Other Booze Rum

Help Support Talkbeer:

I buy a fair amount of rum for making tiki drinks, but damn - rum makes me feel like a dunce. Trying to figure out what "type" of rum something is makes me very confused.

This was my entry in "good rum" and its a slippery slope from there. That said Zacapa I have found is still the most reasonably priced and consistent bottle out there. I really enjoy it. Once you start reading about the added sugar discussion though, you might want to move up to something like Plantation 20th (mentioned above), more boozy, but less sugar added, and same great flavor.

Also for anybody who drinks other spirits, be weary of "age" statements on bottles. You will notice for example that Zacapa 23 makes you think its aged 23 years but nowhere does it say that on the bottle. Same with something like Kirk & Sweeney 23, it says '23 Year' but that is a vague statement that does not imply the entire contents is aged 23 years (like a scotch or other whisky would be). Make sure it actually says 'aged XX years' on the bottle if that kind of thing matters to you.

Happy to spend more time discussing rum! New to the forum but good sipping Rum is definitely in the rotation nowadays.
So would Plantation be less sweet than your typical rum? I've struggled with Rums because they all tend to be so damn sugary and hard to drink more than a little bit at a go.

So would Plantation be less sweet than your typical rum? I've struggled with Rums because they all tend to be so damn sugary and hard to drink more than a little bit at a go.
To me it is less sweet, more boozy, and less syrupy. I feel like that description sells it short but I am talking about in comparison to something like Zacapa 23. It is one of my favorite Rums.

That said another choice that is even further along that spectrum is Zafra 21. That one I believe has zero sugar added and you will notice that in the taste in relation to other aged rums.

To me it is less sweet, more boozy, and less syrupy. I feel like that description sells it short but I am talking about in comparison to something like Zacapa 23. It is one of my favorite Rums.

That said another choice that is even further along that spectrum is Zafra 21. That one I believe has zero sugar added and you will notice that in the taste in relation to other aged rums.
Interesting, thanks, I'll have to check those out. I suspect that Rum as a liquor is too sweet for me to truly enjoy on its own, as I can't even get into Bourbon due to finding it too sweet, but I'm open to trying new ones (of either) to sway my opinion.

This was my entry in "good rum" and its a slippery slope from there. That said Zacapa I have found is still the most reasonably priced and consistent bottle out there. I really enjoy it. Once you start reading about the added sugar discussion though, you might want to move up to something like Plantation 20th (mentioned above), more boozy, but less sugar added, and same great flavor.

Also for anybody who drinks other spirits, be weary of "age" statements on bottles. You will notice for example that Zacapa 23 makes you think its aged 23 years but nowhere does it say that on the bottle. Same with something like Kirk & Sweeney 23, it says '23 Year' but that is a vague statement that does not imply the entire contents is aged 23 years (like a scotch or other whisky would be). Make sure it actually says 'aged XX years' on the bottle if that kind of thing matters to you.

Happy to spend more time discussing rum! New to the forum but good sipping Rum is definitely in the rotation nowadays.
That Zacapa 23 is my favorite. They use the Solera aging system, so some of the rum blended into each bottle is 23 year old rum. Some of it much younger. Either way, like you said, it is very consistent and, imo, absolutely incredible, so they can call it whatever they want. I had no idea about added sugar. I'm going to have to read up on that.

I've been really tempted lately to splurge for the Zacapa XO. I don't like spending that much though.

I've been really tempted lately to splurge for the Zacapa XO. I don't like spending that much though.
Same, but I have heard (never tried) that its not much better than the 23 and 3x the price. If I see it at a bar one day ill give it a whirl if the price is right but not sure its worth the $100 a bottle I've seen it at.

Same, but I have heard (never tried) that its not much better than the 23 and 3x the price. If I see it at a bar one day ill give it a whirl if the price is right but not sure its worth the $100 a bottle I've seen it at.
That was my first thought. Then saw it at a bar for $30 a shot. Figured might as well buy a bottle for that price.

But shit. This thread made me go down the added sugar worm hole last night and now I don't know what's what. I'm going to try to get some Richard Seale 10 I guess.

When drinking liquor I mostly stick to whisk(e)y, especially single malt scotch. But I have enjoyed Zacapa 23 quite a bit, especially for the price. I recently finished off my bottle, and have been eyeing another rum.

Specifically, I'm looking at Papa Pilar 24 Dark. Has anybody had it? And more specifically, I know they make single barrel store blends where they take said rum and re-finish it in bourbon barrels. Anybody tried that and have thoughts on how it compares? (Especially interested if FTowne has an opinion on the TWCP single barrel version, as I'm thinking about having a friend ship one over.)

When drinking liquor I mostly stick to whisk(e)y, especially single malt scotch. But I have enjoyed Zacapa 23 quite a bit, especially for the price. I recently finished off my bottle, and have been eyeing another rum.

Specifically, I'm looking at Papa Pilar 24 Dark. Has anybody had it? And more specifically, I know they make single barrel store blends where they take said rum and re-finish it in bourbon barrels. Anybody tried that and have thoughts on how it compares? (Especially interested if FTowne has an opinion on the TWCP single barrel version, as I'm thinking about having a friend ship one over.)
Have not had it. Sorry.

I buy a fair amount of rum for making tiki drinks, but damn - rum makes me feel like a dunce. Trying to figure out what "type" of rum something is makes me very confused.
Haha, I just went to the only store here with any rum selection looking for Smith & Cross or Plantation 5 and when they had neither, I went all deer in the headlights.

Got a Brugal Viejo. Neat to try something without much added sugar. Stands out as oaky for a rum without the sweetening. Has a canned tuna thing, which is odd on the nose, but oddly pleasing to my palate. Not likely to be revisited neat, but should be fun in cocktails. I like this enough to try the extra viejo as a sipper sometime.

I'm going to get Bharbancourt 8 next I think. I haven't tried any of the agricultural style rums.

Haha, I just went to the only store here with any rum selection looking for Smith & Cross or Plantation 5 and when they had neither, I went all deer in the headlights.

Got a Brugal Viejo. Neat to try something without much added sugar. Stands out as oaky for a rum without the sweetening. Has a canned tuna thing, which is odd on the nose, but oddly pleasing to my palate. Not likely to be revisited neat, but should be fun in cocktails. I like this enough to try the extra viejo as a sipper sometime.

I'm going to get Bharbancourt 8 next I think. I haven't tried any of the agricultural style rums.
I'm just now starting to understand column, pot, blended / unblended, agricole, etc. Much more complex than whiskey IMO. It's rather fun.

An unfortunate quirk of my personality is that I can't just casually be in to something. I have to go hardcore all the way, and that's what I'm currently in the midst of with rum, and Tiki.

It's fun though, I like it.

Picked up a J Wray & Nephew so that should make for some fun cocktail experiments. Should be interesting neat, too. Grabbed an El Dorado 5 for some reason, too. Seems like I could have skipped that one.

Picked up a J Wray & Nephew so that should make for some fun cocktail experiments. Should be interesting neat, too. Grabbed an El Dorado 5 for some reason, too. Seems like I could have skipped that one.
Not lying about the brown banana esters in the wray & nephew.

1.5oz el dorado 5
.5 w & n OP
1 oz lime juice
2 tsp demerera

not a bad little daquiri.

Latest posts