New Haven Bottle Share Nov. 17th at Caseus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primebeer

Assistant to the Regional Moderator
Reaction score
(X-post from CT thread, sorry!)

Hey guys, I just started a new position at Caseus in New Haven and the owners happen to love craft beer as much as I do (they also co-own Black Hog). Since the restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday evenings, we often set up cheese pairing classes and other events to fill the space. Since we were doing so many other events, I thought why not a bottle share?

Here's the info blurb I've put together for the event. Should be a good time and although I'll be working, I'll also be bringing in some gems to share with people who show up. Let me know if you have any questions!

For the first time on Monday, November 17th Caseus Fromagerie and Bistro will be hosting a bottle share event at the restaurant. Bring a couple of friends and a couple of bottles you'd like to share and have a great time!

We'll be putting out some great cheese and charcuterie platters and we'll also have a bartender on hand serving draft beer and bottles as well as continuously making sure we have enough clean glassware. To cover the food and staff for the evening, there will be a $10 entry fee to partake.

Although the event is new, we'd like to run it with three very simple rules to keep things relaxed and fun:

Rule #1: Don't be a jerk!
Rule #2: Respect the restaurant and staff. They're working hard so everyone can have a good time!
Rule #3: If you're not willing to share a bottle with everyone and anyone attending, don't bring it!

Not everyone will get to try every beer, but we'd like to avoid any snobbery or exclusivity and want to keep things fun and open for seasoned beer vets as well as newcomers to the craft beer scene.

We hope to run this event on a monthly or semi-monthly basis and we'd love to see as many of you at the event as possible. The event will run from 6-9pm and we expect people to arrive and depart at various times throughout the evening. For this first run we will be limiting attendance to 30 people. The restaurant is located on 93 Whitney Ave in downtown New Haven.

If you'd like to attend, just send an email to [email protected] with your name and the names of any other people who will be joining you to confirm your spot. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot an email to the above address. Cheers!

This sounds like a great idea, and the actual space in Caseus is beautiful!
How will the sharing take place? For instance: I bring a 500ml bottle and there are 30 people in attendance. How is it decided on who gets a sample?

This sounds like a great idea, and the actual space in Caseus is beautiful!
How will the sharing take place? For instance: I bring a 500ml bottle and there are 30 people in attendance. How is it decided on who gets a sample?

Hey, great question! Based on the number of people attending, not every person will be able to try every bottle. The restaurant will be set up with several tables in the bar area where people will be able to put out bottles and share and socialize as they please. I envision a scenario in which people meander from table to table and try bottles here and there. To be more specific, if you've spoken with a certain person who has X bottle that you'd really like to try, you can take that into account. I'd like to avoid an announcement-style system where each bottle is equally poured among all guests. By nature this will be a social event and I will do my best to facilitate sharing amongst different groups that are there.

The event will naturally evolve with time and we plan on working out these types of issues as we go. There's no way to please everyone but we hope to have the event run smoothly and have a bunch of beers enjoyed by a great crew of beer enthusiasts. Cheers

This sounds great. Already got a reply to my email and I'm looking forward to meeting whoever else shows up.

I guess put me on the waitlist if someone can't +1 me...

Had a fun time - Thanks Etkin!

Highlight of my night was trying to pour the Abyss bottle, only to realize that it was unopened and still waxed. Whoops :oops:
Was it you, or HopStunna that brought that, who I also met? because I think I may have failed to meet you again.

I was the guy that brought the De Garde, and 3F bottles, who stuck to the corner of the room mostly...

Was it you, or HopStunna that brought that, who I also met? because I think I may have failed to meet you again.

I was the guy that brought the De Garde, and 3F bottles, who stuck to the corner of the room mostly...
HopStunna brought that. I did say hi to you when the Backacre was opened, thinking it was you guys that brought it. So that was me

edit - but yeah, I wasn't in that corner for very long

Last edited:
Oh yeah. that's right! That counts.

I came late, and corner real estate was all I could get... plus my wife gets weird when a bunch of dudes are bumping into her...

Does anyone have a pic of the final graveyard that they could post? I forgot to take one.

Awesome event last night! Thanks to everyone, especially you TB'ers, for making the effort to show up. I got to meet a lot of you and I look forward to the next time we can meet up and share some beers.

I'll be sure to post here first when I have a date decided for the next share. I'll also be mailing out a survey for those who attended to see how we can improve the event for next time.

In the meantime, here's the graveyard for the event:

C3i2Fn8.jpg

Pzwy6ua.jpg

mUyFp8b.jpg

HopStunna also brought the derp lord. :rolleyes: Jk Hopstunna is a good dude haha

GMRfx that first de Garde bottle you opened was awesome! Will be seeking to trade for some de Garde in the near future.

I wasn't there, but the Monday thing is kind of a bummer for me. I know you're closed on Mon/Tues, but it makes it hard to attend if you live a bit away like I do.

Back