AMA Schramm's Mead

Help Support Talkbeer:

2plums4one

Custom Title
...That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that having the top limit on ground be 70 degrees is not only pointlessly restrictive (I'm very familiar with the science of beer staling/aging with temperature and there's no indication whatsoever that you'll hit problems in the short term until at least 75 and, honestly, higher for a short period is fine, I have a hard time believing that mead is more sensitive than beer), but that it's completely unrealistic for non-local Mazers to meet it. Yes, obviously if it's 90 degrees out don't ship, but if it's high of 80 and low of 60? With any reasonable packaging the contents of the box won't hit 80 unless they're in the sun for a prolonged period of time. Heat just doesn't work that way (and packing materials are great thermal dampeners).

Also, if you're aware of any trustees who are willing to properly cellar the mead indefinitely until a shipping window opens up, well, you know some saints. I'm not going to ask that of anyone because it's completely unreasonable. Hell, Schramms themselves are unwilling to do it. I think that should tell you all you need to about how reasonable it is to ask. We wait for a break in a weather to something reasonable and then ship, but it's not going to be the magic two weeks in November or March that the entire route is between 30 and 70 for every second of the trip.

Anyway, whatever, like I said this doesn't end up being super important to me because I would hardly ever get things shipped straight from Schramms, but I think you would open yourself up to a lot more business (and make the process more attractive for Mazers) at no loss of quality whatsoever by broadening your criteria.
I was always under the assumption that mead is more susceptible to higher temps.

drgarage

Not a real doctor. Lives in garage.
Contributor
Someone should contact SenseAware to help with the audit trail on the variants of handling and storage.

Someone should contact SenseAware to help with the audit trail on the variants of handling and storage.

That is a pretty sweet offering, for sure. It is EX-PEN-SIVE though. Probably something that would be smart if you were shipping bottles of DRC or A5 wagyu — but it would be challenging for me to add such a high additional cost onto our DtC shipping program at this point. 98% of the complaints i've been getting about our shipping program are about the costs and restrictions (I don't ship ground to Miami in July, etc etc). Thanks for sending that -- it's very cool that Fedex is doing that. The device is basically what I put together myself from arduino & GPS/temp/humidity sensors for auditing purposes.

drgarage

Contributor
That is a pretty sweet offering, for sure. It is EX-PEN-SIVE though. Probably something that would be smart if you were shipping bottles of DRC or A5 wagyu — but it would be challenging for me to add such a high additional cost onto our DtC shipping program at this point. 98% of the complaints i've been getting about our shipping program are about the costs and restrictions (I don't ship ground to Miami in July, etc etc). Thanks for sending that -- it's very cool that Fedex is doing that. The device is basically what I put together myself from arduino & GPS/temp/humidity sensors for auditing purposes.
I was kind of joking -- I worked with FedEx on the go-to-market strategy for it almost a decade ago. They sometimes will loan out a device to a company if there's an interesting case study in it for them, though I bet they do it less now that it's actually got some real traction.

It gets used a lot more for highly sensitive and value biopharma, aerospace components, etc.

drgarage

Contributor
I was kind of joking -- I worked with FedEx on the go-to-market strategy for it almost a decade ago. They sometimes will loan out a device to a company if there's an interesting case study in it for them, though I bet they do it less now that it's actually got some real traction.

It gets used a lot more for highly sensitive and value biopharma, aerospace components, etc.
Just an update to note that SenseAware was used for an almost-as-important purpose as testing the temperature range mead would get subjected to in a cross-country journey.

Latest posts