Sours, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofuspeedstar

Reaction score
What gets y'all so hard for these Cantillions, Lost Abbey, Krieks, Lambics and all this ****?

Why?

It's like drinking vinegar.

Shoutouts to Jester King though (homerism at its finest) for Boxer's Revenge, Buddha's Brew, Funk Metal and Das Wunderkind

Shoutout to New Belgium for Tart Lychee.

Only sours I've ever liked.

Rest are straight garbage. If I had any cantillion I'd trade it for shelf locals. srs.

okay happy friday.

Boxer's Revenge, Buddha's Brew, Funk Metal and Das Wunderkind
images

For real, I love Texas Sours, but they don't even come close, and Das Wunderkind is way heavier on the vinegar than the balance in Belgian Lambics. I'm hit or miss on most Kriek and Framboise (prefer funky sour, not sweet tart sour), but it's not even close. Just do more research, or accept it's just a style that's not for you.

I use to feel the way you do. I remember when I first had Marron Acidifie when it was released and I thought it tasted like straight vomited bile filled cherries.

BA Stouts are my number one. Have tons and drink them year round. I've become such a snob that I don't really drink much other than great ipas and saisons to break up the stouts. Started getting into wilds and sours for an alternative. I've grown to live them. Had an 04 3F Oude Geuze tonight. Not really sour at all. Fantastic barnyard and horse blanket funk. IMO there's an old world, new world difference between American and Belgian wilds like in wine.

I thought I'd never start liking wilds and sours. You will one day.

IMO there's an old world, new world difference between American and Belgian wilds like in wine.

I'm pretty much sold on this. Only a couple breweries in my experience have developed such a "house" character as many the Belgian's have.

A great example for me, being a Washington state resident is Cab Franc. We grow a good amount of Cab Franc, and if you find a varietal pure wine in WA, it's probably from a young vine - usually carrying the obligatory strong american oak (often tannic as ****), sometimes French, but most of all, the character is often times can carry strong characteristics of a green bell pepper. French version in the loose soil of the riverbeds will carry a more mineral forward, softer French oak character. This represents the difference between a young Cab Franc vine and a vine that is 30+ years old. The product shows a difference.

I will say this: I favor american, young, aggressive Cab Franc's, so I wonder how the American versions of the lambic style will evolve and identify themselves. So far, I would argue we are generally too young to carry an identity (again, with a few exceptions).

I'm pretty much sold on this. Only a couple breweries in my experience have developed such a "house" character as many the Belgian's have.

A great example for me, being a Washington state resident is Cab Franc. We grow a good amount of Cab Franc, and if you find a varietal pure wine in WA, it's probably from a young vine - usually carrying the obligatory strong american oak (often tannic as ****), sometimes French, but most of all, the character is often times can carry strong characteristics of a green bell pepper. French version in the loose soil of the riverbeds will carry a more mineral forward, softer French oak character. This represents the difference between a young Cab Franc vine and a vine that is 30+ years old. The product shows a difference.

I will say this: I favor american, young, aggressive Cab Franc's, so I wonder how the American versions of the lambic style will evolve and identify themselves. So far, I would argue we are generally too young to carry an identity (again, with a few exceptions).

Agreed. The thing is there are much more spontaneously fermented lambics over there as opposed to here and with that there is terroir-like characteristic which is IMO the only real way you can have the most distinguishing original characteristics.

Though for me. A hanful of the RR sours have a Lemonhead/Cherry Clan characteristic that I have not had in any other American sour.

Agreed. The thing is there are much more spontaneously fermented lambics over there as opposed to here and with that there is terroir-like characteristic which is IMO the only real way you can have the most distinguishing original characteristics.

Though for me. A hanful of the RR sours have a Lemonhead/Cherry Clan characteristic that I have not had in any other American sour.
RR is one of the few.

What gets y'all so hard for these Cantillions, Lost Abbey, Krieks, Lambics and all this ****?

Why?

It's like drinking vinegar.

Shoutouts to Jester King though (homerism at its finest) for Boxer's Revenge, Buddha's Brew, Funk Metal and Das Wunderkind

Shoutout to New Belgium for Tart Lychee.

Only sours I've ever liked.

Rest are straight garbage. If I had any cantillion I'd trade it for shelf locals. srs.

okay happy friday.

null_zps8ae9d1c7.gif

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't dig sours.....last summer I got bored with beer and experimented with sours and wild ales......I can say I can appreciate the complexity in a sour, but they taste like wine to me...and I'm not a fan of wine..

Back