STAR WARS... like, all of it

Help Support Talkbeer:

dan

More like JJ shouldn’t have been brought in for the third.
You’re not wrong but the blame falls on Disney with ep 9. The leaked details about Trevorrow’s script at least sounded interesting but clearly Disney got spooked and instead decided PE 9 should completely retcon the preceding movie. With that instruction, I don’t know if anyone could have made something decent.

WhalezB4Rarez

One of the few still only on here
You’re not wrong but the blame falls on Disney with ep 9. The leaked details about Trevorrow’s script at least sounded interesting but clearly Disney got spooked and instead decided PE 9 should completely retcon the preceding movie. With that instruction, I don’t know if anyone could have made something decent.
it would be weird though that KK had all the confidence to tell Rian to make an new trilogy (which who knows when/if that is going to happen) and then for her/Disney to either tell Colin to retcon Last Jedi or else and for JJ to obey and do just that.

dan

Never mind don’t expect any Star Wars movies anytime soon

First time that I’ve seen it confirmed that Johnson isn’t moving forward with his trilogy. I assumed it was just in development hell which may functionally be the same as a project getting shelved. I still thought there was a chance.

WhalezB4Rarez

First time that I’ve seen it confirmed that Johnson isn’t moving forward with his trilogy. I assumed it was just in development hell which may functionally be the same as a project getting shelved. I still thought there was a chance.
Same. I thought it was a “got busy making Knives movies and COVID delays” or something.

Reactions: dan

dan

(Link to media)

reading the first pages of this thread is a delight
No kidding.

Yeah pretty fucking jazzed for this. Nothing is ever going to compare to the OT, but I have faith in Abrams to at least make a better movie than any of the prequels (seriously low bar to clear here). That being said, I would've geeked out to the Nth degree had they gotten Whedon instead of Abrams.

WhalezB4Rarez

I’ll take the prequels over any of the new steaming hot piles of shit that didn’t understand the point of the original characters. Should’ve went with Zahn.
Hell yeah some shit to talk about

My biggest peeve(?) about the sequels is how no one seems to agree on how the characters should have been handled post-RotJ

look at Luke at the end of RotJ. He doesn’t give in to his hate and he throws his saber down.

In TLJ he throws the saber away when it’s handed to him. That’s how he should be. At the end of RotJ he takes the advice of Obi Wan and Yoda. (There are alternatives to fighting/War not make one great)

then RotS takes that all away

then he shows up at the end of The Mandalorian and mows down droids like he was Darth Vader in Rogue One. Totally out of character from the guy at the end of RotJ.

dan

Hell yeah some shit to talk about

My biggest peeve(?) about the sequels is how no one seems to agree on how the characters should have been handled post-RotJ

look at Luke at the end of RotJ. He doesn’t give in to his hate and he throws his saber down.

In TLJ he throws the saber away when it’s handed to him. That’s how he should be. At the end of RotJ he takes the advice of Obi Wan and Yoda. (There are alternatives to fighting/War not make one great)

then RotS takes that all away

then he shows up at the end of The Mandalorian and mows down droids like he was Darth Vader in Rogue One. Totally out of character from the guy at the end of RotJ.
To say nothing about his bullshit with Grogu in Book of Boba Fett. It was his appeal to his father’s emotion that allowed Anakin to overcome Palpatine’s hold over him and toss him down the power core. And then there he is suggesting that a Jedi must remove all emotional attachments from his life a few years later? We al know how that worked out!

I think Force Awakens is fine. It’s derivative and doesn’t really have anything to show for it (meaning if you’re going to remake ANH, at least do it for a reason). TLJ is easily in my top 3 if only because it was interesting and different. Sure, Luke is a miserable failure when we see him but he 100% redeems himself at the end and delivers that heroic moment we all wanted. It’s easily Hamill’s best performance and that he pulls off his arc within the one movie and with relatively little screen time is a very neat trick on Johnson’s part.

ROS is incoherent garbage and will likely be the only SW movie I refuse to watch for a second time.

I will never understand why no one thought to just map out the story across 7-9. Have different directors and screenwriters if you want (though… why?) but at least have some broad strokes in place.

Oh well.

WhalezB4Rarez

To say nothing about his bullshit with Grogu in Book of Boba Fett. It was his appeal to his father’s emotion that allowed Anakin to overcome Palpatine’s hold over him and toss him down the power core. And then there he is suggesting that a Jedi must remove all emotional attachments from his life a few years later? We al know how that worked out!

I think Force Awakens is fine. It’s derivative and doesn’t really have anything to show for it (meaning if you’re going to remake ANH, at least do it for a reason). TLJ is easily in my top 3 if only because it was interesting and different. Sure, Luke is a miserable failure when we see him but he 100% redeems himself at the end and delivers that heroic moment we all wanted. It’s easily Hamill’s best performance and that he pulls off his arc within the one movie and with relatively little screen time is a very neat trick on Johnson’s part.

ROS is incoherent garbage and will likely be the only SW movie I refuse to watch for a second time.

I will never understand why no one thought to just map out the story across 7-9. Have different directors and screenwriters if you want (though… why?) but at least have some broad strokes in place.

Oh well.
Rian was writing VIII while VII was still being shot so he was at least writing as a complement-to and not a reaction-to The Force Awakens. Same for IX and we would have had a different and better movie if JJ hadn’t been involved with it.

dan

So I gotta ask...do you follow the water district on twitter?
I didn't until this morning!

A friend of mine follows them on facebook and she sent me a screenshot this morning. I figured they were on other social media channels and linked to the Tweet (because driving traffic to Twitter is so much better than to Facebook).

WhalezB4Rarez

I didn't until this morning!

A friend of mine follows them on facebook and she sent me a screenshot this morning. I figured they were on other social media channels and linked to the Tweet (because driving traffic to Twitter is so much better than to Facebook).
well it was before Musk bought it. But lesser of two dipshits I guess.

Reactions: dan

Latest posts