SD growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdto1st1

Reaction score
No, I don't need you guys to plan my whole trip for me, I got it mostly covered.
I am headed down on Saturday for my bachelor party, and while I'm down there would like to get some growlers filled. I haven't kept up on all the laws and who is doing what, but I'm sure locals have. I have 3 Bruery branded growlers and 1 Alesmith growler and 1 Alesmith grumbler (I think that's what the small one is called). I am not looking to buy any more glassware!
I am hitting Alesmith and Societe and Stone already, not sure if I will get fills there, but just wondering what other breweries in those areas or close to the Gaslamp I could get my existing glassware filled at. Thanks for any suggestions.

If it's a bachelor party plan on hitting societe last as it's right in the heart of SD Gentleman's club scene. I planned the brewery crawl part of my buddy's BP and that's how it rolled. for those that might not be into that Hamilton's is right down the street which is where I went with some of the guys who didn't want to do the club thing

Hmm, seeing how the laws in San Diego are pretty loose for growler fills I'd suggest getting them filled at Societe, Bruery and Alpine. The Bruery is right down the road from the Gaslamp District and I'd get them all filled with Ebony & Oak. When you're done there head to Alpine, another few blocks away and get some Captain Stout and Mandarin Nectar, growlers are only $10 plus the fill.

After your quick trip head on over to Nicky Rotten's for a burger, or rueben.

Hmm, seeing how the laws in San Diego are pretty loose for growler fills I'd suggest getting them filled at Societe, Bruery and Alpine. The Bruery is right down the road from the Gaslamp District and I'd get them all filled with Ebony & Oak. When you're done there head to Alpine, another few blocks away and get some Captain Stout and Mandarin Nectar, growlers are only $10 plus the fill.

After your quick trip head on over to Nicky Rotten's for a burger, or rueben.

Thanks for being a smartass.

I'll make it really simple for you...

You can get your Bruery growler filled only at The Bruery
You can get your AleSmith growler filled only at AleSmith

Any questions?

All your answers can be found here: http://bit.ly/125C3sZ

Hahaha on the LMGTFY link. I was just wondering about policies, since I know some people are changing theirs. Guess nobody down ther wants to fill Palla style growlers though.

If it's a bachelor party plan on hitting societe last as it's right in the heart of SD Gentleman's club scene. I planned the brewery crawl part of my buddy's BP and that's how it rolled. for those that might not be into that Hamilton's is right down the street which is where I went with some of the guys who didn't want to do the club thing

Societe is last on our tour and that is exactly why.

I do commend your effort to post your inquiry on TalkBeer vs. BeerAdvocate where it probably would have been mercilessly torn apart by the likes of myself and many others.

Lol, it's funny, the most hellpful and straightforward response I got was from a BM i sent to SuppyDeuce.o_O

What's the world coming to?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't need you guys to plan my whole trip for me, I got it mostly covered.
I am headed down on Saturday for my bachelor party, and while I'm down there would like to get some growlers filled. I haven't kept up on all the laws and who is doing what, but I'm sure locals have. I have 3 Bruery branded growlers and 1 Alesmith growler and 1 Alesmith grumbler (I think that's what the small one is called). I am not looking to buy any more glassware!
I am hitting Alesmith and Societe and Stone already, not sure if I will get fills there, but just wondering what other breweries in those areas or close to the Gaslamp I could get my existing glassware filled at. Thanks for any suggestions.

Itinerary? I'm planning something similar for my own BP, curious as to what others have done.

Glad to know societe's where we should end things.

Itinerary? I'm planning something similar for my own BP, curious as to what others have done.

Glad to know societe's where we should end things.

You're planning yours? poor bastard. you need a better best man.

but seriously, societe and gentlemans clubs are the only things i really know about since I gave the guys a vague idea and let them run with it.

You're planning yours? poor bastard. you need a better best man.

but seriously, societe and gentlemans clubs are the only things i really know about since I gave the guys a vague idea and let them run with it.

If I let him plan it, he'd inevitably start a "where to go" in San Diego thread, at which point I'd be morally obligated to shame him publicly, and then id need a new best man.

Vicious cycle, nowhatimsayin?

Please check in with a full trip report, including Reubens smashed, lap dances received, and titties seen.

Mostly the first part though.

If I let him plan it, he'd inevitably start a "where to go" in San Diego thread, at which point I'd be morally obligated to shame him publicly, and then id need a new best man.

Vicious cycle, nowhatimsayin?

Please check in with a full trip report, including Reubens smashed, lap dances received, and titties seen.

Mostly the first part though.

I will def give you a report, when is your big day?

Haha, nice man, mine is actually next Sat, 8/24. Pulling the BP the weekend before cause I'm crazy lol. Congrats yourself man, I'll hit you up with a recap after.

Ok, if I may ask a new question in the same thread, what are policies down there about using a passport instead of a drivers license? I know that Churchills gives people **** for it, but anywhere else we should steer clear of because of it?

Ok, if I may ask a new question in the same thread, what are policies down there about using a passport instead of a drivers license? I know that Churchills gives people **** for it, but anywhere else we should steer clear of because of it?
I don't think they're allowed to refuse you service if you show a passport vs. drivers license. Aren't they both legal documents proving your identity? And if people give you **** for it is another story but that's just them being ********. My $0.02

Ok, so I've been to the doctor about my pinky, got my cell back, and didn't really like those shoes anyway. So here's what you care about, the beer.

We did a tour with Brewerey Tours of San Diego and our driver was Rob. He was friggin awesome. Our schedule was Societe, Alesmith, then San Diego Brewing Company for the 3 breweries in 5 hours with food.

We got out and hit up Societe which I really expected to be a lot more packed, but all 12 of us were able to use the bar-height table easily. We were each given 5 of the 4oz pours there and it gave us the ability to taste quite a bit. I fell in love with the sexy stainless growlers, and so on the way out I picked up one of the Apprentice. Rob mentioned to us that we were running ahead of time and if we kept that pace, he could take us to a fourth place if we wanted.

Next we got to Alesmith and were told we could have 5 of the taster pours of anything on the left board. Some were bummed about not getting to have the Viet Speedway included, but they just decided to man up and pay the small amount of money. That **** is fantastic, one of my groomsmen got bottles and picked them up while we were there, and he said "congratulations!" and handed me one of them. :D I had taken my alesmith growlers down there knowing I was going to get them filled and so I picked up a growler of Speedway and a grumbler of Old Numb. They also still had BA Old Numb on the shelves so I picked up 2 of those.

Rob said we were doing good and so he would take us to Ballast Point. The tasters here were on us of course, but that wasn't a problem. I tried the Three Sheets which was amazing, and the Serrano Sculpin which made for some firey poops. A couple of my guys picked up 6-packs of canned Sculpin since it is sparse around where they live. Quick stop, but a nice, unexpected plus.

Finally we went to SD Brewing Company. Now I know, not really exciting, but we needed a place to eat, and with Stone's anniversary weekend, we couldn't go there. So SDBC it was with an awesome plus of them having Pure Hoppiness on tap. Had the beer mac & cheese, which 9/10 would bang again.

Super trashed (at least I was) we got back in the bus and went back to the hotel.

So apparently we got back and all the guys poured me into a cab and went to Pacers. It was pretty solid, probably the best I've seen outside of Vegas, although I don't claim to be an expert in paying to see boobies. Somehow my cell was not in my pants when we left, and I didn't really care.

We got back to the hotel and walked a few blocks to Monkey Paw cause I was apparently on a mission to try some Peanut Butter Porter I had heard about earlier (can't remember if I even got it). I got sleepy at the bar after a while, so we went back to the hotel again.

I apparently got my second wind there and started to open the bottles I had brought with me. After this friggin long day, I opened White Chocolate, Beauregarde, Parabola, Sucaba, Bottleworks 12 and SitR Kumquat. Then I passed out in the room and was in pain the next day.

I don't remember and nobody else does where or when I lost my shoe or broke my pinky, but such is life.

But not too much pain since we stopped by Best Damn Beer Shop before we left and hit Stone on the way back up.

TL;DR - read one post up for summary.

Also, RedBeeron you should be booking it soon. We tried to go with my first choice tour which would have been Scavengers about 3 months out and they were all booked up. I'd say you should call up whatever tour company you choose this weekend.

Latest posts

Back