Wareham one though, but rather some crappy artist who couldn't be bothered to check to see if there's already a band called Luna.

The Better Oblivion Community Center album (Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers) is damn good.

A friend of mine told me he saw The Wrens perform in like 2005 or 2006 and they played a bunch of new songs. Makes it all the more frustrating.
I saw them in 2005 as well, they did a couple new songs. What an awesome show.

Listened to the MONO album I mentioned above....kind of a letdown. The single I posted earlier was far and away the best track and the album as a whole had too many lulls.

Next on my radar for albums worth checking out are Straight to CD from Heavy Lungs, out a week from Friday and High Anxiety from Oozing Wound, out mid-March. If any of you listened to the album IDLES put out last year and are familiar with the song Danny Nedelko, he is the singer for Heavy Lungs. Wasn't quite sold on their first EP, but it showed some promise, so I'm hopeful. Oozing Wound is kind of a weird combo of a thrash band with a tendency for some nice sludgy bass parts. Each band dropped teaser songs from their respective upcoming albums earlier this month. Also, the live version of Love Fuzz that Ty Segall released from his upcoming release is song of the year kind of good to me.

Group Builder