Random thoughts thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

This site is pretty fucking dead but so is DDT. Did the beer forum just die as a whole once Gene sold this site?
This site has struggled as a whole even before the sale. Combine the fact that some of the OGs regularly hated on anyone that joined (looking at you photekut) for not fitting the profile of an OG member, with the fact that interest in beer forums overall is dying and you get this result.

One perk is that this site still doesn't have Tosh, so just remember that things could always get worse.

Did every brewery making a hazy IPA or a barrel aged/pastry stout or things like CBS/BCBS sitting on shelves kill the beer forum?
Honestly, I think the death of trading plays a big part in things. Everything is based off of secondary values anymore. Hell, even this website was about bravado for a lot of people. If you weren't publicly giving away great beers or lighting people up in BiFs you just weren't worthy. It's that attitude, while allowing Tosh to be an absolute shit, that prevented most people from sticking around after joining. Without the Trump thread my activity here would have died in the first week I joined.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here
Honestly, I think the death of trading plays a big part in things. Everything is based off of secondary values anymore. Hell, even this website was about bravado for a lot of people. If you weren't publicly giving away great beers or lighting people up in BiFs you just weren't worthy. It's that attitude, while allowing Tosh to be an absolute shit, that prevented most people from sticking around after joining. Without the Trump thread my activity here would have died in the first week I joined.
True. I joined the Trump thread mainly because nothing else was going on elsewhere. Now I can’t quit it.

It's also just easier to get really good beers locally now, pretty much everywhere. Trading was awesome because there were a limited number of breweries to keep track of and the local stuff was pretty much shit. Now, the hype is beer that I'm not really interested in trading for (ooh, another hazy ipa that I don't want to drink more than 1oz of) and is rarely substantially better than what's available locally.

It's also just easier to get really good beers locally now, pretty much everywhere. Trading was awesome because there were a limited number of breweries to keep track of and the local stuff was pretty much shit. Now, the hype is beer that I'm not really interested in trading for (ooh, another hazy ipa that I don't want to drink more than 1oz of) and is rarely substantially better than what's available locally.
I have had a relatively long obsession with lambic so my local Amlam doesn't quite meet the level that I would. Otherwise, you're pretty much spot on. I've also never been one to get overly obsessed with haze and have very very rarely traded for it. Local barleywine is still all shit though so I have to go out of the way to get that and we don't even really have great stout producers here either. It's a pretty tough life in central NC, lol.

I have had a relatively long obsession with lambic so my local Amlam doesn't quite meet the level that I would. Otherwise, you're pretty much spot on. I've also never been one to get overly obsessed with haze and have very very rarely traded for it. Local barleywine is still all shit though so I have to go out of the way to get that and we don't even really have great stout producers here either. It's a pretty tough life in central NC, lol.
Ya, lambic is still worth trading for (and a buddy of mine does a lot of that for us, which is nice) - I can also buy it directly from Cantillon and 3F via websales these days, which is pretty awesome.

I've been drinking more stouts and barleywines on draft. I have far too many old-ass bottles that don't taste good anymore that keep me from trading for it.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here
Ya, lambic is still worth trading for (and a buddy of mine does a lot of that for us, which is nice) - I can also buy it directly from Cantillon and 3F via websales these days, which is pretty awesome.

I've been drinking more stouts and barleywines on draft. I have far too many old-ass bottles that don't taste good anymore that keep me from trading for it.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
interest in beer forums overall is dying
I don't pay much attention -- has craft beer officially contracted, or is it still in the growth-is-slowing phase? I know I've lost some interest in beer, and so have members of my "tasting" group if you can still call it that. I imagine that would go arm in arm with a lack of interest in forums.

Edit: lmgtfm

4% growth in 2018 in an overall 1% down beer market. I bet it's flat for 2019.

I don't pay much attention -- has craft beer officially contracted, or is it still in the growth-is-slowing phase? I know I've lost some interest in beer, and so have members of my "tasting" group if you can still call it that. I imagine that would go arm in arm with a lack of interest in forums.

Edit: lmgtfm

4% growth in 2018 in an overall 1% down beer market. I bet it's flat for 2019.
Right but look at what this site is about. Sure we share beers and whatnot, but no one trades and we generally mock what is left of the beer trade forums. It’s a lot more practical to buy your local hops and beer compared to what you used to trade for. Sure there are some things I wish I could have more regularly, but I’m done with lines and most of my friends are as well.

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
Right but look at what this site is about. Sure we share beers and whatnot, but no one trades and we generally mock what is left of the beer trade forums. It’s a lot more practical to buy your local hops and beer compared to what you used to trade for. Sure there are some things I wish I could have more regularly, but I’m done with lines and most of my friends are as well.
Oh it was more of a tangent than a rebuttal.

I abhor lines now. I even stagger lunch to avoid waiting in line. Definitely not doing it for beer. We are same.

Lame. They also don't seem to be making it at the Oskar Blues facility here either.

Does it sit on shelves in FL or what?
I would not be surprised to find it sitting at a Total Wine from last year... I haven't lived in FL for years, so I'm out of touch

Latest posts