Music of 2019

Help Support Talkbeer:

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
I don't dislike them they just didn't have the same impact on me as the first three albums which was total Shock of the New territory. Particularly the lyrical content. This is totally a UK perspective by the way as the early albums were way more significant over there. Doolittle went top 10.

I don't dislike them they just didn't have the same impact on me as the first three albums which was total Shock of the New territory. Particularly the lyrical content. This is totally a UK perspective by the way as the early albums were way more significant over there. Doolittle went top 10.
That definitely seems to be the opinion of nearly everyone.

I slipped into listening to them in 7th grade when Trompe came out, and thats where I found my footing; the older stuff was a little too over my head then. I bet I'd feel differently if I discovered them later in life.

Is this like preferring the black album over Master of Puppets? Probably.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
Oooo, let me relive just learning about them too. What have you heard, whats your favorite material so far, etc....
Dunno which record was on while getting tattooed yesterday but i absolutely loved it....it was like the Melvins if they had Godflesh's guitars but were chainsaws. So i bought the new one, mind the drift and command your weather. I’ll go bandcamp and grab waterworks too on the recommendation of a friend.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
Also of note, i was at a Ganser show (friends of mine, great post-punk band) and their opener was Pixel Grip, which blew me the fuck away, they were so great...Goth Disco Pop.

Dunno which record was on while getting tattooed yesterday but i absolutely loved it....it was like the Melvins if they had Godflesh's guitars but were chainsaws. So i bought the new one, mind the drift and command your weather. I’ll go bandcamp and grab waterworks too on the recommendation of a friend.
They were one of my favorites for a while. I first heard them when they were part of the melvins and touring with them....best melvins shows I've ever seen with some killer dueling drum parts. Earlier stuff is a bit fuzzier and heavier....newer stuff seems a bit more polished. Jared's prior band, Karp, is also worth checking out if you can find it....probably on YouTube at least.

Their earlier material is more on the catchy end of things for sure; their later stuff seems subtle/subdued/experimental/self-indulgent to me.

"Head for the Shallows" and "Here Come the Waterworks" are chock full of rock. But I love albums that grow on me over time, or that I dont classify as "technically good but for some reason I love them anyway." And their last few def fall into that category.

I dont know why i typed all of those words, Pierre Pressure did a way better job than I did, and these opinions are painfully obvious to anyone who even takes a cursory listen. Sometimes I just like the sound of my own fingers typing. But I cant pass up a post about my beloved Big Biz without saying something.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here
Thom Yorke's album dropped today and they put one of the tracks on YouTube.

Also Amazon announced that Taylor Swift is headlining a Prime Day concert on July 10.

Thought I'd join in on this thread and contribute some. I'm more inline with Pierre Pressure's music tastes so far but also lean into folk, bluegrass, jam band space quite a bit. Also, since moving to Florida I have found a very large appreciation for "new age" reggae. It fits with the laid back beach vibe. That being said, this is my fave reggae album so far for 2019.

The Movement "Ways of the World"

(Link to media)

Edit: coach, not sure if you have heard of these guys but they're one of my favorite folk bands...think you may like them.

(Link to media)

Last edited:
Right, so I've fallen off posting in this thread recently, don't think I've posted any of this before, but forgive me if I have.

First up, I Complain from Philary which came out a couple of weeks ago. This is on the very short list of albums that have jumped out at me so far this year. Don't know a ton about it, but it appears to be a vehicle for the current bassist of Pile, who also put out one of the better albums from this year.

Out Friday, Goon - Heaven Is Humming:

Mid-August: The Body & Uniform collab:

For stuff I'm pretty sure I already posted, Lingua Ignota's album is out Friday, Tropical Fuck Storm and Russian Circles drop next month as does the first vinyl pressing of the Neurosis/Jarboe collab from the early 2000s.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here
571EEAE4-D53D-457D-B844-BE08858ABEEC.jpeg

Just got back from Carly Rae Jepsen and the best photo I got was of her back.

10/10 banger of a time

Came across an artist called Uboa a couple weeks back that has piqued my interest. Reminds me a bit of Lingua Ignota in some ways, only a bit less grand and instead of piano driven it is largely combining ambient and noise elements. Seems pretty prolific too, with a few albums/collabs having come out in the past year.

Latest posts