Questions on event set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K8Brock

Reaction score
I have been recruited to chair the brew committee for an upcoming event called Boots, Brew, & BBQ in June. This event had been focused on music and bbq in the past, but this year they want to expand significantly in craft beer and phase out a bit of the bbq portion. My small town is pretty new to craft beer, so even though I don't know much about the inner workings of events like this, I am the best option (not saying much) lol. So my question(s) is what are my options regarding etiquette with breweries and our group trying to raise funds? Do I invite them to the event free of fees and ask they bring certain brews to taste? I'm not quite sure how to go about this. Any advice or ideas from anyone who has done an event like this in the past are welcome. I do live in TX if that helps with current regulations.

A few things as I’m not sure what type of fest you’re trying to put together. Since it’s non profit you can certainly ask breweries to donate kegs but in my personal experience you probably won’t get much headway. I’m not sure how things work in Texas but I’d start with reaching out to your local distributors, then local breweries. Your best bet is to buy kegs, then charge more for the fest.

Typically a nonprofit in Texas can pull an alcohol permit a LOT easier (and cheaper) than a for-profit company. So, you may find that you can partner with local for-profit companies (Liquor stores, distributors) who will do an in-kind donation of kegs, knowing that they save money on permitting a festival/event of their own. That said, breweries themselves are very very rarely willing to donate kegs, because the return on investment is tiny and the margins are already slim. Buying kegs from breweries is usually the best way to ensure quality offerings.

Not sure if this is legal but you could include a home brewer competition with free tastings.

Thanks... as of now I am thinking something along the lines of tasting cards and reimbursing each one based on that while also buying cases of beer from each so we can sell as well to increase funds raised. This is the first year we are going this big on craft brew and I don't have much to go on.

Back