SARA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahnatenelson

Reaction score
BA/rb has had a boner for Sante Adairius for a little while now. For those of you who have tried a few SARA beers, how are they really? It seems like Red Peak made flesh, so I'm curious to know if they are genuinely as good as all of the easily distracted traders assume they are or if it's the emperor's new clothes.

So far, I've had a handful of their beers. Some have been amazing, some haven't been for me.

Ones I loved:
West Ashley (the real deal. ****ing phenomenal)
Appreciation (really, really good, but not WA level)
Batch 200
Saison Bernice
Bright Sea Blonde
Unit 101

Ones I didn't care for:
Pucker Chavez
Adjunct Professor

I guess if you want to compare to other hype train beers that typically meet the standard (at least for me) their saisons are as good or better in some cases than Hill Farmstead. West Ashley is easily the best new beer of the year so far for me.

I'm not a big fan of Saisons, but I liked Anais. It's HF-level good. West Ashley is phenomenal, and I loved Appreciation but haven't had it in a while, those berry beers can change fast. The rest of their lineup is sort of mixed to me, Saison Bernice is fine, Unit 101 is below average (though other people seem to like it, so ymmv), Bright Sea is fine, Maiden Fields is okay but is kind of meaty, they might have had an autolysis issue with it. Adjunct Professor is basically what you expect for a fruited and wine-BA stout, you know going in if you'll like it, it exceeded my low expectations.

There are few other random ones, I liked Simple Simcoe, regular Chavez was fine (didn't have puckered). Fortunately, they seem to be mostly interested in perfecting their beers rather than churning out hundreds of one-offs, so if you want them they shouldn't be that hard to get in time.

IPA is meh (although SD has ruined me), Chavez is good, both my bottles of Saison Bernice and Maiden Fields smelled like ass but tasted pretty good, West Ashley is ridiculously awesome.

Havn't had west ashley, here's how I'd rank what I've had:

Appreciation
Bernice
Bright Sea Blonde
Cask 200
Chavez
Maiden Fields
Unit 101
Puckered Chavez
Adjunct Prof

They're delicious, I send out Hill stuff for them generally, $4$ to a couple regular trading partners.

Thanks for the input. So general consensus: "in terms of small, hyped, regional breweries, it's what you'd expect."

It seems like SARA is now where HF was a year ago, at least in terms of trade strength. West Ashley sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that I can stomach another round of 'that's a totally fair offer, but I'm going to pass' trade offer replies.

Thanks for the input. So general consensus: "in terms of small, hyped, regional breweries, it's what you'd expect."

It seems like SARA is now where HF was a year ago, at least in terms of trade strength. West Ashley sounds interesting, but I'm not sure that I can stomach another round of 'that's a totally fair offer, but I'm going to pass' trade offer replies.

FWIW Nate, I had the opportunity to talk to Tim from SARA for a good while this weekend, and a lot more of everything is in barrels now.

Next time it comes out you'll be fine. I mean, I pretty much only trade for gueuze, but a lot of my friends are into all kinds of silly non-gueuze beers and I'm sure would hook you up.

Every time I see this thread title, I think this:

tumblr_mcc9y7ppRb1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Back