Official Cat Pix Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

My poor Ghost. Tuesday morning he was acting oddly--moving very slowly and constantly stopping to lick his genitals. We realized he hadn't been urinating normally. I took him to the Vet first thing but they didn't have a Dr in till 11. They said if he wasn't passing urine at all it was dangerous and we should take him to an emergency vet. The emergency vet took him in immediately and had to catheterize him. He had crystals in his urine. Crystals group up and cause inflammation in the urethra and close it up entirely. They had to leave the catheter in until he was completely clear. Once they removed the catheter he was good for awhile but then had difficulty passing urine again. They had to clear out his urethra again. They told us that if it doesn't clear up they would have to catheterize him again and, if necessary, have surgery to correct the problem. I got the call at work this morning that everything was good and he was passing urine normally and everything was clear. I started to tear up out of relief and soon found myself holding back from crying. I guess I was more worried about him than I realized. Looks like he's going to be okay, we'll just have to keep him on a prescription diet from now on to help prevent crystals from forming again.

And all this days before we were supposed to leave for vacation.

Looks like he's going to be okay, we'll just have to keep him on a prescription diet from now on to help prevent crystals from forming again.
Glad he's doing better. Definitely keep a close eye on him, cats who have had these types of problems before are notorious for having them arise again.

Beyond the prescription diet, try to encourage him to drink lots of water also. I went the route of having two recirculating fountains in my apartment, right next to places where he likes to hang out and that seems to have helped out a lot.

Glad he's doing better. Definitely keep a close eye on him, cats who have had these types of problems before are notorious for having them arise again.

Beyond the prescription diet, try to encourage him to drink lots of water also. I went the route of having two recirculating fountains in my apartment, right next to places where he likes to hang out and that seems to have helped out a lot.
How often do you clean the fountain?

My poor Ghost. Tuesday morning he was acting oddly--moving very slowly and constantly stopping to lick his genitals. We realized he hadn't been urinating normally. I took him to the Vet first thing but they didn't have a Dr in till 11. They said if he wasn't passing urine at all it was dangerous and we should take him to an emergency vet. The emergency vet took him in immediately and had to catheterize him. He had crystals in his urine. Crystals group up and cause inflammation in the urethra and close it up entirely. They had to leave the catheter in until he was completely clear. Once they removed the catheter he was good for awhile but then had difficulty passing urine again. They had to clear out his urethra again. They told us that if it doesn't clear up they would have to catheterize him again and, if necessary, have surgery to correct the problem. I got the call at work this morning that everything was good and he was passing urine normally and everything was clear. I started to tear up out of relief and soon found myself holding back from crying. I guess I was more worried about him than I realized. Looks like he's going to be okay, we'll just have to keep him on a prescription diet from now on to help prevent crystals from forming again.

Glad to hear he's doing better. Good news they didn't have to do surgery. We had the same thing happen with Pandy a few years ago. Emergency vet and all, because of course we noticed it on a Sunday evening.

Welcome to $100 cases of prescription cat food!

How often do you clean the fountain?
I take the fountains apart and clean them every weekend. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but they get gross if I let them go any longer than that.

I also use replaceable charcoal filters in each which is probably overkill, but they're cheap enough that I don't care too much.

We had one of those fountains for our last cat. He loved to drink out of the running bath faucet so we figured he'd really like it. He loved it. He used to take naps cuddled up to it. We also fed him pumpkin for additional moisture. We thought it might be tricky to get him to eat it, but he loved that, too.

I take the fountains apart and clean them every weekend. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but they get gross if I let them go any longer than that.

I also use replaceable charcoal filters in each which is probably overkill, but they're cheap enough that I don't care too much.
I was thinking about getting one for the cats, but concerned about the effort needed to keep it clean. How long does it take you to clean it?

We recently got two automatic food feeders for their breakfasts and it’s been a game changer. The cats used to disrupt our sleeps, but since we’ve gotten the feeders, they just wait till they hear them activate. I’m not sure how we lived without them for so long.

I was thinking about getting one for the cats, but concerned about the effort needed to keep it clean. How long does it take you to clean it?

We recently got two automatic food feeders for their breakfasts and it’s been a game changer. The cats used to disrupt our sleeps, but since we’ve gotten the feeders, they just wait till they hear them activate. I’m not sure how we lived without them for so long.
The full process of breaking everything down, cleaning, reassembling, and refilling takes about 15 minutes. Depending on which fountain you buy, you may need a bottle brush and maybe a toothbrush as well for cleaning sharp corners.

The full process of breaking everything down, cleaning, reassembling, and refilling takes about 15 minutes. Depending on which fountain you buy, you may need a bottle brush and maybe a toothbrush as well for cleaning sharp corners.
I have an older model Drinkwell. I hate cleaning it because I always stab myself in the hand on the sharp corners trying to clean the little compartment where the charcoal filter goes. I definitely do not clean it enough as a result. I think the newer ones are less convoluted.

That said, the cats definitely drink more water because of it.

Glad to hear he's doing well. We went through the exact thing with our guy Nolan 9 years ago. It's was quite the scare and ups and downs with him staying overnight and having multiple catheters. So yeah, I feel you, my friend.

He's been on Hill's Science Diet C/D to regulate his urine's PH and keep it from crystallizing and he's been great and healthy since ($46 a case on Chewy.com). He's a healthy big 10 year old cat. Only time he's off the food is when we travel and he gets dry food from the automatic feeder.

We get his urine checked once a year with his annual check up. You learn to keep an eye on their litter box happens and if you see them darting out of the box after going, cleaning their backend immediately, or seeming afraid of the box then chances are they are having a flare up and you just need to keep an eye on them, keep them hydrated (I add water to his wet food), and if it gets any worse take em to the vet. Nolan seems to flare up in the Fall, but it never necessitates taking him to the vet thankfully.

I was hoping to share with you all Angus's new album:

But unfortunately, I got this from the distributor a few days after uploading:

Distrokid said:
We were notified that your album predominantly consists of songs shorter than 60 seconds. The stores generally consider these "snippets" and not real, full songs. Therefore they're not allowed.

I was hoping to share with you all Angus's new album:

But unfortunately, I got this from the distributor a few days after uploading:
And in case you were wondering, yes that is a picture of me in a chicken suit in the background above the picture of my wife and Reggie Watts.

Reactions: dan
Group Builder