Southwest fare sale - where do I go for a beer trip? Multiple US regions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brees6221

Reaction score
I can get a round-trip ticket from Baltimore for $98 to one of the locations listed below...where do I go and when?

Restrictions:

1 - Must purchase ticket by end of day today, June 4, 2015

2 - Must travel between August 25 through December 16, 2015

3 - Blackout dates apply: September 3-5, September 7, November 20 through December 1. Travel not valid on Fridays and Sundays.

Destination options:

Albany, NY
Boston, MA
Buffalo, NY
Charlotte, NC
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Dayton, OH
Detroit, MI
Greenville, SC
Hartford, CT
Long Island, NY
Louisville, KY
Manchester, NH
Norfolk, VA
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Raleigh, NC
Rochester, NY

Considerations (in no particular order):

1 - Nearby breweries to visit
2 - Beer release events
3 - Bottle sharing and couch surfing options with TB brothers/sisters
4 - Brewery sales distribution
5 - In-person trades
6 - Southwest allows two 50 pound bags checked for free
7 - Nearby restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
8 - Quality strip clubs

sliverx
DonFrap
Beerontwowheels
lambandtunaphish
neorunner
TomTwanks
Dino
tehzachatak
davey101
JulianB
ncaudle

Last edited:
I can get a round-trip ticket from Baltimore for $98 to one of the locations listed below...where do I go and when?

Restrictions:

3 - Blackout dates apply: September 3-5, September 7, November 20 through December 1. Travel not valid on Fridays and Sundays.

Destination options:

Albany, NY
Boston, MA
Buffalo, NY
Charlotte, NC
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Dayton, OH
Detroit, MI
Greenville, SC
Hartford, CT
Long Island, NY
Louisville, KY
Manchester, NH
Norfolk, VA
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Raleigh, NC
Rochester, NY

2 - Beer release events
5 - In-person trades
8 - Quality strip clubs

sliverx
DonFrap
Beerontwowheels
lambandtunaphish
neorunner
TomTwanks
Dino
tehzachatak
davey101
JulianB
ncaudle

I vote Boston. Hit Trillium and then crash bum732's place.

Thanks for inviting me, dick.

Would you be renting a car?

Gut instinct for me would be Boston or Detroit, the latter especially if you like mead. The Raleigh area has lots of good stuff but is very big. Greenville is pretty good but wouldn't be my first choice among that list, although it's only an hour or so from Asheville. Many of the cities on that list I have no experience with.

You gonna have a car? That will narrow down your list.

Louisville info:
Breweries/restaurants/bars/events:
  • Against the Grain (brewery and restaurant)
  • Holy Grale (bar and restaurant, Bonus: Zwanze Day location)
  • Sergio's World Beers (bar and restaurant)
  • Apocalypse Brew Works (brewery)
  • Country Boy Brewing (brewery, 1 hr drive)
  • West Sixth Brewing (brewery, 1 hr drive)
  • Upland Brewing Co. (brewery, 2 hr drive)
  • Bourbon, bourbon, bourbon everywhere.
  • Kentucky Bourbon Festival Sept 15 - 20 (1 hr drive)
  • Louisville Craft Beer Week - Mid Sept
If Zwanze Day follows the trend (if two years can be called a trend) of a mid September date I would try to guess which weekend it would be on and then plan on doing Craft Beer Week and Bourbon Festival things if that falls through.

Also my couch is available.​

Last edited:
If you were to do Boston, you're about 100minutes from Portland, Maine if you rent a car. Plenty of breweries there to make it worth a day trip on a Friday/Saturday when they're all open. Manchester, NH is closer if you wanted to go to Maine, but probably not as good of a home base as Boston. So that's something to keep in mind in addition to all that Boston might have to offer. Tree House is about an hour in the opposite direction if you wanted to score some cans (no full pours, just tiny samples, growlers and cans).

Can't really recommend flying into CT. You'd need a car to do anything, breweries are pretty spread out around the state (any plenty aren't worth visiting). OEC would be a must hit, but they're only open Saturdays for the most part.

I was just in Raleigh and had a pretty good time. Lots of breweries in that whole area that are pretty cool places to hang out. Priceline'd a car for ~$21/day from the airport there.

Restrictions:

Destination options:

Albany, NY
Boston, MA
Buffalo, NY
Charlotte, NC
Cleveland, OH
Columbus, OH
Dayton, OH
Detroit, MI
Greenville, SC
Hartford, CT
Long Island, NY
Louisville, KY
Manchester, NH
Norfolk, VA
Pittsburgh, PA
Providence, RI
Raleigh, NC
Rochester, NY

2 - Beer release events
5 - In-person trades
8 - Quality strip clubs

sliverx
DonFrap
Beerontwowheels
lambandtunaphish
neorunner
TomTwanks
Dino
tehzachatak
davey101
JulianB
ncaudle
yeah come to Boston. If you have a car I should have my new place outside of Boston you can crash at if you'd like.
Also if you plan it around our bang date you could probably be an honorary banger (like I did with ohio last year)
DO IT

Anyone else having Dark Lord ticket purchasing flashbacks?

homer-bird-o.gif

I say Raleigh just because most of those other locations are pretty close within driving distance. You can take the Acela from Baltimore to Boston in like 4 hours anytime.

yeah come to Boston. If you have a car I should have my new place outside of Boston you can crash at if you'd like.
Also if you plan it around our bang date you could probably be an honorary banger (like I did with ohio last year)
DO IT

When's the bang date?

Another option is to invite the wife and get a hotel, pass it off as a getaway weekend and go see the Orioles play the Red Sox the weekend of 9/25-9/27. The only upside to this is I come off as a great husband instead of looking like a dick for leaving her and the kids at home while I drink.

When's the bang date?

Another option is to invite the wife and get a hotel, pass it off as a getaway weekend and go see the Orioles play the Red Sox the weekend of 9/25-9/27. The only upside to this is I come off as a great husband instead of looking like a dick for leaving her and the kids at home while I drink.
True true. Might be the better play. We are banging sep 5 or sep 19 I think.

When's the bang date?

You'd still look like a dick for teasing me along.

Das it mane. If you can sneak out for the night I'm sure we can do a lil Team Boston welcome to town! Sorry I didn't respond until now, tags seem to be messed up, didn't get notification (Gene)

Back