Operation: Find the Shittiest Deal on MyBeerCellar.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontdrinkbeer

Reaction score
People probably know about this site by now, in between burning copies of Action Comics#1 to light their Stradivarius Churchillses, the people who post on this site must have crazy whimsy in their valuations.

The purpose of this thread is to find the most outright shitty offers and determine which would be the absolute worst deal. Apologies in advance if you are the sack of foreskin asking $95.00 for a bottle of Bramble.

Here's my vote:

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=6110

$800 for an 11 year old saison. SPF45. I know it has zero gots. I love saisons, but srs.

alternatively:

http://mybeercellar.com/?itm=6759

a $400 bottle of StB is enough to curl ones regal mustache at.

Let's find some shitty deals here.

You realize this will sell more beer for these greedy mother ****ers, yes?

(please continue though, I like to laugh while I drink)

Who even keeps this site afloat? Does Joel just keep buying everything that gets listed?

I'll admit: I have both bought and sold on MBC. Trading is fun and I've built some nice relationships with people, but it's also an incredibly inefficient technique for redistributing beer to people who want it. There's a damn good reason why most transactions use currency rather than barter.

The prices look outrageous on the surface, but frankly, so is the trading market for a lot of stuff. Some beers are overpriced on MBC compared to the trading market, but a lot of others are underpriced.

That site is unbelievably horrific, and I'm not even talking about the overpriced beers.

This has to be in the running:
http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=6107

Who even keeps this site afloat? Does Joel just keep buying everything that gets listed?
bensw has done some investigations on that site, if he wants to he could probably elucidate.

But regardless, I think they just charge $1 per listing, regardless of sale. So idiots looking for a payday are what keeps it afloat.

That site is unbelievably horrific, and I'm not even talking about the overpriced beers.

This has to be in the running:
http://www.mybeercellar.com/?itm=6107

It's paid for by the sellers alone. You buy "Credits" to list things.

I'll admit: I have both bought and sold on MBC. Trading is fun and I've built some nice relationships with people, but it's also an incredibly inefficient technique for redistributing beer to people who want it. There's a damn good reason why most transactions use currency rather than barter.

The prices look outrageous on the surface, but frankly, so is the trading market for a lot of stuff. Some beers are overpriced on MBC compared to the trading market, but a lot of others are underpriced.

I can understand the selling mentality. Not a fan of it and what it does to bottle releases, but I understand it. Where there are desirable goods, people are going to profit.

As a buyer though? Those prices are insane. Sure, if you really want a bottle of Dark Lord and don't have the means of easily attaining/trading for it, then $50 or whatever isn't going to break the bank. But much of that site seems to be $100+ per bottle. I've never tried a beer that was worth anything close to $100, and I've had most of the supposedly "best" beers out there. Then you pile the questionable storage conditions on top of many of these aged beers, and the whole thing just seems like a big inside joke.

I can understand the selling mentality. Not a fan of it and what it does to bottle releases, but I understand it. Where there are desirable goods, people are going to profit.

As a buyer though? Those prices are insane. Sure, if you really want a bottle of Dark Lord and don't have the means of easily attaining/trading for it, then $50 or whatever isn't going to break the bank. But much of that site seems to be $100+ per bottle. I've never tried a beer that was worth anything close to $100, and I've had most of the supposedly "best" beers out there. Then you pile the questionable storage conditions on top of many of these aged beers, and the whole thing just seems like a big inside joke.

Is anything really worth $100 a bottle?

Is anything really worth $100 a bottle?

Of beer? No, I don't think so. Utopias maybe, but that's more liquor than beer.

Liquor is more easily justified at $100/bottle because it is 15 servings inside one bottle. A $100 bottle of beer equivalent in liquor would be more like a $750-$1500 liquor bottle, which is equally insane.

Of beer? No, I don't think so. Utopias maybe, but that's more liquor than beer.

Liquor is more easily justified at $100/bottle because it is 15 servings inside one bottle. A $100 bottle of beer equivalent in liquor would be more like a $750-$1500 liquor bottle, which is equally insane.

What about an expensive Barolo or Bordeaux?

What about an expensive Barolo or Bordeaux?

Wine is a slightly different ballpark, as there are certain styles you're just not going to touch at lower end prices. There is almost no style of beer you can't easily have for under $30.

I'm not trying to come up with a grand manifesto on reasonable alcohol costs here, but given how few bottles of beer out there even retail at the $30 level, $100 for a bottle of just about any beer is absurd.

Wine is a slightly different ballpark, as there are certain styles you're just not going to touch at lower end prices. There is almost no style of beer you can't easily have for under $30.

I'm not trying to come up with a grand manifesto on reasonable alcohol costs here, but given how few bottles of beer out there even retail at the $30 level, $100 for a bottle of just about any beer is absurd.
I shouldn't show you my receipts from Akkurat, then...

(FWIW I agree with you, by and large. But I'm a big believer in spending money on experiences, and I do a lot of that with beer.)

I'm just confused, because I know quite a few beers I'd pay $100 to drink entire bottles of to myself, not because they'd be great ticks, but because they'd taste better than literally anything.

I've done some analysis (scraping). One user (Wolverine) has spent over 10 grand in the short time the site has been online
ibbie_SGDBO9of5.gif

ON WHAT!?!

I'm just confused, because I know quite a few beers I'd pay $100 to drink entire bottles of to myself, not because they'd be great ticks, but because they'd taste better than literally anything.

Such as? The delta between my favorite beers and the ones right below them is so tiny. I can't fathom enjoying a beer so much more that I'd pay 5-10x or whatever the price of the alternative for it.

I shouldn't show you my receipts from Akkurat, then...

(FWIW I agree with you, by and large. But I'm a big believer in spending money on experiences, and I do a lot of that with beer.)

Bar prices are a bit different, especially while traveling. Like you said, that's more about the experience, which is certainly worth a premium...

The worth of a beer is entirely subjective. King Henry might be worth $500 to someone. I haven't had it, but I guarantee it wouldn't be worth $500 to me despite being able to afford it.

Such as? The delta between my favorite beers and the ones right below them is so tiny. I can't fathom enjoying a beer so much more that I'd pay 5-10x or whatever the price of the alternative for it.

I would pay $100 for pretty much any loon from 95-99, which is approx 10x what retail was when they were released. I would also enjoy it quite a bit more. 5x? Maybe, 10x? Don't know, can't say. Hard to quantify personal pleasure in that way. Also, $100 is a rather arbitrary price point, but yeah. Definitely would drop $100 on a 96 Iris any time of the day.

The worth of a beer is entirely subjective. King Henry might be worth $500 to someone.

I agree with that to an extent. Obviously nobody would spend the money unless they felt it was worth it. But that doesn't necessarily make it a smart or even educated purchase.

I would easily pay $100 for any loon from 95-99, which is approx 10x what retail was when they were released. I would also enjoy it quite a bit more. 5x? Maybe, 10x? Don't know, can't say. Hard to quantify personal pleasure in that way.

You're paying for the extreme age there though, not the beer. Storage has a natural cost. We also both know a 90's loon would sell for much more, even if it hit retail today. You would not pay $100 for a 2013 version of that same beer though.

You're paying for the extreme age there though, not the beer. Storage has a natural cost. We also both know a 90's loon would sell for much more, even if it hit retail today. You would not pay $100 for a 2013 version of that same beer though.

Oh, we're talking about paying retail for new releases? Not just beer in general? I'm just saying that I'd jump at the opportunity to spend $100 on any beer I want, which is what I thought you said you couldn't fathom based on much much cheaper alternatives.

I wouldn't jump at spending $100 on a bottle of "M" even though it is worth considerably more than that, but a 90's loon worth half as much on the black market? Sure, $100 all day.

Oh, we're talking about paying retail for new releases? Not just beer in general? I'm just saying that I'd jump at the opportunity to spend $100 on any beer I want, which is what I thought you said you couldn't fathom based on much much cheaper alternatives.

I wouldn't jump at spending $100 on a bottle of "M" even though it is worth considerably more than that, but a 90's loon worth half as much on the black market? Sure, $100 all day.

Yes, I'm not talking about 15 year old rarities here, but the gist of what ends up on MBC (or previously on Ebay). Current/recent releases marked up 10x...

Yes, I'm not talking about 15 year old rarities here, but the gist of what ends up on MBC (or previously on Ebay). Current/recent releases marked up 10x...

I've never tried a beer that was worth anything close to $100, and I've had most of the supposedly "best" beers out there.

I don't know what you think other people think are the "best" beers out there, but where I drink the consensus seems to be that old lambic is the "best" there is.

Last edited:
I agree with that to an extent. Obviously nobody would spend the money unless they felt it was worth it. But that doesn't necessarily make it a smart or even educated purchase.

A person who spends $500 on King Henry isn't concerned about making smart or educated purchases and chances are $500 is chump change to them.

Back