Singapore / Bali liquor stores (whiskey hunting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKtheGeneral

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Singapore and Bali at the end of the month and was wondering if there are any liquor stores you know of which might have interesting whiskey for me to purchase (unavailable in the states)? I was thinking I'd probably come across Blanton's Gold but was curious if anyone had 1) any specific store recommendations or 2) anything in particular I should be on the lookout for out that way (which I may reasonably come across)?

Also wasn't sure if this would reside better on the Whiskey thread or the regional ones...

Thanks,
MK

Obviously Duty Free shops. If I remember correctly, alcohol is really expensive in Bali. My girlfriend was there a year ago and was really surprised at the 3x price on most shelf stuff due to taxes. Oddly enough, she's leaving for Singapore in a week and a half. I'll have her keep her eyes open for good places. I'll keep you posted

Obviously Duty Free shops. If I remember correctly, alcohol is really expensive in Bali. My girlfriend was there a year ago and was really surprised at the 3x price on most shelf stuff due to taxes. Oddly enough, she's leaving for Singapore in a week and a half. I'll have her keep her eyes open for good places. I'll keep you posted
Definitely appreciated! I'm not going to be in Singapore until 5/28 so any recon on her part would be great!

Liquor which you seek in Bali is extremely expensive and scarce. I spent a month over there about 5 years ago and when i wasnt working, i scoured the island and came up with nothing. Things could have changed since then, but doubtful.
Spend your time drink bintang and anuk.

Whereabouts on the island are you staying?

Liquor which you seek in Bali is extremely expensive and scarce. I spent a month over there about 5 years ago and when i wasnt working, i scoured the island and came up with nothing. Things could have changed since then, but doubtful.
Spend your time drink bintang and anuk.

Whereabouts on the island are you staying?
Staying in Seminyak and Ubud.

Staying in Seminyak and Ubud.
Loved Ubud. Extremely beautiful. If you go to the monkey forest, stay away from those evil little bastards. They act cute and cuddly, but will attack you without hesitation.
I stayed in Denpasar since it was closest to the hospital i was working at, but visited seminyak when I got homesick. Enjoy the island. It's truly amazing.

Loved Ubud. Extremely beautiful. If you go to the monkey forest, stay away from those evil little bastards. They act cute and cuddly, but will attack you without hesitation.
I stayed in Denpasar since it was closest to the hospital i was working at, but visited seminyak when I got homesick. Enjoy the island. It's truly amazing.
Ha I'm staying very close to the Monkey Forest (like in it) haha. Going to be interesting.

Thanks for the kind words, will make the most of it for sure!

Hey Michigan any word from your girlfriend re: Singapore? I visited the Duty Free shops on my way in and couldn't even find Blanton's Gold! The only more unique things I spotted were Glenlivet Champion/Champions (with a teal-ish colored label) and a few Johnnie Walker's (e.g The Spice Road, etc.)

Hey Michigan any word from your girlfriend re: Singapore? I visited the Duty Free shops on my way in and couldn't even find Blanton's Gold! The only more unique things I spotted were Glenlivet Champion/Champions (with a teal-ish colored label) and a few Johnnie Walker's (e.g The Spice Road, etc.)
Nothing yet. She's been in Thailand for the last week (fun times with the recent coup). I should probably check to see if she's still alive...

It may have been a while since you left Singapore but I thought that I ought to post for future travellers.

A top choice for a good whisky selection would be La Maison Du Whisky. http://www.whisky.sg/whiskies/
They tend to have tastings from time to time so you can check out their Facebook when you're in town.

If you're keen on laying hands on Yamazaki or Hibiki whisky from Japan, you can check out a liquor store in the basement of Liang Court which isnt too far from La Maison. Their whiskey selection is poorer but still worth checking out.

As expected from a country with a high liquor excise tax, good whiskey will be expensive, floating in the range of a few hundred dollars.

Just found this old thread. I'll throw this out there for future travellers. My wife is from Bali. We usually spend a few weeks there every other year. The last trip was 3 months split between Bali, Java, Singapore, Taiwan and Malaysia. I ended up home brewing 2 batches of a simple ginger/lemongrass wine with baker's yeast in water bottles at our room in Sanur.

As far as I know there are 2 microbreweries on the Bali now, Storm and Stark. Besides them, there are the macros like Bintang (Heineken owned), Anker, Bali Hai, Kuda Putih, etc. Panther (Bali Hai) and Anker both offer stouts. I brought back some Panther Ginseng Stout last time. Prices are usually $1-2 US for large format Bintang and $3-5 US for small format Storm. Sometimes bottles are cheaper at warungs than grocers. Hard liquor is available at places like Hardy's and Matahari, but taxes make it pricey. Expect things like Johnnie Walker. It is usually best to bring your own, but customs may hassle you if have more than 1 bottle (same goes for wine). I don't recommend the arak moonshine from the villages, often it's cut with methanol. If your looking for wine, I think there are a couple of local wineries. Hatten is the largest.

I was surprised by Langkawi, Malaysia on the last trip. It is a duty free island and most beers were $.50-2 US. The choices were things like Leffe, some strong euro macro crap (10-12% abv) and the usual Asian stuff like Tiger.

7458344728_411ab37bfb_b.jpg

Ticking Asia-Langkawi beers. That 14% Weidmann was probably the worst. The Royal stout was probably the best.

Back