Sharing Your Pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
I figure one of the best threads on BA should be reborn here, especially given how much discussion we have about food and food pr0n pics.

Since I work pretty late twice a week, I've started getting into the habit of making slow cooker meals in the morning to be consumed when I got home. Here's my recipe for something I call "Southwestern Rice Medley":

1 cup rice (I like brown or wild, but white would work too)
1/2 cup dried beans (rehydrated at least one day before; I use a mix of black, and garbanzo beans)
1 can diced tomatoes (save the liquid)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small package frozen corn
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (or similar)
2 cups liquid (tomato can juice and water)

Combine olive oil, rice, beans, tomatoes, garlic powder, Mexican seasoning, and liquid in a crock pot, and cook on low. At least 30 minutes before eating, mix in the corn.

Tonight I decided to spice things up a bit, so I topped it with a poached egg and shredded cheese, melted it in the oven under the broiler, and finished it with pinneaple habanero salsa. Since this was a nice spicy meal, I paired it with a double IPA which I find to complement southwestern style food well.

Nothing compared to yours, but this is fantastic
null_zpse78eb7ee.jpg

The dark chocolate/blueberry flavors present really match with the coffee malty notes in hurrr. Would bang again /10

Most of the time, I don't eat anything until I'm done drinking beer. I've tried many combinations of food and beer including pairings suggested by pro brewers who fancy themselves as gourmets. For me, nothing pairs well with beer except for another sip of beer. I might have a few corn chips in between beers, but can't fully appreciate a sip of quality beer with a meal. Freak of nature? Perhaps.

This one is from Friday night, not my own cooking but worth sharing. Florence SC is a cultural black hole to put it politely, and that mostly extends to food and craft beer. My friends and I are trying to change that with regards to beer, and one pizza joint in town is doing the same with food. It's called Rebel Pie and while the name might suggest good ole boyz making some American facsimile of pizza, it's actually owned and operated by a guy who bought a 900 degree wood oven, imports his own flour from Italy, and makes thin crust wood-fired pizza using a simple flour and water dough recipe. Fresh local ingredients are sourced for the pizzas, and I almost always make my own based around white sauce, caramelized onions, and chevre goat cheese. But this time I decided to try the buffalo chicken special, with red sauce, goat and mozzarella cheese, carmelized onions, bacon, and buffalo chicken. Paired it with a Highland oatmeal porter because I was in the mood for something dark with some creaminess:

This pretty much goes for any and all foods, sans dessert (imho).
There are a couple beer pairings that I think are sort of cheating:

1) Barleywine with bleu cheese. I don't really understand why this works so well, but god damn, work it does.
2) Saison with salad. I'm not even a saison fan, but this almost always works.

Dessert is super hard to pair with, because if you have anything sweet it can wreck a lot of beers. Some people seem to like pairing stouts with chocolate desserts but that's a lot of clash, IMO. I typically go for a framboise, especially if you're pairing it with something like pot de creme or creme brulee.

Bought some pork belly the other day to make some bacon. Decided to use a pound of pork belly to make this (this is basically a modified David Chang / Momofuku deal):

Quick rub of sugar, salt and togarashi.

Roasted at about 450 for an hour then down to 200 for an hour. Baste in its own fat every 15 minutes or so.

Toast some rolls in pork fat, throw in some home made pickles (cukes, rice wine vinegar, honey, soy, sesame oil), scallions, hoisin, sriracha.

I find that sours work pretty well with Asian flavors for the same reason that acidic wines like dry Rieslings or gruners do, in some cases even better. The carbonation really cuts through the fat as well. There are probably better beers that would have worked in this case, but I really enjoyed the pairing.

Bought some pork belly the other day to make some bacon. Decided to use a pound of pork belly to make this (this is basically a modified David Chang / Momofuku deal):

Roasted at about 450 for an hour then down to 200 for an hour. Baste in its own fat every 15 minutes or so.

Toast some rolls in pork fat, throw in some home made pickles (cukes, rice wine vinegar, honey, soy, sesame oil), scallions, hoisin, sriracha.

I find that sours work pretty well with Asian flavors for the same reason that acidic wines like dry Rieslings or gruners do, in some cases even better. The carbonation really cuts through the fat as well. There are probably better beers that would have worked in this case, but I really enjoyed the pairing.
Did you score the fat before cooking it?

Dude you had me at pork belly. I honestly didn't even read the rest.

I've learned today that Cajun Beef Summer Sausage goes very well with Sun King Pappy Van Muckle. No preparation needed, I just peeled back the plastic and am gnawing it right off the log.

I've learned today that Cajun Beef Summer Sausage goes very well with Sun King Pappy Van Muckle. No preparation needed, I just peeled back the plastic and am gnawing it right off the log.
Are you going to eat that whole thing in one sitting?

I've posted about poached eggs in the food pr0n thread, but I made two perfect ones for breakfast and just had to enter them here. This is right after poaching, placed on top of two halves of a sandwich thin:

Nothing special or tricky done, just poached in lightly salted water, that we heated to just below boiling then removed from the heat, for about 4 minutes. My "trick", if there is any, is to roll the egg out of a bowl into the water, actually letting the water get into the bowl and guide the egg out. This seems to keep everything nicely together.

Next step is to top the eggs with pineapple habanero salsa and shredded cheese, and broil for a few minutes until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown:

The obvious pairing, given that this was breakfast, would have been a Breakfast Stout or a Terrapin Wake-N-Bake, but I had neither already chilled in the fridge so I opted for a Highland Black Mocha stout, which filled in nicely.

I feel like IPAs and DIPAs shouldn't be paired with food. The bitterness wrecks your palate. I would pick a stout or barleywine with meat over an IPA any day. Just my .02 though...

I feel like IPAs and DIPAs shouldn't be paired with food. The bitterness wrecks your palate. I would pick a stout or barleywine with meat over an IPA any day. Just my .02 though...

I like the combination of a fruity, citrusy hop bomb with an aggressive, smoky piece of meat. I really cannot remember enjoying a simple pairing as much as that brisket and Coast Boy King DIPA pictured above, from Saturday.

Doing a lot of cross-posting today and giving zero ****s about it. Much beer and food was consumed yesterday that needs to be shown off.

Chocolate cake with chocolate and whipped marshmallow frosting paired with New Glarus Raspberry Tart at a birthday party:

If I had the entire cake and entire bottle of beer to myself, I would have finished them both. This pairing was that heavenly.

Heck, the cake was so good I would have eaten the whole thing even if I were forced to pair it with water.

Hey dudes, I'm going to a dinner tonight that's BYOB, and while I have a plan I could use a few more eyes on it in case I missed something. Here's the menu:

20140513_-_menu.jpg

"Snacks" is like 4-6 different small courses, but we won't know what they are until we get there. Also, since I can only drink so much with that many courses (and it's just my fiancee and me going) I'm planning on bringing ~5 beers, mostly smaller bottles, so they all have to do double-duty. Here's my thinking:

For the snacks a growler of 1500 from my kegerator and a bottle of 3F Geuze. That should be able to handle most anything in there.

For the first 3 main courses a Saison Bernice. I think the light body, acidity, and mild yeastiness/funk will work well with everything there.

For the next 2 main courses a Westy XII, so a bit over 1-year-old quad. I'm not really sure how well that'll go with the pork, but it should work great with the rabbit.

For the first two desserts a BCBS. I normally hate pairing stouts with desserts, but since those are both fruit-heavy and probably not too sweet I don't think it'll clash.

The "treats" are the same deal as the snacks, but smaller. I was thinking a Framboise for that, but I don't have any! So I grabbed a 3F Kriek, which I think will go with whatever comes up, and could also be serviceable if we get a surprise with the snacks (and might work with the pork too).

So there it is. If anyone has any advice, lmk. I'll take pictures and update the thread sometime tomorrow.

Hey dudes, I'm going to a dinner tonight that's BYOB, and while I have a plan I could use a few more eyes on it in case I missed something. Here's the menu:

20140513_-_menu.jpg

"Snacks" is like 4-6 different small courses, but we won't know what they are until we get there. Also, since I can only drink so much with that many courses (and it's just my fiancee and me going) I'm planning on bringing ~5 beers, mostly smaller bottles, so they all have to do double-duty. Here's my thinking:

For the snacks a growler of 1500 from my kegerator and a bottle of 3F Geuze. That should be able to handle most anything in there.

For the first 3 main courses a Saison Bernice. I think the light body, acidity, and mild yeastiness/funk will work well with everything there.

For the next 2 main courses a Westy XII, so a bit over 1-year-old quad. I'm not really sure how well that'll go with the pork, but it should work great with the rabbit.

For the first two desserts a BCBS. I normally hate pairing stouts with desserts, but since those are both fruit-heavy and probably not too sweet I don't think it'll clash.

The "treats" are the same deal as the snacks, but smaller. I was thinking a Framboise for that, but I don't have any! So I grabbed a 3F Kriek, which I think will go with whatever comes up, and could also be serviceable if we get a surprise with the snacks (and might work with the pork too).

So there it is. If anyone has any advice, lmk. I'll take pictures and update the thread sometime tomorrow.

No advice, but droooool! Been wanting to go to Lazy Bear, but with the wife being a vegetarian who will eat fish (go figure!) it seems a no go.

No advice, but droooool! Been wanting to go to Lazy Bear, but with the wife being a vegetarian who will eat fish (go figure!) it seems a no go.
There's only one non-seafood dish on there, though the last time I went there were a number.

I want to eat it all. Will poach this recipe!

Right on. Saisons tend to pair well with most food and Bernice is probably the best example of this. ****ing A.
That was my thought. Saisons, especially the less-yeasty ones, pair with ****ing everything. It's pairing cheat mode. Plus B6 is one of the best beers I've had, period, so it's a great one to break out for something like this.

20140513_-_menu.jpg

I agree with your choices. I never love any drinks w/ dessert, so I might enjoy the BCBS alone after the desserts. Looks like a great meal & great night.

Latest posts

Back