Nashville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeox

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Nashville for my brother's bachelor party in a couple weeks (March 7-9). What breweries should we hit, mainly for drinking rather than brewery tours? Are there other beer destinations we need to hit while we're in town? We have a couple guys who are into beer, but mostly guys who are just into drinking in general. I didn't see any sort of guide for Nashville yet, and Yazoo is the only area brewery I know of, so I thought I'd get this thread started and see what's up.

The tap room at Corsair Distillery had some good regional stuff when I was there. Even though you aren't looking for tours, the one there is worth it. It's short and you get to do some sampling at the end.

Black Abbey was freaking awful. Nashville didn't seem like much of a beer town to me, but maybe locals will have better advice.

Not beer, but check out Monell's for some hangover breakfast.

I gotta ask, why Nashville?

Here is a write up I did a few months ago for another forum, let me know if you have any specific questions or would be interested in an IP trade...

Breweries:
Yazoo
- it's the most consistent and oldest, and usually putting out some solid stuff. They are currently teamed up with Brandon Jones who's a phenomenal homebrewer and the author of Embrace the Funk blog. They release very limited beers in their Embrace the Funk series. Some are funky and some are sour, but only one is bottled so far and others go on tap sporadically. Some people get upset that they only see Yazoo's regular lineup on shelves and unfortunately that is all they bottle. There have been a few one off things released for events in the past 3 years I've lived here, but otherwise it's just the regulars on the low grav side and bombers of Sue on the high grav (liquor store side)
Jackalope - They are indeed about a 3 minute walk from Yazoo's front door. Recommend to stop in and try their stuff when in the area
Fat Bottom - Pretty awesome taproom vibe and decent food. You can usually find one or two taps at almost any bar that serves some sort of craft in town
Cool Springs Brewery - about 15 miles south of Nashville this place often has some really solid beers available. They do have I think 4-5 regulars on tap. Usually, there are pretty unique ingredients going into the 2-4 rotating taps they have on at any given time.
Turtle Anarchy - They are located down in Franklin (not far from Cool Springs Brewery), which can be a 20-30min drive depending where you are in Nashville, but they are worth it. They have a solid lineup (one of which is an incredible stout) and they also have an experimental stout series called Fifty Shades of Black - playing with anything from weird ingredients to barrels. Check their facebook or call ahead to see what's on cuz it's never the same and sometimes they don't have any from the series on tap (though more rarely now they've been doing it awhile).
Black Abbey - this is the second newest brewery in town. IMO worth hitting as it's a short drive from downtown. Kinda a cool taproom that is a sectioned off part of the brewery and some pretty killer jalapeno rolls as a snack.
Tennessee Brew Works - A huge two story taproom with some solid beer. They appear to have 5 regulars now and a couple test batches so far that are very nice.
Blackstone- really well made beer beer - and they are starting to get into barrel aging. They have a bourbon barrel imperial milk stout on tap now and a BA RIS blend coming to bottles soon!

Shops:
Midtown Wine and Spirits
- They always have a big selection and get the limited stuff in decent quantity. Also one of the only places that allows you to make a mix 6er of almost anything on the low grav side (under 6.3%)
Frugals- Good selection and close to Yazoo/Jackalope so it's convenient to hit
Craft Brewed Nashville- the new place in town. They are a store, bar, and homebrew shop. They are quick to get into the scene and from what I've seen now get the highest quantity of limited stuff. The taps they have (about 20) rotate very frequently and offer some local stuff that doesn't go elsewhere. High grav store and low grav store/bar are right next to each other and just a 5 minute drive away from Yazoo.

Last edited:
Oh, and non beer related... Get some Nashville Hot Chicken. Princes if you want "The Experience" or Hattie B's if you just wanna try some damn good chicken that will punish your insides... It hurts soo good, trust me

Here is a write up I did a few months ago for another forum, let me know if you have any specific questions or would be interested in an IP trade...

Breweries:
Yazoo
- it's the most consistent and oldest, and usually putting out some solid stuff. They are currently teamed up with Brandon Jones who's a phenomenal homebrewer and the author of Embrace the Funk blog. They release very limited beers in their Embrace the Funk series. Some are funky and some are sour, but only one is bottled so far and others go on tap sporadically. Some people get upset that they only see Yazoo's regular lineup on shelves and unfortunately that is all they bottle. There have been a few one off things released for events in the past 3 years I've lived here, but otherwise it's just the regulars on the low grav side and bombers of Sue on the high grav (liquor store side)
Jackalope - They are indeed about a 3 minute walk from Yazoo's front door... If you want some extra ticks on Untappd, might as well stop in; otherwise they just aren't worth it, IMO. Very inconsistent and subpar beer coming from them
Fat Bottom - Pretty awesome taproom and decent food, but the beer isn't quite there yet. It's not terrible, but definitely nothing to make you want to go back. You can usually find one or two taps at almost any bar that serves some sort of craft in town
Cool Springs Brewery - about 15 miles south of Nashville this place is really hit or miss. They do have I think 4 regulars on tap, which are decent and drinkable beers. But, there are usually pretty unique ingredients going into the 2-4 rotating taps they have on at any given time and sometimes they are awesome and sometimes I can't finish the pint.
Turtle Anarchy - Alright, these are the guys to hit when you visit if at all possible. They are located down in Franklin (not far from Cool Springs Brewery), which can be a 20-30min drive depending where you are in Nashville, but they are worth it. They have a solid ass lineup (one of which is an incredible stout) and they also have an experimental stout series called Fifty Shades of Black - playing with anything from weird ingredients to barrels. Check their facebook or call ahead to see what's on cuz it's never the same and sometimes they don't have any from the series on tap (though more rarely now they've been doing it awhile).
Black Abbey - this is the second newest brewery in town. Not amazing, but IMO worth hitting as it's a short drive from downtown. Kinda a cool taproom that is a sectioned off part of the brewery and some pretty killer jalapeno rolls as a snack.
Tennessee Brew Works - The newest kids on the block, these dudes put some damn money into their place. A huge two story taproom with some solid beer. They appear to have 5 regulars now and a couple test batches so far and they are going to be up there with the best in town if they keep it up...
Blackstone and Boscos- they are the brewpubs that have been around for a long time. Boscos has the better food and atmosphere, but Blackstone has the better beer - and they are starting to get into barrel aging. They have a bourbon barrel imperial milk stout on tap now and a BA RIS blend coming to bottles soon!

Shops:
Midtown Wine and Spirits
- They always have a big selection and get the limited stuff in decent quantity. Also one of the only places that allows you to make a mix 6er of almost anything on the low grav side (under 6.3%)
Frugals- not quite the selection or the quality of stuff as Midtown, but they are close to Yazoo/Jackalope and convenient to hit
Craft Brewed Nashville- the new place in town. They are a store, bar, and homebrew shop. They are quick to get into the scene and from what I've seen now get the highest quantity of limited stuff. The taps they have (about 20) rotate very frequently and offer some local stuff that doesn't go elsewhere. High grav store and low grav store/bar are right next to each other and just a 5 minute drive away from Yazoo. Service (especially on the high grav side) is second to none in the local beer scene.

This is perfect -- exactly what I was hoping already existed. Turtle Anarchy was not at all on my radar, and I don't know what our transportation options are going to be like but this place sounds super cool.

I'll start a convo a bit later with some IP trade ideas if the timing works out. Thanks!

Ahhh.. also when I originally wrote that I was just answering for someone who was asking about breweries and close by bottle shops. Since you have some non beer drinking guys in your group I should throw some bar suggestions at you..

Downtown:
Broadway Brewhouse
Flying Saucer
Beer Seller

***All of these have the most taps, with about half of them being local or interesting stuff you probably can't get in Chicago... Brewhouse and Beer Seller have more liquor and BMC types of beer for the guys in your group that aren't big beer guys
Pub 5 - very small taplist, but local or solid craft. Same owners as 12 South Taproom (see below) so it's gastropub style and great food. Really cool environment and rooftop bar

8-12min drive from Downtown:
Brewhouse Midtown - same style as the Broadway one above, but about 30 taps ALL of which are pretty decent. (directly across the road from my hot chicken suggestion above- Hattie B's... seriously, they are right next to each other)
Craft Brewed Nashville - see in my write up above; this place is awesome... bar and bottle shop. Only downside here is they can't get their high grav license to serve at the bar, so only beers 6.3% or below can be ordered to drink there.
12 South Taproom - Very quality, gastropub style place.. Check their facebook page, as they usually post their taplist once or twice a week. Great food too... Nice BBQ joint just two blocks away too called Edley's if you guys want some southern made meat
Corsair Taproom - as TNGabe said above, this place has some good taps and they make their own high quality liquors too. Pretty decorated place if your buddies like whiskey... If they are interested in the distillery side of things, definitely go here

If you end up sending me an PM, let me know where you're staying and I can help ya out a little more; but figured this might be a good reference to use for the future Nashville related threads so I'm throwing it all out there.

Cheers

Last edited:
Black Abbey was freaking awful.
Curious why you thought this?

I think they are actually putting out some decent beers. Their regulars are all pretty sessionable and I don't get any inherent off flavors or anything. They recently did an export stout (wicket gate) and a Buffalo Trace aged coffee porter (BA Potus 44) that were both absolutely top notch... I'm yet to find anyone local who thinks they are anywhere close to 'freaking awful'

Last edited:
Curious why you thought this?

I think they are actually putting out some decent beers. Their regulars are all pretty sessionable and I don't get any inherent off flavors or anything like Jackalope brews. They recently did an export stout (wicket gate) and a Buffalo Trace aged coffee porter (BA Potus 44) that were both absolutely top notch... Not saying they are putting out stop you in your tracks beer, but I'm yet to find anyone local who thinks they are anywhere close to 'freaking awful'

Maybe I went in on a really bad day, but between the three of us we tried four beers that ranged from not good to awful. The berliner weisse was sour mashed and had some enteric bacteria off flavors. I also ordered a 'belgian' brown (?) that had acetaldehyde out the wazoo and was undrinkable. My wife got a flavored stout of some sort. I asked her is she remembered what was bad about it and neither of us do, but it was more than half full when we left. I think my SIL had a saison, also mostly undrank when we decided to go. 0-4 on the beers we tried put them in the 'don't visit' category for me.

I'm going to be in Nashville for my brother's bachelor party in a couple weeks (March 7-9). What breweries should we hit, mainly for drinking rather than brewery tours? Are there other beer destinations we need to hit while we're in town? We have a couple guys who are into beer, but mostly guys who are just into drinking in general. I didn't see any sort of guide for Nashville yet, and Yazoo is the only area brewery I know of, so I thought I'd get this thread started and see what's up.

If you are at Yazoo one of those days I might be able to meet up with you for a beer

I'm heading down to Nashville in about two weeks and everything in this thread is insanely helpful and awesome. It covered everything i wanted to know except for one question: What is a decent bar with live music and beer? (Or just good music)

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info! I'm headed to Nashville tomorrow 3/4-8. This is a huge help as I plan my trip. I'll be hitting several of these places Wednesday night by myself if anyone wants to meet up for a beer, and then the wife comes in on Thursday and we are hitting Bluebird & GOO.

Cheers!

Is everything in fairly up to date? I'll be passing through next month and I'd like to make a couple of stops.

Any updates TheGordianKnot?

Any suggestions on good whiskey selections?

Super dope bbq ribs?

Staying near Vanderbilt in late May. Thanks!
So many things have changed in the past 2.5 years since that first write up... There are some new breweries, I definitely recommend checking out Smith & Lentz, Bearded Iris, and Southern Grist; the last two have only been open 2 months now.

My favorite BBQ in town is Martins, there are a couple locations; and Peg Leg Porker (which is right behind Yazoo/Jackalope) is really awesome as well. In addition to BBQ, please do yourself a favor and check out Thunderbird - it is a food truck that is located at Craft Brewed on weekends. Thunderbird is hands down the best chicken I've ever had in my life. Get the thighs and the smoked mac n cheese. The owner is one of the nicest guys around, too.

I'm not the best to ask on whiskey/bourbon, especially at retail; but for one of the best meals/cocktails/spirits selections and overall experience in town you must hit up Husk... seriously

Hop Stop is a newer (wasn't around during my first post) beer bar in Nashville, on the east side. It's probably my favorite one now.

Lastly, if you are making your brewery rounds and happen to hit up Southern Grist Brewing, ask for Jared. That's me... and it's my place. Would love to have a fellow TB'er in and chat, as well as share something nice with you

So many things have changed in the past 2.5 years since that first write up... There are some new breweries, I definitely recommend checking out Smith & Lentz, Bearded Iris, and Southern Grist; the last two have only been open 2 months now.

My favorite BBQ in town is Martins, there are a couple locations; and Peg Leg Porker (which is right behind Yazoo/Jackalope) is really awesome as well. In addition to BBQ, please do yourself a favor and check out Thunderbird - it is a food truck that is located at Craft Brewed on weekends. Thunderbird is hands down the best chicken I've ever had in my life. Get the thighs and the smoked mac n cheese. The owner is one of the nicest guys around, too.

I'm not the best to ask on whiskey/bourbon, especially at retail; but for one of the best meals/cocktails/spirits selections and overall experience in town you must hit up Husk... seriously

Hop Stop is a newer (wasn't around during my first post) beer bar in Nashville, on the east side. It's probably my favorite one now.

Lastly, if you are making your brewery rounds and happen to hit up Southern Grist Brewing, ask for Jared. That's me... and it's my place. Would love to have a fellow TB'er in and chat, as well as share something nice with you

Damn, thanks for this. Driving down from Louisville with a friend on the 16th for his birthday, but hadn't made any plans other than "drink beer." Looks like you're def gonna be the first stop.

Headed down tomorrow with fear025 and my father for the weekend / Funk Festival on Saturday.

Will be trying to hit Bearded Iris, Southern Grist as a couple of new breweries I haven't had a chance to check out on my first couple of trips, but what is it with the late opening times for almost every brewery in Nashville? Something to do with a city ordinance? Or just a business decision?

I'm used to Chicagoland places opening up on Noon Friday - Sunday.

Will likely be at Yazoo around opening tomorrow and then will be hitting up the New Belgium event at 7 tomorrow night if any fellow TB members will be around.

i'm coming to town tomorrow for the first time, but i'll be staying in franklin with 2 coworkers and only one rental car. any bottle shop and food suggestions for that area? looks like we're a good 20 miles from southern grist but i might try to uber up there and check it out.

i'm coming to town tomorrow for the first time, but i'll be staying in franklin with 2 coworkers and only one rental car. any bottle shop and food suggestions for that area? looks like we're a good 20 miles from southern grist but i might try to uber up there and check it out.
Definitely hit up Mantra.. great taproom right by downtown Franklin area; they are putting out some awesome beer. Brewhouse South is close with a lot of taps, most of them are good craft. Lastly, I've heard Casual Pint is awesome, but I moved away from the Franklin area before they opened, so I haven't experienced myself.

Red Dog and The Bottle Shop (on McEwen, right next to Whole Foods) are the two best bottle shops in the area. Cool Springs Wine and Spirits is also good.

Food wise, there is a hot chicken place in Franklin called Big Shakes - if you're looking to try Nashville hot chicken but won't be by the city, this'll do you well. Tupelo Honey just opened a location south of Nashville that won't be far. There are some other restaurants with decent (for the area) taplists if you want more basic food - Brixx for wood fired pizzas is the main one that jumps out.

Definitely hit up Mantra.. great taproom right by downtown Franklin area; they are putting out some awesome beer. Brewhouse South is close with a lot of taps, most of them are good craft. Lastly, I've heard Casual Pint is awesome, but I moved away from the Franklin area before they opened, so I haven't experienced myself.

Red Dog and The Bottle Shop (on McEwen, right next to Whole Foods) are the two best bottle shops in the area. Cool Springs Wine and Spirits is also good.

Food wise, there is a hot chicken place in Franklin called Big Shakes - if you're looking to try Nashville hot chicken but won't be by the city, this'll do you well. Tupelo Honey just opened a location south of Nashville that won't be far. There are some other restaurants with decent (for the area) taplists if you want more basic food - Brixx for wood fired pizzas is the main one that jumps out.

thanks! had dinner at tupelo honey last night. hot chicken is on the list for sure. appreciate the detailed response.

Anything new worth mentioning TheGordianKnot? I just got in town and will be around until Saturday. Staying at the Aloft and have a car. I think I'm planning to hit breweries, including yours, tomorrow during the day. Hattie B's and Peg Leg are definitely on the list at some point as well.

Oh, and YITBOS!
tumblr_nubd05PkUk1spp5h7o1_250.gif

Bump. Gonna be in town this weekend for a bachelor party. Anything different than what's already included in this thread I should know about?

tumblr_nubd05PkUk1spp5h7o1_250.gif

Bump. Gonna be in town this weekend for a bachelor party. Anything different than what's already included in this thread I should know about?
A new brewery just opened up a week or so ago in the vicinity of Smith & Lentz and Southern Grist called East Nashville Beer Works... Haven't had the pleasure of checking them out myself quite yet, but I am going to try to swing by this weekend

Everything else is pretty same 'ol

Hey guys, my parents are going to Nashville tomorrow through Wednesday. They're big beer people and my dad has mapped some stuff out but where and what should they be drinking? My dad likes everything, my mom is into sour beers more than anything else.

Also, what should I ask them to bring me?

Bumping cause I can.

My parents got there yesterday, sounds like they had a good time last night. They went down to Mantra this morning, and they're at Bearded Iris right now. My mom just texted me a picture of a four-pack of the new Chasing Rainbows IPA they're bringing me and single cans of Attention Please, Homestyle and Scatterbrain. Anything else I should have them keep an eye out for? Good bottled saisons anywhere?

Bumping cause I can.

My parents got there yesterday, sounds like they had a good time last night. They went down to Mantra this morning, and they're at Bearded Iris right now. My mom just texted me a picture of a four-pack of the new Chasing Rainbows IPA they're bringing me and single cans of Attention Please, Homestyle and Scatterbrain. Anything else I should have them keep an eye out for? Good bottled saisons anywhere?
Chaising Rainbows is the worst Bearded Iris has canned by a lot. It's bad hazy. Love their other beers. Not much else to look for in cans or bottles. Southern Grist might have cans and does crowlers.

Chaising Rainbows is the worst Bearded Iris has canned by a lot. It's bad hazy. Love their other beers. Not much else to look for in cans or bottles. Southern Grist might have cans and does crowlers.

That's a bummer. Still excited to try it and the other three IPAs, though.

That's a bummer. Still excited to try it and the other three IPAs, though.
I hope it's better from the brewery and the cans had a bad trip up here. Everything else is great. It's nice to finally have some beer that I want to buy here and that it's brewed in TN is even better. Really cool tap room vibe, too. Hope your folks liked it.

Heading to Nashville with the wife in late May. I'm sure she'll entertain a stop or two. Anything outside of Yazoo, Southern Grist, Bearded Iris and Smith and Lentz that would be worth a stop if I'm limited to a couple stops while in Nashville? Staying at the Omni without a car so hoping to walk/short Uber to any available options.

Also any recommendations for an upscale-ish dining option? Tried to convince the wife on the Catbird Seat although she isn't a very adventurous eater so the lack of knowing the menu for that evening made it a no-go. Thanks in advance!

Back