Official Afterthought Brewing Company Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebs

Reaction score
Now that Afterthought Brewing is officially open for business a big shout out and congrats is due to Thorpe429! First commercial event was a rousing success and I've got some some test batches to drink. Can't wait to dive into more of them!

Facebook page: Afterthought Brewing Co

Instagram: Afterthought Brewing Co

Test batch for Saison Amer: Galaxy. Blonde Saison hopped with Galaxy hops.

Perfect golden clear pour. Nose is candied lemon and tropical fruit. Absolutely insane taste. Bursting with notes of passion fruit and light lemongrass, subtle tartness. Mild funk with a drying finish. Light cracker malt backbone to give it some body. Mouthfeel is spot on. Super clean and crushable. Absolutely delicious.

Can't wait to get into my other bottles and the first commercial bottle release coming soon! Congrats again Mike!

Last edited:
Test batch of Saison Amer : Nelson Sauvin

Great golden pour, more lemon rind and citrus on the nose than the Galaxy version. More tartness and lemongrass on taste with a subtle white grape note from the Nelson Sauvin. Clean and crisp. Super crushable of course.

Another winner!

For those of you not following on Facebook, a small run of bottles should be released in the next 3-4 weeks. Beers will be:
  • Saison Avec: Passion Fruit -- Blonde mixed fermentation saison fermented in virgin oak with passion fruit.
  • Saison Meer: Gin Barrel -- Blonde mixed fermentation saison fermented in gin barrels.
  • Saison Avec: Gin Barrel & Yuzu -- Same as above but further aged with yuzu puree.

For those of you not following on Facebook, a small run of bottles should be released in the next 3-4 weeks. Beers will be:
  • Saison Avec: Passion Fruit -- Blonde mixed fermentation saison fermented in virgin oak with passion fruit.
  • Saison Meer: Gin Barrel -- Blonde mixed fermentation saison fermented in gin barrels.
  • Saison Avec: Gin Barrel & Yuzu -- Same as above but further aged with yuzu puree.

Gin barrel saisons. My man.

Congrats. Those all sound amazing.

Gin Barrel AND Yuzu. FML I need that.

I need this inside of me

I'll add that everything was tasty at the beer cellar event. House blend of microbes and a focus on saison.

Biere de Pieces #1 was legit. If I remember correctly it was a blend of saison meer, saison meer gin barrel, and the apricot saison.

Looking forward to the future of afterthought!

I'll add that everything was tasty at the beer cellar event. House blend of microbes and a focus on saison.

Biere de Pieces #1 was legit. If I remember correctly it was a blend of saison meer, saison meer gin barrel, and the apricot saison.

Looking forward to the future of afterthought!

Thanks! That's correct on the blend. Biere de Pieces #1 will be made again and bottled. Probably late summer or early fall since I can't make the apricot portion again until I can get my hands on some fruit.

Test batch of Saison Avec : Watermelon

Watermelon jolly rancher, light tartness. Underlying lemon grass and citrus. Juicy and slightly bitter.
Light and crisp mouthfeel, dry finish.

Perfect beer for 80+ degrees.

Repeat everything he said. The level of watermelon flavor while still retaining traditional Saison flavors is impressive. I haven't had this much watermelon in a beverage since we dropped jolly ranchers in Zima back in college.

Fantastic stuff! Thanks for sharing it Thorpe!

Very nice nose of fruit, lactic tartness and bready malt. Flavor is again fruity with a touch of spiciness and some great citrus finishing. Just a crusher.

Saison Meer

DSC01146_zpsd6ludwuc.jpg

Gin barrel beers?!?
tumblr_mzncp3nYXh1syplf0o1_250.gif

I've only tried the watermelon saison and that was great :)

I'll be making as many gin barrel beers as I can. Always looking for more Midwestern gin barrels so anyone let me know if they have any leads!

Dangit of course I'm out of town that weekend

If it's any consolation, I plan to make all three of these on a fairly-regular basis, gin barrel availability allowing.

I'll be making as many gin barrel beers as I can. Always looking for more Midwestern gin barrels so anyone let me know if they have any leads!

If it's any consolation, I plan to make all three of these on a fairly-regular basis, gin barrel availability allowing.
That's a great consolation! Congrats again brother and can't wait to try some of these brews

This is exactly why I'm all-in!

Is the Beer Cellar the only location seeing bottles for this release, or will there be any distribution closer to Chicago? I'm a self proclaimed saison slut and I'd love to give some of these a try, but getting to Glen Ellyn is a bit of a stretch given my packed schedule lately.

Is the Beer Cellar the only location seeing bottles for this release, or will there be any distribution closer to Chicago? I'm a self proclaimed saison slut and I'd love to give some of these a try, but getting to Glen Ellyn is a bit of a stretch given my packed schedule lately.

Only Beer Cellar for this one. Potentially some bottles in Chicago for future release but the vast majority will stay in the Western Suburbs as close to us as possible.

19275268_1806638319348119_5774061436530241651_n.jpg

19396716_1806638352681449_837863396568127103_n.jpg

19396841_1806638406014777_8433438669636397387_n.jpg

Helped Thorpe429 label up the above mentioned beers this evening for the bottle release this Saturday at Beer Cellar with mjohnson17, Dan S (not sure if he's active on here) and LT.

We didn't open up the Saison Avec: Passion Fruit tonight, but the Saison Avec: Gin Barrel & Yuzu and Saison Meer: Gin Barrel were both tasting spectacular and in my opinion even a step above the draft pours from Beer Cellar and Lombard Ale Fest.

Passion Fruit Saison Avec

Heavy passion fruit nose. Extremely bright taste, nice passion fruit citrus, some tartness with an underlying lactic quality reminiscent of fruit yogurt. Prickley carbonation, a tad more than the Meer I opened yesterday. Slightly dry finish. Delicious up and down.

Passion Fruit Saison Avec

Heavy passion fruit nose. Extremely bright taste, nice passion fruit citrus, some tartness with an underlying lactic quality reminiscent of fruit yogurt. Prickley carbonation, a tad more than the Meer I opened yesterday. Slightly dry finish. Delicious up and down.

kl2nUgZ.jpg

Your picture is better than mine, Treebs. :/

Delicious beer. Will consume this too quickly without realizing it.

Stopped by the Beer Cellar on Saturday for the Afterthought bottle release grabbed my limit of both releases.... Awesome job again Thorpe429 both are tasting great and always a welcome addition to a market that is short on Saisons/barrel aged saisons and mixed fermentation beers. I did stop and say congrats to you at the beer cellar on Saturday but wanted to follow up with you after I tried the bottles and echo my sentiments here online. Can't wait for the next bottle release

Just because no one has mentioned this specifically yet, I want to give Afterthought a shout out for 3 key factors: nice low ABV for easy drinking, 500 mL single service bottles, and an excellent $10-$12 price point. Afterthought (and Dovetail if they start canning or bottling) have to be the official local sponsors for #dadlife drinking. Can't beat full flavor, single service beers at 5% and below.

Just because no one has mentioned this specifically yet, I want to give Afterthought a shout out for 3 key factors: nice low ABV for easy drinking, 500 mL single service bottles, and an excellent $10-$12 price point. Afterthought (and Dovetail if they start canning or bottling) have to be the official local sponsors for #dadlife drinking. Can't beat full flavor, single service beers at 5% and below.
I'm not even a dad and I agree 100% with this.

Back