Official Lambic.Info thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaWatchman

Reaction score
We would like to introduce www.lambic.info

Nearly two years ago Forgetfu and I started discussing an idea for a lambic-centric wiki that eventually grew into this site. Our goal is to present as much factual information about the lambic breweries past and present, their beers, the culture, and the processes involved in creating these beers in one place instead of it existing in various places and threads across the internet. We have used a number of primary sources written in several different languages coupled with our own research and interviews. Where appropriate, we have cited and thank the authors of the primary sources outlined in the references and book areas of our site and encourage everyone to seek out those sources in print when they can.

Main sections of the site include historical write ups for all of the breweries, general historical information on lambics, beer databases, bottle and label logs, brewing and chemistry, various cultural analyses, and a large database of closed breweries. As it stands, there are over 400 content pages and 1500 photos within the site with plans to continue research and expansion. This is still a work in progress and we will continue to update as more information becomes available.

People:
Early on in the project we added SwedishJesus who is our closed brewery guru. His sole focus since early 2014 has been researching and documenting all of the old breweries, cafes, and blenders that have since closed. His work was well underway before this project started, and his research is ongoing.

jedwards has been advising us on the technical side of things and will be staying on as a site editor and consumer of lambics #forscience

duketheredeemer contacted me in August 2014 volunteering his expertise on the microbiology and chemistry side of things. He used lots of words I didn't understand, and he will be staying on as an editor and continues to update and expand the section that deals with the bugs and fermentation of lambic and its related chemical and microbiological properties.

Finally, a few weeks ago we added callmemickey as a reader and editor. His contributions are ongoing, and his initial work maintaining the 3 Fonteinen bottle log can be counted as one of the many invaluable resources that we have incorporated into this project.

There are many others off-site who have researched, informed, and shaped our discussions and for that we are very grateful.

How can you help?
First and foremost you can become involved by being an active reader of the site and discussing your experiences in our Facebook group.

At the moment we are not looking for additional authors, but we are actively looking for community participation to further the goal of this site through discussions and the submissions page. In the future we hope to add more editors and sections to the site.

What’s next?
Forgetfu and I have several trips to Belgium booked this year. Everyone on the team is planning crowd research initiatives to continue to fill in the site. We have Belgian assistance and are going to work with historical societies throughout the country. We are in touch with many of the lambic producers. And most importantly, we are looking forward to this effort going online with all of you on Facebook and the various beer site forums.

LambicInfoDragon.png

Yes, finally! I'll be opening somethin in honor of this when I get home from work.

If anyone finds any problems with the chem/bio parts, please don't hesitate to tell me and I'll fix it up. Those sections are still very much a work in progress still, and I welcome all input on them. There's also a few more pages that I hope to have up soon that will really help those parts out, I think.

Thank you SeaWatchman you're an amazing asset to anyone that cares about lambic. Site is bookmarked and good bye To a productive Friday night.

And the rest of those guys too! Everyone has put in a tremendous amount of effort to make this happen. I'm about to open a lambic and give a thorough read to parts of the site that weren't in my area of expertise!

Yes, finally! I'll be opening somethin in honor of this when I get home from work.

If anyone finds any problems with the chem/bio parts, please don't hesitate to tell me and I'll fix it up. Those sections are still very much a work in progress still, and I welcome all input on them. There's also a few more pages that I hope to have up soon that will really help those parts out, I think.

I think your missing an exponent on your commercial beer cell concentration:

"Despite Saccharomyces' importance to the fermentation of Lambic, its concentrations remain below 10⁷ cells per mL of wort, which is considerably lower than the 10⁸ cells/mL found in commercial beers."

I think your missing an exponent on your commercial beer cell concentration:

"Despite Saccharomyces' importance to the fermentation of Lambic, its concentrations remain below 10⁷ cells per mL of wort, which is considerably lower than the 10⁸ cells/mL found in commercial beers."

I see a little 7 and 8, but maybe the formatting is whack. I'll see what I can do about it.

EDIT: I tried a different formatting for the exponents. Try it now.

Last edited:
What’s next?
Forgetfu and I have several trips to Belgium booked this year. Everyone on the team is planning crowd research initiatives to continue to fill in the site. We have Belgian assistance and are going to work with historical societies throughout the country. We are in touch with many of the lambic producers. And most importantly, we are looking forward to this effort going online with all of you on Facebook and the various beer site forums.

LambicInfoDragon.png

Do you guys accept PayPal donations for your Belgium trips...errrrrrrr...website enhancements?

Damn was hoping there was a clue to what the bottle codes on the hanssens mean.

We tried to figure that out and came up with nothing, unfortunately. It's something we'd like to figure out. Oddly though, Hanssens dates their bottles in Europe, I don't know what's up with the U.S. stuff, but I've also seen dated labels here.

We tried to figure that out and came up with nothing, unfortunately. It's something we'd like to figure out. Oddly though, Hanssens dates their bottles in Europe, I don't know what's up with the U.S. stuff, but I've also seen dated labels here.

Job opening: Professional cryptologist. PhD in pure or applied mathematics and 10+ years of experience in industry or academia preferred. Must have access to own computational resources. No compensation, get ****ed.

Most recent Kriek available here has this:
ogpCAOq.jpg

Just read the Cantillon history. A++
Scratch that, the whole site is A++

I'm extremely impressed and thank you for releasing such a well thought out and finished product (that will keep getting better)

Thanks, JM! There is so much to discover in the nooks and crannies of the site. There's even history behind our logo.

If you see anything that needs fixing or you think of something that should be there, please let us know! I've been in the depths of the TTB website lately....

One thing I'm wondering about re: the Cantillon page is the Cuvee de Florian. I'm almost sure that was the name they gave the most recent Zwanze beer, based on a recent conversation I had with JvR. Maybe they duplicated names? One for his birth and one for his 18th?

EDIT: Never mind. It's the Cuvee Florian.

One thing I'm wondering about re: the Cantillon page is the Cuvee de Florian. I'm almost sure that was the name they gave the most recent Zwanze beer, based on a recent conversation I had with JvR. Maybe they duplicated names? One for his birth and one for his 18th?

The difference is subtle, and mostly indistinguishable in terms of how they are named. Technically Cuvée de Florian
is the 1996 birth bottling and Cuvée Florian is both the first 18th birthday batch (batch 1) and the rebrew (batch 2) for Zwanze '14. The use of de in the name is correct, but maybe it wasn't official and just became part of the parlance around that bottle since it didn't have an official label stating the name (at least not that I've seen).

Thanks for messaging us about the Blåbær label origin, Odesseiron ! I had been looking for something like that and just updated the site! It's interesting how much Cantillon has used comic book illustrators for their label designs in the past.

Just glad to contribute, was afraid of regurgitating something very well known. Seems like Belgian brewers - especially around Pajottenland and Brussels - have a long tradition of incorporating comic book characters in their labels.

Back