Rum

Help Support Talkbeer:

I just found this on the shelf and was surprised it's still out there. 59% and 11years and not adultered. Couple of rocks in the glass and, as said, the Bourbon influence is smaller than I expected. And the body of the rum itself is lighter, a touch more molasses to bring out the rum aide would have been nice. To me, my impression is it drinks more like an Irish whiskey aged in borubon barrels with a hint of rum. Mostly because it's very dry.

Now I want to find the 2005.

And I finally found the '05.

Tasting notes is the '04 is a bit sweeter, more molasses and rum heat. The '05 is more like Bourbon, hits harder (they are the same proof) and has more barrel character. At $80 each they're not cheap, but both delicious.

Attachments

I went to a killer tasting led by the The Real McCoy founder last week. He also made an emmy winning rum documentary I need to watch ASAP. The doc is online http://www.realmccoyspirits.com/movie

One thing that really surprised me is how much added sugar is in some rum. I knew about back sweeting, but the numbers are crazy. Here is a link to see how much sugar is in some rums. It also shows true abv vs. labelled abv. Some of these numbers are crazy. for example, Ron Zacapa 23 is labelled at 40% abv and was tested to be 28.9% abv with 39 grams of sugar per liter!!!!!!!

Also, drink Real McCoy rum. It's fantastic.

Edit: It's made by Four Square Rum.

I was curious because the disrecepancies between listed and measured ABVs are so large, which is because the measured ABV is off as a function of sugar content. A thorough explanation is here: http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/16-the-hydrometer-method

TLDR: The ABV of rum is not way lower than listed as you suggested; instead. residual sugar makes the measured ABV via hydrometer wrong by a known amount, which is in turn used to calculate residual sugar.

I was curious because the disrecepancies between listed and measured ABVs are so large, which is because the measured ABV is off as a function of sugar content. A thorough explanation is here: http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/16-the-hydrometer-method

TLDR: The ABV of rum is not way lower than listed as you suggested; instead. residual sugar makes the measured ABV via hydrometer wrong by a known amount, which is in turn used to calculate residual sugar.
I thought a out that too. More sugar = higher gravity = flawed abv reading. I just assumed the author accounted for that. Especially since this was quoted in that presentation I was at. Though I'd fell better of that was explained in the link.

I've been picking up a few bottles of rum recently, stuff that seemed like a good deal at duty free or things I read about in the Death & Co book. Trying to get ready for tiki and daiquiri season.

I had a tough time finding any rhum agricole, had to special order this bottle.

IMG_20190427_192836.jpg

Heavy green vegetals up front. I want to say the back end is boozy but it's not quite, more like propane or white gas. Minimal sweetness.

Been trying this Death & Co recipe with other rums. Ho hum, mezcal and tequila overpower the rum.

IMG_20190427_195051.jpg IMG_20190427_195105.jpg

IMG_20190427_200334.jpg

This is way more interesting. The rhum plays on the same bold level as the agaves now.

I've been picking up a few bottles of rum recently, stuff that seemed like a good deal at duty free or things I read about in the Death & Co book. Trying to get ready for tiki and daiquiri season.

I had a tough time finding any rhum agricole, had to special order this bottle.

View attachment 7142

Heavy green vegetals up front. I want to say the back end is boozy but it's not quite, more like propane or white gas. Minimal sweetness.

Been trying this Death & Co recipe with other rums. Ho hum, mezcal and tequila overpower the rum.

View attachment 7143 View attachment 7144

View attachment 7146

This is way more interesting. The rhum plays on the same bold level as the agaves now.
Mmmmmmm