Music of 2019

Help Support Talkbeer:

KevSal

Supremium Porter
Just put up for pre-order is a new album from Big Business. First single was released as well. Like most of their more recent output, I don't like it quite as much as Head for the Shallow or Here Come the Waterworks, but still a damn fine band.

im diggin this tune, might need to check them out. kinda remind me of a cleaner Baroness

speaking of which Baroness is about due for another album this year, i know they've been working on one

Fuck yes. Finally a new King Gizz jam. Hope this means an album is coming soon.

(Link to media)
Should be, as if you had any doubt. They posted a photo of themselves in the studio with Gareth Liddiard of Tropical Fuck Storm and The Drones a couple weeks ago...no clue what form and under what name the results will find themselves, but I'm interested. From the little I've heard it sounds like it might be a bit more substantial than just a guest spot on a song or two.

Should be, as if you had any doubt. They posted a photo of themselves in the studio with Gareth Liddiard of Tropical Fuck Storm and The Drones a couple weeks ago...no clue what form and under what name the results will find themselves, but I'm interested. From the little I've heard it sounds like it might be a bit more substantial than just a guest spot on a song or two.
After dropping 5 albums in 2017 and then going all of 2018 with nothing to show for it, I wouldn’t have been surprised to find out they were dedicating themselves to a 5 year 100 song epic or someshit.

The collab you mention is news to me. Sounds like it could be something pretty special with those two groups. Absolutely loving the Aussie scene right now.

After dropping 5 albums in 2017 and then going all of 2018 with nothing to show for it, I wouldn’t have been surprised to find out they were dedicating themselves to a 5 year 100 song epic or someshit.

The collab you mention is news to me. Sounds like it could be something pretty special with those two groups. Absolutely loving the Aussie scene right now.
Collab speculation beyond him just dropping in for a song comes from this interview: https://thefirenote.com/2018/12/21/tfn-interview-with-tfs-gareth-liddiard/

Relevant passage: TFN: Is there any King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard collaboration in the future?

Gareth: Yeah, kind of, we just started working on a funny thing that we did. They came out to my house, if they’re not working they just record, that is how they manage to put out that much stuff. If they’re having a day off they’ll just record a fucking album and they come up to my joint and just recorded a bunch of stuff. We just had this big funny jam which I’ve got to get into it and cut it up and make some bizarre, weird fucking thing out of it. I’m going to start working on that this month. We’re going to start recording the new TFS album and so while I’m in the studio I’ll do some of this Gizz stuff too and see what happens.

Not gonna lie, UK and Australia might be putting out better music for my tastes than the US is right now. Still can't get into King Gizzard, though I appreciate much of what they're doing. You should check out Potion if you haven't already. They're a stoner metalish outfit from Sydney only have a couple of EPs out but sound pretty promising.

Rodrigo y Gabriela have their first album in five years due out in April. The vinyl they have up for preorder looks absolutely gorgeous and I could see this being one of the albums I regret not buying this year. Along with the announcement they dropped an 18 minute long cover of Pink Floyd that will be on the upcoming album.

well, this was good
(Link to media)

Colorado-based hydro-funk trio Sunsquabi will release their latest full-length album Instinct on January 11th. Led by a three-track series of singles “Caterpiller,” “Chrysalis,” and “Night Moth,” the LP finds the band at their highest peak as they have been dedicated to the metamorphosis of capturing elements in their live performances in the studio as improvisational jams have been fleshed out into full-blown songs and staples in their repertoire.

Instinct is a biological-themed journey of evolution. With the addition of Josh Fairman (bass/synth bass) last year and new levels of compositional prowess and sound design, it is evident that the group is dedicated to forward trajectory and experimentation. Each song’s namesake inspired by a creature or biological element is a reflection of every track taking on a distinct life of its own.

Flat Worms have an EP out Friday. Three piece garage outfit with Tim Hellman from Thee Oh Sees and it was recorded by Ty Segall, so I know it checks off several boxes for some of you.

Just put up for pre-order is a new album from Big Business. First single was released as well. Like most of their more recent output, I don't like it quite as much as Head for the Shallow or Here Come the Waterworks, but still a damn fine band.

Digging this song, I share your opinion on the last few releases. I loved the last one, but I think I was just in a good mood (read: high) when my impressions formed on it...nothing beats the first 2 (or 3) albums.

It better be fucking good, they only play new shit whenever they tour.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock

Album dropped today. Nothing radically different (thankfully based on some of his earlier forays into electronic music). Sounding good though. Might go and see him play in a couple of weeks if I can get my act together.

Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock

Album dropped today. Nothing radically different (thankfully based on some of his earlier forays into electronic music). Sounding good though. Might go and see him play in a couple of weeks if I can get my act together.

Shit, he's playing Brooklyn Steel? Didnt think he was playing venues that large.

I have yet to see him, so I too will try and get my act together.

Latest posts