Official Untappd Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stupac2

Reaction score
I realized that we don't have any place to talk about general Untappd topics, and it comes up pretty often so this seems like a reasonable thread to have. First, some useful info:

1. If you have any questions, comments, criticisms, or merge requests, this is the official spot: http://help.untappd.com/ Just start a thread there in the right forum and it'll get taken care of pretty quickly.
  2. The whole operation is just two guys, Greg and Tim, both of whom have full-time jobs. If it seems like features take a long time to come out, that's why.
  3. If you notice any problems with the database, you can post in the thread above or let me know here. I can do beer/brewery merges, corrections of ABV/style information, and label additions. But I'm lazy, link the stuff you want to merge or the label you want to upload!
  4. If you're interested in helping out, or you want the awesome perks that come with being an Untappd moderator (such as a couple badges, supporter status, beer jaccuzi, infinite sloots, etc) start posting a few merge tickets a week to that forum above and after a couple weeks I'll bug them to add you.
  5. Badges cost money. If you want some event you're attending to have a badge, you need to have the event coordinators ask well ahead of time. I've seen a lot of people ask "Why doesn't [Event X] have a badge???" The answer is that they didn't pay for one. If you want them to do one, get in touch with them months before the event.
That's all that I can think of right now, if anyone has any questions, post them here!

I used to grumble a lot more than I do now about Untappd's various bugs, crashing, etc.

Then I found out (through stupac2 mainly) that it's basically a side interest project for the guys involved, and yet it's still much further along than where certain alleged beer websites *cough*BA*cough* are despite this kind of thing supposedly being their business. I'm going to become an Untappd supporter soon (after the November-my-bank-account-will-remember is over). I'll also work on the merging.

stupac2 what's your (or if you want, the opinion of the site operators) opinion on creating things like names for blends? Given that they seem pretty lax about what's in the database (homebrews and so on), I didn't imagine it being a big stickling point and have made a few (shamelessly aiming for unique check-ins), but it's certainly something I'd cut down on if it's not wanted.

I used to grumble a lot more than I do now about Untappd's various bugs, crashing, etc.

Then I found out (through stupac2 mainly) that it's basically a side interest project for the guys involved, and yet it's still much further along than where certain alleged beer websites *cough*BA*cough* are despite this kind of thing supposedly being their business. I'm going to become an Untappd supporter soon (after the November-my-bank-account-will-remember is over). I'll also work on the merging.

stupac2 what's your (or if you want, the opinion of the site operators) opinion on creating things like names for blends? Given that they seem pretty lax about what's in the database (homebrews and so on), I didn't imagine it being a big stickling point and have made a few (shamelessly aiming for unique check-ins), but it's certainly something I'd cut down on if it's not wanted.
Blends are explicitly disallowed. When you create a new beer you know how there's all that text up at the top before the search? Those are the beer rules, and one of them is no blends. This includes blends like DuHop that are made at the brewery themselves. If it doesn't come directly out of a bottle, keg, or cask, don't add it. You'll usually get away with it for a while, but they're found eventually.

Funny story, a friend of mine really loves to create and check into blends, and I found a few and merged them and told him about it. So then he did some more and someone else found and merged them. He then got super mad at me, even yelling at me for merging his ****, and then I was all "dude I didn't do it, I'm not the only person checking this ****." He was a little flustered after that.

Oh, also, if you're really bad about it there's a thing called "the bucket" where your stats are ignored and your creations get heightened scrutiny. For some reason there are a lot of people in Indonesia who really like to fudge checks-in, so that's why they made it. Pretty unlikely that anyone would get hit by it, but I want it out there.

Another common ****up is to say "Hop****er Cask Amarillo Hopped", just leave out the "cask" part and make it "Hop****er Amarillo Hopped". Strictly speaking you're not supposed to add it all, but if you leave off the "cask" no one can tell the difference.

Blends are explicitly disallowed. When you create a new beer you know how there's all that text up at the top before the search? Those are the beer rules, and one of them is no blends. This includes blends like DuHop that are made at the brewery themselves. If it doesn't come directly out of a bottle, keg, or cask, don't add it. You'll usually get away with it for a while, but they're found eventually.

Interesting, did not realize that. I got started on blends because I checked in some that had already been added because they are ones the brewery makes (specifically in this case the Bell's blend Darth Vader which is a black-&-tan with Hopslam and Expedition.

Oh, also, if you're really bad about it there's a thing called "the bucket" where your stats are ignored and your creations get heightened scrutiny. For some reason there are a lot of people in Indonesia who really like to fudge checks-in, so that's why they made it. Pretty unlikely that anyone would get hit by it, but I want it out there.

Heh, that's kind of funny. I'll be sure not to end up in "the bucket".

Another common ****up is to say "Hop****er Cask Amarillo Hopped", just leave out the "cask" part and make it "Hop****er Amarillo Hopped". Strictly speaking you're not supposed to add it all, but if you leave off the "cask" no one can tell the difference.

Yeah I haven't done that one yet, I usually just check into a beer's normal one and add "from a cask" as the directions say.

One thing I'd like to see them add (or if they have, I haven't figured out how to use it yet) is the ability to change ratings on the desktop version of the site, rather than just the app. I have a lot of 4s and 5s that I want to change to scores between 3.5 and 4.5 since the addition of .5 ratings, and it takes forever to do that on a phone.

Real talk, 100% serious, what kind of bread would it take for there to be a *The Dude Abides* badge....gained by checking in 5 beers of my choosing?

Badge to resemble my lovely avatar.

Send some fan mail to the Coen brothers and maybe they will pay for it.

Real talk, 100% serious, what kind of bread would it take for there to be a *The Dude Abides* badge....gained by checking in 5 beers of my choosing?

Badge to resemble my lovely avatar.
So, when I asked Greg about this (in the course of asking about a BT badge) he said that Untappd gets more badge requests than they can fill. So it's not just about money, it's also about it being something they want to promote. He doesn't want numbers plastered all over the place, so all I can say is:

1) It's a pretty substantial amount of money. If there were a beer for sale on MBC for that much, you'd make fun of it, pretty much no matter the beer.
2) If you're still curious, e-mail greg 'at' untappd.com and ask him about it.

I might have checked into a blend of BCBCS coffee and ice cream made with BCBCS. It MIGHT (might) still be in the Untappd database.

Bourbon County Affogato for the WIN!

I might have checked into a blend of BCBCS coffee and ice cream made with BCBCS. It MIGHT (might) still be in the Untappd database.

I checked and I didn't see that one, but HOLY **** are there a lot of BCBS blends. I guess that makes sense, but goddamn, Chicago moderators are falling down on the job.

Do want.

I've had ice cream made with Creme Brulee stout, which I don't like as a beverage but the ice cream was delicious.

Is the app really touch-sensitive for anyone else? Like I'll search for a beer or be looking through a brewery's beer list and it's nearly impossible to scroll down without accidentally clicking on a bunch of different beers.

Samsung Galaxy S3. Not sensitive on any other apps or sites. Just strange.
Untappd is not written from scratch, it uses a thing called PhoneGap (IIRC) on Android. Some huge percentage of the problems people have are due to that. For a long time I couldn't use Swype because it had issues with phonegap, right now I think shiftkey has similar issues.

Anyway, if you start a ticket on the help site you could get some advice. I'm not up on the issues with the S3, except some of my friends have issues with the site loading funny.

Oh, this should probably go into the OP, but if you're having issues, here's what they typically recommend:

1. Clear your cache (there are a number of ways to do it, Untappd's settings lets you).
  2. Reboot your phone.
  3. Uninstall the app and then reinstall.
If you do those 3 things before opening the ticket your first reply will probably be better.

I realized that we don't have any place to talk about general Untappd topics, and it comes up pretty often so this seems like a reasonable thread to have. First, some useful info:

1. If you have any questions, comments, criticisms, or merge requests, this is the official spot: http://help.untappd.com/ Just start a thread there in the right forum and it'll get taken care of pretty quickly.
  2. The whole operation is just two guys, Greg and Tim, both of whom have full-time jobs. If it seems like features take a long time to come out, that's why.
  3. If you notice any problems with the database, you can post in the thread above or let me know here. I can do beer/brewery merges, corrections of ABV/style information, and label additions. But I'm lazy, link the stuff you want to merge or the label you want to upload!
  4. If you're interested in helping out, or you want the awesome perks that come with being an Untappd moderator (such as a couple badges, supporter status, beer jaccuzi, infinite sloots, etc) start posting a few merge tickets a week to that forum above and after a couple weeks I'll bug them to add you.
  5. Badges cost money. If you want some event you're attending to have a badge, you need to have the event coordinators ask well ahead of time. I've seen a lot of people ask "Why doesn't [Event X] have a badge???" The answer is that they didn't pay for one. If you want them to do one, get in touch with them months before the event.
That's all that I can think of right now, if anyone has any questions, post them here!
I use untappd more than any other app. Did not know it was just a side project. Well done, brothas. Well done.

Each update has been better than the last. I hardly have any issues these days. Location services sometimes presents an issue on my Galaxy Note 2, but that's my only complaint.

Oh, my other complaint is that stupac2 denied my friend request a few months back. It took me some time to get over that.

Just downloaded, and I think this app is better than BrewGene and Pintley. Definitely my go to beer app now.

I thinl triumph new Zealand pale ale has two entries. Could be wrong. I know a beer I drank tonight had two entries.

Same user name on there as here, and I'm not a pooface about requests. ;)

I also will get on the merging and clean that **** up. ****ing n00bs posting incorrect ****. Thanks for the info stupac2!

There's a listing under 'Bourbon County Coffee 2013' that should be merged with the Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (2013) that I made later.

There's a listing under 'Bourbon County Coffee 2013' that should be merged with the Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout (2013) that I made later.
I saw that I just didn't want to go through and totally fix those last night. I'll try to remember once I'm back from SARA.

I dont know jack about code, but would it be hard to add a "report" button to each beer's page? Would make submitting tickets for mergers a lot easier.

I love the hell out of Untappd

My request for now is simple (but maybe not) each Black Tuesday uses a different label die but on Untappd it's all the same one (I thinks it's the 2011 label) can it be matched like Darkness?

I love the hell out of Untappd

My request for now is simple (but maybe not) each Black Tuesday uses a different label die but on Untappd it's all the same one (I thinks it's the 2011 label) can it be matched like Darkness?
I thought it was right. If I haven't fixed that by Monday, remind me here. If you have high quality label images handy, linking then would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back