Quantcast

Random Beer Thoughts

Help Support Talkbeer:

Yeah, maybe it's just because I'm paranoid, but I remember reading something about thermal shock (glass that just had cold beer in it going from hot to cold too fast). I don't remember if I actually posted something about it, but I only rinse with cold water, no soap, and dry with paper towel.
No soap? Have you ever held your glasses up to a bright light? If you wash with no soap they look like a grease-fest.

It's been an issue for me even with using soap. Maybe you put a lot more effort into it, I'm usually washing like 12 glasses from hosting tastings so quick is important.

Could hard or soft water be a factor here?

I just moved and if I don't dishwasher the glassware is always streaky and cloudy.

Really annoying.

I wash by hand only usually with non scented soap.

I thought maybe the hot water hag to do with softening the glass and making it more prone to bactetia or something.

I don't think this is fair. 90 Minute IPA is still really good, especially if you like your IPAs on the maltier side
Okay, look - I get that there are regional preferences for IPA flavor profiles. For example, I sent my regular trade partner in FL a Nelson and he said it still wasn't as good as his favorite IPA, White Oak Jai Alai. But I still can't fathom why anyone would want a malty IPA beyond their first foray into craft beer. Malt muddles hop flavor for me and more often than not makes everything a cloying, less-drinkable mess. If I want a malty hopbomb, I'll drink an imperial red.

Okay, look - I get that there are regional preferences for IPA flavor profiles. For example, I sent my regular trade partner in FL a Nelson and he said it still wasn't as good as his favorite IPA, White Oak Jai Alai. But I still can't fathom why anyone would want a malty IPA beyond their first foray into craft beer. Malt muddles hop flavor for me and more often than not makes everything a cloying, less-drinkable mess. If I want a malty hopbomb, I'll drink an imperial red.
Some people don;t like that bitterness of hops is my guess so they prefer the sweet flavor.

I have what might be a stupid question...
Why aren't there any green apple sours/wilds? Is that not something that would be appealing to people? I personally would drink the shit out of something that resembled a green apple Jolly Rancher. Or am I just ignorant to the fact that such beers already exist?
Trinity makes an apple sour.

In general brewers avoid green apple because it is associated with a beer off flavor called acetaldehyde

http://www.beerandbrewing.com/flavor-week-acetaldehyde/

edit: what TNGabe said.

I figured we could have a thread for things which aren't interesting enough to warrant their own thread but also not irreverent or amusing enough for the true Random Thoughts thread.

Anyone else not very impressed with the direction Sierra Nevada has been going lately? I'm mostly referring to their seasonal releases and mixed packs, where it feels like they are getting lazier and lazier. Today I saw the new "Winter Snowpack" seasonal variety pack at my local store. It's a case that contains 4 each of Coffee Stout (cool, I'd like to try this), Boomerang IPA (IPA with New Zealand hops, sounds fine but it's yet another IPA from Sierra), and two of their regular shelf beers, Porter and Pale Ale. How do you fill half a seasonal pack with year-round beers, including one that's your flagship and available in half the gas stations in the country? This started in the fall where that variety pack had Pale as well. Not to mention the 6-pack seasonals are getting more boring and I'd argue worse (Ruthless Rye has gotten worse each year, and Flipside is totally bleh and replaced Tumbler which, while not great, was at least something different).
Agree that they should have put something else in the winter pack, why not your winter seasonal Celebration?

But I haven't noticed deterioration from Ruthless or Flipside. Maybe living an hour north of the source helps?

Some people don;t like that bitterness of hops is my guess so they prefer the sweet flavor.
People (and breweries) need to stop being dumb and find IPAs with better hop flavor profiles then. Breweries like Stone and Green Flash may have pioneered the crazy hop movement, but they've also damaged it irreparably in some ways by giving filthy casuals a really shitty impression of IPAs on the market right now.

loved the backhand to the cat off the counter hahaha
I wonder if this actually works. I assume it wastes a lot of salt, but getting glassware clean is a problem I have at home. Wash it thoroughly, dry upside down, only to look spotty next time I get the glass down.

I wonder if this actually works. I assume it wastes a lot of salt, but getting glassware clean is a problem I have at home. Wash it thoroughly, dry upside down, only to look spotty next time I get the glass down.
I can see ti work as the salt is def abbrasive enough. My only issue would be the water used to wash the glasses. Not all water is the same.

I can see ti work as the salt is def abbrasive enough. My only issue would be the water used to wash the glasses. Not all water is the same.
I have the hardest water I have ever encountered. Perfectly clean glassware is a pipe dream for me.

hand drying with a lint free glass cloth can prevent many of your hard water spots

i also don't use hot water for the glass cleaning, due to how hard my water is and the fact that it would have to pass through the hot water heater (and all the build up on the heating elements) prior to getting to the faucet. where i live, most people's heaters only last about 6 years unless you flush them routinely, due to hard water deposits on the heating elements. i don't cook with water that's passed through there either. takes a few more minutes to get to a boil, but whatever. there's a noticeable taste difference too if you let a glass of hot water cool down compared to one pulled from the cold water side of the faucet.

i realize this is probably entirely in my mind, but whateerrrr

Last edited:

Latest posts