Rare Barrel Founder's Society

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontdrinkbeer

Reaction score
http://www.therarebarrel.com/shop/joinfoundersclub

$300 Reserve Society includes

• Ten 750 mL bottles of sour beer (Blender’s Choice)
  • First right to purchase most bottle releases online
  • 10% discount on all purchases in tasting room and online
  • One custom ceramic 32oz. growler
  • Two pieces of custom glassware
  • Membership ID card
  • First right of acceptance for 2015 membership
  • Option to pick-up at brewery, ship within California (at an additional cost), or assign a trustee
  • Cost - $300

I guess my first question is, has anyone tried any of their beers?

Second question, how many cherry ryes will this pull?

Interesting gamble.

If the beers are good then it seems like a pretty nice deal especially if you live in Cali and can take advantage of the other perks.

If they are bad then you spent $300 on a bunch of vinegar and acetone.

Afaik no one has tried their beers yet. I'm considering this since they're down the street, but if love to try some beer first.
They had a share on Zwanze day and had 2 kegs of their beers. Heard good things but taking it with a grain of salt since the people who told me are local and have been hyping them up since they announced the brewery not to mention it was at the brewery with the brewers so it automatically makes it taste good.

That said, I hope memberships stay open more than a week. Get paid next week and plan on joining

They had a share on Zwanze day and had 2 kegs of their beers. Heard good things but taking it with a grain of salt since the people who told me are local and have been hyping them up since they announced the brewery not to mention it was at the brewery with the brewers so it automatically makes it taste good.

That said, I hope memberships stay open more than a week. Get paid next week and plan on joining
Interesting. If I knew someone there then maybe I could have a sense of what their opinion counts for.

My fiancee mentioned that they're supposedly going to have a Berliner on all the time, which given its proximity to us might make the growler fills pretty appealing, provided they can make a halfway decent one. I'm considering this more strongly than I initially was.

Interesting. If I knew someone there then maybe I could have a sense of what their opinion counts for.

My fiancee mentioned that they're supposedly going to have a Berliner on all the time, which given its proximity to us might make the growler fills pretty appealing, provided they can make a halfway decent one. I'm considering this more strongly than I initially was.
Can confirm the Berliner thing. Although when I talked to them they called it a "sessionable sour". Said that not enough sessionable sours are made especially given the weather in California so they plan to make some year round option(s)

Can confirm the Berliner thing. Although when I talked to them they called it a "sessionable sour". Said that not enough sessionable sours are made especially given the weather in California so they plan to make some year round option(s)
fd3daa48e156f69db17baa090e29e6b1.jpeg

Mr. Footstones went. He was pretty damn positive on Untappd...

There is a tasting at City Beer Store next week, so hopefully I can try before I buy next Thursday. Unless they sell out stupid quick.

There is a tasting at City Beer Store next week, so hopefully I can try before I buy next Thursday. Unless they sell out stupid quick.
They have no hype compared to a brewery like Wakefield, not to mention unlike Wakefield only a tiny amount of people have tried their stuff. I doubt they'll sell out in a week. I really hope they don't either

They have no hype compared to a brewery like Wakefield, not to mention unlike Wakefield only a tiny amount of people have tried their stuff. I doubt they'll sell out in a week. I really hope they don't either

J. Wakefield Brewing? Will check out the hype!

He left in 2012 didn't he? So everything before that I assume
I don't honestly know, I was just going with what friends have told me. I've only met the guys once and we didn't talk much. I believe someone directly asked them about the acetic thing and they said they considered it a flaw, so we'll see.

I don't honestly know, I was just going with what friends have told me. I've only met the guys once and we didn't talk much. I believe someone directly asked them about the acetic thing and they said they considered it a flaw, so we'll see.
Says on their website he started there when the Bruery was only 6 months old.

Says on their website he started there when the Bruery was only 6 months old.
Yeah, but the question is how much did he influence beers like Mother Funker and Rueuze? If that's what Rare Barrel is going to be churning out, I'm going to be rather disappointed.

Who's doing this? Anyone tried Anything from them? I'd try it if I had the funds. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but the question is how much did he influence beers like Mother Funker and Rueuze? If that's what Rare Barrel is going to be churning out, I'm going to be rather disappointed.
I kinda enjoy Rueuze but if he's the mind behind Mother Funker then I'll be wary of the releases

Last edited:

Hey Stu. Wanna be BFFs?

Maybe you should stop replying to multiple people in the same reply ;)
NEVER! Although two replies would up my numbers for Dave, I don't like the clutter.
Keep me posted on Rare Barrels beers. Quality and what not. :)
Ah, that I can do. They're going to be at a few places week after next, including some that are very close to me, so I'll definitely be trying their stuff soon. Just not before the membership goes on sale. But I doubt they sell like hotcakes, too much reason to be dubious about it.

Man I want to like these guys, but they're making it hard. $300 for untested beer requires some nerve. The Bruery charges $30 for what has been peer reviewed as some of the best beers in the world and these guys don't even have a brewery, they have a barrel storing facility. My friend said they reminded him of the guys in high school who had BMW/Mercedes and I think that's spot on.

I wont be signing up, but I'm still looking forward to trying some of their offerings.

Man I want to like these guys, but they're making it hard. $300 for untested beer requires some nerve. The Bruery charges $30 for what has been peer reviewed as some of the best beers in the world and these guys don't even have a brewery, they have a barrel storing facility. My friend said they reminded him of the guys in high school who had BMW/Mercedes and I think that's spot on.

I wont be signing up, but I'm still looking forward to trying some of their offerings.
I thought that they have brewing equipment now. I was there a while ago and they had some of the stuff, just not all of it.

Man I want to like these guys, but they're making it hard. $300 for untested beer requires some nerve.

I think the price structure is very reasonable (especially compared to J Wakefield)...if the beer is good. I won't be taking the risk, but there's a good chance those who do will be reaping the rewards down the road on the trade forum.

Besides, with a name like Rare Barrel, you know they're producing mad instwalez bro.

For the record it's not 10 different beers but
The Rare Barrel said:
two bottles each of five different brands

Frankly the whole thing sounds like the "Special Bottles" will be nothing more then specific blends of core beers
The Rare Barrel said:
10 Sour Beers
Membership in this club includes 10 bottles of sour beer that the blenders at The Rare Barrel will create specifically for the Founders Club. Of the 10 bottles included in the membership, we anticipate that there will be two bottles each of five different brands. These beers will be blended specifically for the Founder’s Club, and as always, we will work to create the best blends that we possibly can. These beers may be released throughout 2014. Our intent is to release these beers only to the Founder’s Club, however, it is possible that there will be a slight overage in production. When this happens, The Rare Barrel plans to offer Founder’s Club members the opportunity to purchase additional bottles. We also plan to cellar or serve these excess small-batch blends and may release them at special events. If there are excess bottles after the Founder’s Club members have the opportunity to purchase them, and we decide not to cellar or serve the remaining bottles, we may sell them to the public.

I posted this is the Bay Area thread, but figured this would be a good place too. For anyone in the North Bay wanting to try their stuff, BeerCraft in Rohnert Park is having a free Rare Barrel tasting on November 5th.

I thought that they have brewing equipment now. I was there a while ago and they had some of the stuff, just not all of it.

Hmm last I read of their blog they were going to other breweries around SF to brew their beers and their space was just a cellar basically. Something could have changed/I missed something/been mistaken.

Hmm last I read of their blog they were going to other breweries around SF to brew their beers and their space was just a cellar basically. Something could have changed/I missed something/been mistaken.
Like I said, I just know that they have some brewing equipment. It's probably just a pilot system, if they're brewing at hermitage.

Anyone on here join this one? I made the jump/gamble and split it with a couple buddies. I've heard nothing but good things about guys who have been to private tastings there. Just want to see if anyone else decided to spin the barrel and take a shot.

Latest posts

Back