Phish Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Or, MUCH less likely, but still possible, they're fucking with people.

It was just briefly on their site. They played 5-7 last year though so people are hoping they just fucked up

Newest rumors:
(maybe; don't count on it) 4/23 Austin360 Amphitheater at Circuit of the Americas, Austin, TX

7/1 Xfinity Center, Mansfield, MA
7/3 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/4 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/5 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
7/7 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
7/8 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
7/10 Randall's Island, New York, NY or 7/9 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA
7/11 Randall's Island, New York, NY
7/12 Randall's Island, New York, NY
7/13 Randall's Island, New York, NY
7/15 Constellation Brands - Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center, Canandaigua, NY
7/16 DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI
7/18 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago, IL
7/19 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago, IL
7/20 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago, IL
7/22 Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, MO (or The Zoo Amphitheatre (or OKC Downtown Airpark?), Oklahoma City, OK)
7/23 The Zoo Amphitheatre (or OKC Downtown Airpark?), Oklahoma City, OK (or Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, MO)
7/25 PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC
7/26 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
7/27 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
7/29 nTelos Wireless Pavilion, Portsmouth, VA
7/30 nTelos Wireless Pavilion, Portsmouth, VA
8/1 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA
8/2 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA
8/3 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA

(maybe; don't bet on it) 8/27 Idaho Center Amphitheater, Nampa, ID or 8/28 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
8/29 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
8/30 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
8/31 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

Such excite

SPAC, Randalls, and MPP N1 (birthday show!) are definites.

Maybe Mann, MPP N2, and Dicks

My mom lives within walking distance to the Orange Beach show, so sounds like a good excuse to head back east and visit. Haven't seen much Phish in the South either, plus they should be nice an warmed up by then (as will everyone else with August shows).

OB>B'ham>ATL for me.

So...this Phish fanatic thing is real and not just the butt of jokes?

In leas than 100 words can someone explain? Or is this a sorta "you wont get it bro" kinda deal?

So...this Phish fanatic thing is real and not just the butt of jokes?

In leas than 100 words can someone explain? Or is this a sorta "you wont get it bro" kinda deal?
Band that travels the country playing completely different setlists every night. You could hear a song they haven't played in twenty years one night. Don't take themselves seriously. Non douchey fanbase. People rarely get it at first. I was completely fucking lost my first two shows. One day it just clicks for you. Addiction and immense joy ensue. Seriously the joy I feel during the peak of a great Sky or Slave or Hood or whatever is just incomparable. I saw them 17 times last year. No regrets.

Band that travels the country playing completely different setlists every night. You could hear a song they haven't played in twenty years one night. Don't take themselves seriously. Non douchey fanbase. People rarely get it at first. I was completely fucking lost my first two shows. One day it just clicks for you. Addiction and immense joy ensue. Seriously the joy I feel during the peak of a great Sky or Slave or Hood or whatever is just incomparable. I saw them 17 times last year. No regrets.
My original post was snoody and assholish. I apologize, I tried to edit/delete it.

In all seriousness, a buddy of mine (doesnt even do drugs anymore) saw them XX times a couple years ago. He got to the point where he went broke, got his car repo'd and nearly lost his home. I know music can "move you" but holy shit. Another friend who is the most gifted guitarist I know is also a crazy Phish fan. They constantly have their music playing as "back ground noise" when I visit them. I guess I just dont get it.

My original post was snoody and assholish. I apologize, I tried to edit/delete it.

In all seriousness, a buddy of mine (doesnt even do drugs anymore) saw them XX times a couple years ago. He got to the point where he went broke, got his car repo'd and nearly lost his home. I know music can "move you" but holy shit. Another friend who is the most gifted guitarist I know is also a crazy Phish fan. They constantly have their music playing as "back ground noise" when I visit them. I guess I just dont get it.
Honestly didn't come off as snoody or assholish. No worries there.

I'd go on small spurts on tour but it's all based around vacation time I get from work. Concerts, like beer, are a hobby for me. I spent a lot of money on them, but I also pay rent and have food to eat at the end of every day. It's not bankrupting me. I can see how someone gets addicted to the scene though and just forgoes everything else in their life. It seems like there are much less of those types of people these days though. Back in the 90s there were an insane amount of people going out on tour. These days not so much.

Like I said, it took me years to "get" Phish. Like you said, it just sounded like background noise. I think a lot of it is just listening to a lot of Phish. You know where the peaks and valleys are supposed to be. Their jamming is based around tension and release. While that's a pretty basic concept, it's even better when there's anticipation there as well in the build up. The peak in Slave is the same thing every time, but I know it's coming, and when they nail it it's freaking awesome. If I wasn't at work, I'd post up youtubes of what I'm talking about.

And as mentiioned, they don't take themselves seriously. The absurdity of what those guys do on stage, whether it's an Audience Chess Game, or an NYE gag, or having the set spell something? That's half the fun too. It's a very inclusive band and a very inclusive crowd. Everyone is in on the jokes at a Phish show. When they were doing stuff like the Secret Language, Trey was explaining it to the crowd. If you were the noob at the show, you looked like an idiot after the first signal and then all the vets explained to you what was going on.

NYE 2010 Meatstick

It's hard to explain to you what gag(s) are going on if you've never seen it without spoiling the surprise(s), but if you watch it, I'm sure Greg or many others can explain after.

Latest posts