Scotch

Help Support Talkbeer:

completely agree about IB Caol Ila with one exception - the annual unpeated bottles are worthy. i sampled an older release (2013-15 range) during a weekend of serious malt drinking and it stood out as a top 3-4 bottle in a group of 30+. from what i've read they are consistent in profile and not truly 'unpeated'.

K&L had for several months a Caol Ila 34 year old that was pretty heavily peated for a scotch of that age ($375). Can't recommend it highly enough if it's still around.

Opened a 26yr bunnahabhain this week. Yummo

Also tried dewars white label. Gotta say it exceeded my expectations. Now I wanna be blinded a taste to see what I think.

Anyone open Ardbeg "Committee" DRUM yet?

I am definitely not saving it, but part of me wants to buy + dig into a Corryvreckan or Uigeadail, since i haven't had either in a long time, before opening a one-off. I kind of just stumbled on this bottle and have a hard time turning down (relatively speaking) CS Islay.

Anyone open Ardbeg "Committee" DRUM yet?

I am definitely not saving it, but part of me wants to buy + dig into a Corryvreckan or Uigeadail, since i haven't had either in a long time, before opening a one-off. I kind of just stumbled on this bottle and have a hard time turning down (relatively speaking) CS Islay.
I had a bunch of Ardbegs over the weekend including DRUM, Dark Cove and Kildalton. The latter was my favorite.

i'm tired of pacific edge distributing springbank and glengyle in the states. we get absolutely hosed on pricing before taxes, but even worse is simply the time lag in getting the shit over here.

i think it's been 7-8 months since longrow 14 yr sherry cask was released in the UK? still zero sign of it in the US (and i'm pretty sure it had a TTB approval). not to mention the new kilkerran 3 yr peated that just dropped. it also had a 750ml label approved. i can't wait to not buy that until 2020.

Ed - I just looked up their stupid product "catalog" and both of the bottles from above are listed there... except wait, they don't even have the right fucking age for the longrow sherry. there is no "12 year" bottling. dumb fucks.

Max

Fire and Cane!

Or any of these: https://distiller.com/lists/the-best-whiskeys-aged-in-rum-barrels

Glennfiddichs are probably closest to Balvenie, cause Scotch....rest on the list are still whisky w/ similar profiles finishing in rum casks.
I would take that list with a grain of salt (with all due respect) as that Pike Creek stuff is seriously dreadful. Someone brought the Port Pipe 10yr to a party I was hosting, and it smelled like poison. You know when you are at an all inclusive (against your will, in my case) and someone orders something that an all-inclusive in the DR simply isn't equipped to prepare, let's say a Negroni. They use the same kool-aid red bottle that they used for the Aperol drink someone ordered a few minutes before... and they hand you the "Negroni" and it smells like something you keep under the kitchen sink?

That's what Pike Creek smelled like to me. Just sayin.

---
The rest of that list looks pretty legit. The Balvenie 14yr is probably a good step up from the Fire&Cane (or a step down coming from The Balvenie). I think there is a new "Golden Cask" rum The Balvenie floating around that might be more comparable. I would not expect the Fire &Cane to be nearly as mature as that 14yr, although it's a good bit less expensive and I'd definitely score a couple times @ $25. I think The Glenlivet and The Glenfiddich get a bad rap, they don't do aggressive/ cutting age stuff, as that isn't what their massive customer base is typically looking for. Cheers!

another whisky rant...

compass box is mega-overrated. i was caught up in their hype for a year or two, collecting some of the various 'LE's' until i started opening them or trying others i hadn't bought yet at bars. the jokes about their formulaic "<insert clynelish or caol ila> + <filler single malts mostly used in blends>" has validity.

the general, lost blend, flaming heart, no name, delilah's, hedonism (including maximus and quindecimus)... i've yet to come across any that hit the mark and that's without taking into account the MSRP. they seem to have found a specific style where they combined good marketing and unique branding with a a taste formula that values safe choices first and foremost. and i'm not speaking as a single malt snob... i would drink black bull 12 over any of those bottles i listed above.