Slovakia Bound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetchaPull

Reaction score
Since my wife is Slovak and I've spent considerable time in western Slovak Republic, I wanted to brain dump a bit in the event folks venture that way from eastern Czechia (no longer the "Czech Republic"), southern Poland, northern Hungary or eastern Austria. Some of my recommendations below.

Sites:
- High Tatras - amazing views of valleys in Slovakia and Poland. There's a train and cable tram to the top of a few of the highest peaks. Good skiing/snowboarding/hiking. Hotels and restaurants are more expensive up here (basically equivalent to U.S. prices, but nothing that should break the bank). Lots of small towns line the mountain range; makes for romantic get-aways. Popular tourist area, so English is spoken almost everywhere.
- Bratislava - being the capital has many international choices for hotels, restaurants and sites, but I encourage folks to venture out to other cities and towards the mountains. Lots of English is spoken, so don't worry about being stranded...just try to learn a few words and they'll appreciate the effort and reciprocate.
- Castles - many towns have historical castles. I've only been to the ones in Bratislava and Trencín, but most are from the Roman era.

Food:
- Bryndzové Halušky (national dish) - potato dumplings, sheep cheese (bryndza), sour cream, bacon chunks. Might just be the most amazing, rib-sticking thing I've ever eaten.
- Segedínsky Guláš - borrowed from the Hungarian neighbors in the south. Really delicious stuff...pork stew with cabbage, cream, and bread-like dumplings on the side
- Kapustnica - a soup similar to hot-and-sour, but loaded and a million times better. Cabbage, pork sausage, spices. Amazing on a cold day.
- Garlic Soup - another farmhouse specialty. Clean and light, not overpowering.
- Beef Tongue - an old traditional dish. Extremely tender and rich...served in myriad ways with various sides.

Drink:
- Lagers - pils and tmavé ("dark") - all are very nice if you stay away from the cheaper/mass brands. Lots of smaller breweries are trying their hand at German and American styles...not there yet, but I surmise this is due to the largely limited and unbending palates of a country that mainly want pils, much like Germans (all hail the Reinheitsgebot).
- Mead - world class - lots of variety here as well, although I haven't found any fruited stuff yet. Best unfruited mead I've ever had. Traditionally served hot, so I get a few looks when I drink it out of the fridge.

Restaurants:
- Salaš Krajinka (Krajinka) - the best bryndzové halušky I've had (sorry, MIL). Many other traditional mountain farm foods as well...can't go wrong with any. Lots of animals roaming around at this salaš (sheep farm), very kid-friendly.
- Meštiansky Pivovar (Bratislava) - outstanding pils and even better food; don't skip the fried pig fat spread, venison, beer paté...a really delicious adventure
- Remys Bistro & Pub (Trencín) - best burger I've had outside of the U.S., hands down. Owner lived in the U.K. for years and learned how to properly cook a burger (not just well-done). Everything is made from scratch, even the buns and all is made to order.

I'll add to this as I visit or think of more. Any questions, just ask.

Share your Slovakia experiences if you have any!

Cheers, Ryan

My dad's family is from southern (stara manka) and eastern (stary otec) Slovakia and we visited five years ago after my dad's retirement for the first time.

Agreed on your list of highlights, but I'd also like to add that we really liked Kosice in the eastern part of the country. Didn't spend a ton of time there, but wish we had.

I also quite enjoyed Borovicka (basically Slovak gin).

That's awesome. Haven't yet tried borovička, but sounds pretty good. I'm largely unimpressed with slivovica (plum spirit).

We haven't been out east or south since we've been together. I understand dialects are drastically different (somewhat surprisingly) for a country so small (about the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined). Košice does sound like an interesting and really nice city. Someday, hopefully soon...

Na Zdravie!

Back