Quantcast

Random Beer Thoughts

Help Support Talkbeer:

I was curious about the Athletic Brewery N/A beers but when I saw they cost as much as beer with alcohol I passed. If I want to go that root I would just drink root beer.
I grabbed the standard Athletic IPA in December, since I’ve seen a lot of love for their stuff. It’s just not for me. Very bready, not enjoyable, waste of $12.

dan

I am a little intrigued by this flood of NA beers. Will I try any...
View attachment 10591
My wife has gone all-in so I've tried a few. Wellbeing makes an IPA that is not too far off from the real thing. Unititled Art makes a tasty version of a juicy IPA, too. For both of these, though, there's no price break for not including alcohol. Both options are as expensive as any usual craft offering. I know she's tried some of the Athletic options but I thought they were all pretty watery. It's not new but the dry-hopped Clausthaler is spot-on (and it's priced a little cheaper than actual beer).

Brewdog's options are not good. I thought they were all sweet and had a slight chemical taste to them. Lagunitas makes an NA IPA (IPNA) that is enjoyable enough. Their Hop Water is very good but more like a hop-flavored seltzer than beer.

My wife has gone all-in so I've tried a few. Wellbeing makes an IPA that is not too far off from the real thing. Unititled Art makes a tasty version of a juicy IPA, too. For both of these, though, there's no price break for not including alcohol. Both options are as expensive as any usual craft offering. I know she's tried some of the Athletic options but I thought they were all pretty watery. It's not new but the dry-hopped Clausthaler is spot-on (and it's priced a little cheaper than actual beer).

Brewdog's options are not good. I thought they were all sweet and had a slight chemical taste to them. Lagunitas makes an NA IPA (IPNA) that is enjoyable enough. Their Hop Water is very good but more like a hop-flavored seltzer than beer.
The hop water is liquid crack, love it.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here

I happened upon some six packs at the grocery store yesterday and I bought one because I am a big Anchor Steam guy but haven’t had it in a while because it’s been hard to get Anchor beers where I am that aren’t months old. Bottle date of Jan 04 2021 for the bottles I got. The new packaging is shit and I don’t get it but whatever.

I happened upon some six packs at the grocery store yesterday and I bought one because I am a big Anchor Steam guy but haven’t had it in a while because it’s been hard to get Anchor beers where I am that aren’t months old. Bottle date of Jan 04 2021 for the bottles I got. The new packaging is shit and I don’t get it but whatever.
are they bottles or cans? I just assumed cans given the box size

Not sure why there would be a price break when making a beer NA is actually a more laborious process that uses the same base ingredients.

dan

Not sure why there would be a price break when making a beer NA is actually a more laborious process that uses the same base ingredients.
As I didn't bother to do any research on my own about the process, your point is well taken. It's just one of those things that seems like it should be the case even if there's no good reason for it to be the case.

As I didn't bother to do any research on my own about the process, your point is well taken. It's just one of those things that seems like it should be the case even if there's no good reason for it to be the case.
Yeah, it's kinda wild. You basically just take the same beer and run a dealcoholization process that removes the alcohol. That's why they are almost never 0.0% ABV. It can also make a beer taste weird cause it often times involves added heat which isn't helpful to a hopped end product.

Latest posts