Random Music Thoughts/Discussion

Help Support Talkbeer:

(Damon Che is a badass)

He's my favorite drummer of all time.

Please note the word favorite, everyone.

He's such a fucking douchebag though.

When he was in Speaking Canaries, he'd call the store I worked at about once a week or so to check on CD sales.

"This is Damon Che of the Speaking Canaries."

"Who?"

"DAMON CHE"

"What's the band again?"

"SPEAKING CANARIES "

"Who's this again?"

"DAMON.

CHE."

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
My thoughts on Tool have changed drastically in the past few weeks for various reasons, but one thing i've never understood is why people see them as a metal band. This boggles my mind completely...it just doesn't compute. I view them as an extension of the prog, experimental and hard rock they grew up with. Their records are far closer to, say, King Crimson than Venom, and even that's not apt because it completely ignores the influence of Devo, Kenny Clarke, Einstürzende Neubauten and Black Flag. They're a melting pot of genre, technique and dynamics.

As for Tool fans being insufferable....they either very much are, or they very much aren't. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

Rancid would be less of the Eagles of punk and much better if Lars Frederiksen was the lead singer/songwriter and Tim Armstrong took a backseat.

But we know too much about Tim Armstrong to know thatd never happen.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
Rancid would be less of the Eagles of punk and much better if Lars Frederiksen was the lead singer/songwriter and Tim Armstrong took a backseat.

I never understood the appeal of Rancid.

I do think that Lars is a much better vocalist. I also once shared my blasphemous opinion that I like Fat Mike better as a bassist. It was the split BYO that NOFX and Rancid did that cemented that for me.

I do think that Lars is a much better vocalist. I also once shared my blasphemous opinion that I like Fat Mike better as a bassist. It was the split BYO that NOFX and Rancid did that cemented that for me.
Tim Armstong's 'accent' drives me completely nuts. You're only from CALI dude, not another part of the planet.

I'm seeing them Sunday on beer, hopefully I lighten up.

This is the second time in the last week that I’ve heard someone describe Armstrong as having an “accent”. Have never heard or thought this before this week. I always thought he just sounded like a fake burnout or something, but not foreign.

I enjoy the first few Rancid albums a whole lot. I don’t know why though because Armstrong and Lars both annoy me...as people and as singers.

Padraig

Premium Supporter
Contributor
Mini doc about dubplate culture filmed around the neighborhood in south London I used to live in.

If anyone is interested in this stuff this is an interview with the guy in the other main cutting house in London, which I think is still going.

FAO - Gaseous Clay

Latest posts