Portland Farmhouse & Wild Ale Festival March 29th & 30th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5?! Christ. This ought to be an interesting time.

And don't worry, we'll make sure your tasting glass doesn't run dry. I happen to have some experience in muling beer for folks in portland... and from one side of the room to the other sounds a lot simpler than from one side of the border to the other.

Hmm this is tempting me a bit.

I've started avoiding Saraveza because of the $$$ gouging that goes on but as long as the 10 tastes aren't 2oz pours it looks like a decent deal.

Last year they had pretty big pours - somewhere from 6-10oz I think? The glasses they provided were branded tulip-style sleeves, not tasting glasses at all. Very cool.

I'll post a photo of them when I get home tonight.

Yeah they were some pretty nice glasses (pours were about half full). TB b2 snifter for scale.

lKX6hhd.jpg

Tentative list posted:
This year’s draft list includes (some beers may be subject to change):

Agrarian Ales
‘Curiosity’– Biere de Mars, traditional spring farmhouse, 6% ABV
‘Field Beer’– A session saison brewed for busy farm hands, 4% ABV
‘Coalescense’ – Spring saison with organic raw oats and rye from a neighbor, 5% ABV
2012 Vintage ‘Apricity’ – A rich, full bodied and higher gravity saison brewed for Winter, 8% ABV
‘Spontaneity’– New Release! A spontaneously fermented wild oak barrel aged lambic inoculated with apples and asian pears from a neighboring orchard.

Anchorage Brewing Company
‘The Tide & It’s Takers’ – Belgian Style Triple w/Brettanomyces, 9% ABV

Block 15 Brewing Co
‘Caves Anniversary Saison’ – A Tart Saison blend with Brettanomyces, 6% ABV

Breakside Brewery
‘Brett Saison’ – Rustic farmhouse brewed with 3 different yeast strains, 6.3% ABV
‘French Fennel Farmhouse’ – A wheaton farmhouse ale brewed with fennel seed, bulb & pollen, 7.1% ABV
‘Suburban Farmhouse’ – A copper hued saison made with Topaz hops, 7.5% ABV

Brewery Ommegang
‘Glimmerglass’ – A delightful Spring saison, 5.4% ABV
‘Hennepin’ – Farmhouse saison brewed with grains of paradise, coriander, ginger and sweet orange peel, 7.7% ABV

Crux Fermentation Project
‘Flanders Red Ale’ – Crux’s interpretation of a traditional Belgian red ale, 8.1% ABV

de Garde Brewing
‘Saison Desay’ Wild Blend 1, 2 & 3 – A historic farmhouse ale, each is a blend of multiple batches from multiple barrels, hand selected, seeking to highlight unique characterstics derived from the local ‘terroir.’

Elysian Brewery
‘Bramble On’ – A Comet hopped blackberry saison, 5.6% ABV

Epic Brewing Company/Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
‘Elder Brett’ – Wine barrel aged saison w/brettanomyces, 9.1% ABV

Great Divide Brewing Co.
‘Colette’ – Belgian inspired saison using four different yeast strains, 7.3% ABV

Humble Brewing
‘Comet Rye’d’ – Saison brewed w/rye and Comet hops, 6% ABV

Jolly Pumpkin
‘Fuego del Otono’ – An oak-aged amber farmhouse brewed with chestnuts and spices, 6.1% ABV
‘Biere de Mars’ – French style stock ale aged in oak barrels, 7% ABV

Laurelwood Public House and Brewery
‘Black & Bucolic’ – A dark & fruity, yet refreshing saison brewed especially for this festival!, 5.4% ABV

Logsdon Farmhouse Ales
‘Lentepunt’ – ‘Lentepunt’ means ‘Spring Equinox’ in Dutch, this is an amber farmhouse with brettanomyces, 6.6% ABV. Part of the batch was blended with the ‘Half Naked’ from Solera brewing – be sure to try all 3 beers!

Lompoc Brewing
‘Forbidden Fruit’ – A black currant saison brewed with Bazi Brasserie for their 2nd Anniversary, 5.9% ABV

New Belgium Brewing Co.
‘Biere de Mars’ – Belgian inspired ‘Beer of March’ Ale with brettanomyces, 6.2% ABV
‘Love’s Leopold’ – Amercian Style Wild Ale Aged in Leopold Blackberry Flavored Whiskey Barrels, 9.5% ABV

North Coast Brewing Company
‘Le Merle’ – A rustic, Belgian inspired saison, 7.9% ABV

Oakshire Brewing
‘Funk d’ Farmhouse’ – A tart saison aged in pinot noir barrels, 6.6% ABV
‘Biere de Mars’ – ‘Beer of March’ – Saison fermented with brettanomyces, 6.4% ABV

pFriem Family Brewers
‘Tiny Saison’ – A refreshing and light spring saison, 3.2% ABV

Propolis Brewing
‘Granum’ – Herbal Farmhouse, brewed with spelt, rye, oats, wheat and barley, 7.5% ABV
‘Ostara’ – Spring amber saison brewed with woody herbs and chamomile, 7.5% ABV
‘Spruce Saison’ – Golden saison brewed with spruce tips, 7.5% ABV

Solera Brewery
‘Half Naked’ – A sour farmhouse ale, 6.5% ABV – This ale was also blended with Logsdon’s ‘Lentepunt’ to make ‘Half Naakte Paasvankantie’, which is Dutch for ‘Half Naked Spring Break’!

Stillwater Artisinal Ales
‘Cellar Door’ – A saison with sterling and citra hops and finished with white sage, 6.6% ABV
‘Stateside Saison’ – A classic farmhouse ale, 6.8% ABV

Stone Brewing Co.
‘Matt’s Burning Rosids’ – Imperial cherry wood smoked saison, 10.5% ABV
‘The Perfect Crime’ – Smoked Black Saison aged in red wine barrels (collab w/Evil Twin & Stillwater), 6.8%
‘The Tiger Cub’ – Saison aged in white wine barrels, 7.7% ABV

The Ale Apothecary
A special version of ‘La Tache’ – A wild ale aged in dark rum barrels with white peaches, 8.4% ABV

The Bruery
‘Saison de Lente’ – A spring saison with brettanomyces, 6.5% ABV
‘Sour in the Rye’ – An oak barrel aged sour rye, 8.7% ABV

The Commons Brewery
‘Biere de Garde’ – A ‘Beer for keeping’ inspired by the farmhouse beers brewed in Northern France and Steve Jones, Proprietor and Cheesemonger at Cheese Bar in Portland, Oregon, 5.3% ABV
‘Populus’ – A golden farmhouse ale with OR grown Cascade hops and CA grown Coriander, 6% ABV
‘Urban Farmhouse’ – A light refreshing and highly sessionable farmhouse ale, 5.3%

Trinity Brewing Company
‘Blow up your TV’ – A table saison/grisette blend, 3.8% ABV
‘Saison Man’ – A chardonnay barrel aged session saison, 4.8% ABV
‘3 Flowers’ – An ‘orange hued’ saison aged on 3 secret varieties of flowers, 7.0% ABV

Upright Brewery
‘Fatali Four’ – Barrel aged ‘Four’, Belgian style wheat beer, with fatali chiles added, 4.5% ABV

Last edited:
It's just sold out to buy through the site. They're still selling glasses and tickets. Looks like they have plenty left

I was the over enthusiastic English dude with a permanent **** eating grin. Who did not have a data / wifi connection and only just saw this thread now. Don't think we can make it tomorrow sadly but today was a lot of fun - highlights for me were all the block 15 beers, the la tache varient, and probably also the oakshire and pomegranate loves leopold. Demons farm was probably best in show I think, certainly for me. Awesome time!

I'm glad I went, great beers, good sized pours, not too crowded, pretty nice event overall.

I really liked the 2011 (or 12?) Demon's Farm from B15, Desay blend #2, and Fatali Four from Upright.

I'm in a group of 4 with a stone enjoy by shirt. I'm the one who looks very hungover
Bummer. I checked Untappd to see who was checking in but failed to check Talkbeer. Had a great time mixing with friends new and old though.
Beers had:
2nd Anniv. Apricot Saison - Block 15
"The Perfect Crime" Black Smoked Saison - Stone & co.
Saison De Lente - Bruery
Demon's Farm - Block 15
Fatali Four - Upright
Spontaneity - Agrarian
Coalescence - Agrarian
Half Naakte Paasvankantie - Solera/Logsdon
aka La Tache (Rum Barrel Aged w/Peaches) - Ale Apothecary (And a bottle to go!)
Saison Desay (Blend 3) - de Garde
Saison Desay (Blend 2) - de Garde

My top three -
aka La Tache
2nd anniv. Appricot Saison
Saison Desay (Blend 2)

Bummer. I checked Untappd to see who was checking in but failed to check Talkbeer. Had a great time mixing with friends new and old though.
Beers had:
2nd Anniv. Apricot Saison - Block 15
"The Perfect Crime" Black Smoked Saison - Stone & co.
Saison De Lente - Bruery
Demon's Farm - Block 15
Fatali Four - Upright
Spontaneity - Agrarian
Coalescence - Agrarian
Half Naakte Paasvankantie - Solera/Logsdon
aka La Tache (Rum Barrel Aged w/Peaches) - Ale Apothecary (And a bottle to go!)
Saison Desay (Blend 3) - de Garde
Saison Desay (Blend 2) - de Garde

My top three -
aka La Tache
2nd anniv. Appricot Saison
Saison Desay (Blend 2)
I ended up putting a jacket on anyway.

I liked ale apothecary w/ peaches, new Belgium love's Leopold, and the block 15 2nd anniversary

It may have been me and everyone I was with being way too hungover and rain-soaked, but did anyone else find this a little underwhelming? I'm glad to have picked up a nice glass and a bottle of the LaTache, but I didn't buy more tickets. In fact I had 3 left when I left for food. I kept to Love's Leopold and the Ale Apoth bottle while trying other beers from my friends. I was just hoping for more interesting wild character and less saison base flavors from most beers.

Nope, I had a great time and enjoyed the selections a lot. I don't try to over-think these things. I just show up, drink, make a new friend or two, have a good time.

I certainly enjoyed myself (and was pretty hammered when I last replied to this thread later that night), but compared to last year there felt like there were maybe less really exciting beers. A friend I was travelling with who was also at last years felt very strongly like you did Podunkparte and really wasn't feeling it - but he was also a lot more hungover than me, too, so I wouldn't discount that as a factor.

But I had a great time. Any event where you almost get punched by degardebrewing is a solid one in my book.

I certainly enjoyed myself (and was pretty hammered when I last replied to this thread later that night), but compared to last year there felt like there were maybe less really exciting beers. A friend I was travelling with who was also at last years felt very strongly like you did Podunkparte and really wasn't feeling it - but he was also a lot more hungover than me, too, so I wouldn't discount that as a factor.

But I had a great time. Any event where you almost get punched by degardebrewing is a solid one in my book.
Whoa! You can't tease the story and leave us hanging like that!

Latest posts

Back