Stink bug smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgum

Reaction score
Hi

since I'm a craft beer enthusiast (+/- 5 years now) i've experienced several times a "stink bug" smell when drinking bottled beers.
It happens after I pour a beer in a glass, I use tulip glasses. the stink stays unless I pour the beer again in another glass. then the smell disappears.
it happens quite often, especially with some particular beer types : heavily dry-hopped IPAs, fruit IPAs, lacto-based sours, tart farmhouses...

at first I thought it came from my drinking glasses washing and drying process, I thought at some point some bad smell would develop because of the water, the dish soap I use or whatever. but it also happens at my gf's place where the washing & drying are totally different : I do it manually, she uses a dishwasher.

now I got paranoid and I always re-wash my glasses before pouring a beer. it seems to limit the times this smell develops but it still happens.

strange facts :
- it doesn't seem to happen with standard drinking glasses.
- after re-pouring the beer in a 2nd glass not only the smell disappears but the beer's aromas are developed. maybe re-pouring does the same kind of process as aerating wine.
- I seem to be more sensitive to this smell than others.

anyone experienced this ? because this is quite strange

NervousDefiantBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

Stink bugs give off a cilantro kind of smell whenever I kill one. They're pretty common in Seattle now and seem to love my old brick house.

Anyway, are you using a clean towel to dry your glassware? I dunno, maybe you have a weird sense of smell.

Hi

since I'm a craft beer enthusiast (+/- 5 years now) i've experienced several times a "stink bug" smell when drinking bottled beers.
It happens after I pour a beer in a glass, I use tulip glasses. the stink stays unless I pour the beer again in another glass. then the smell disappears.
it happens quite often, especially with some particular beer types : heavily dry-hopped IPAs, fruit IPAs, lacto-based sours, tart farmhouses...

at first I thought it came from my drinking glasses washing and drying process, I thought at some point some bad smell would develop because of the water, the dish soap I use or whatever. but it also happens at my gf's place where the washing & drying are totally different : I do it manually, she uses a dishwasher.

now I got paranoid and I always re-wash my glasses before pouring a beer. it seems to limit the times this smell develops but it still happens.

strange facts :
- after re-pouring the beer in a 2nd glass not only the smell disappears but the beer's aromas are developed. maybe re-pouring does the same kind of process as aerating wine.

inrat

Stink bugs give off a cilantro kind of smell whenever I kill one.
yep thats the kind of smell. and I hate cilantro, in an archnemesis way.

ok, all the jokes about hygiene are funny, except I also thought about this and nope... doesn't come from how I clean or dry my glassware. I suspected something about the dish soap or towel vs air drying. but nope.

ok, all the jokes about hygiene are funny, except I also thought about this and nope... doesn't come from how I clean or dry my glassware. I suspected something about the dish soap or towel vs air drying. but nope.

Yep. You’ve got a weird sense of smell, you’ve got the genetic makeup that dislikes cilantro.

It’s a real thing. You’re ****ed. Might as well give up drinking.

What about the sponge? It very likely could've been used to wash the underside of a toilet bowl or scrubbed the walls of a bathtub.

What about the sponge? It very likely could've been used to wash the underside of a toilet bowl or scrubbed the walls of a bathtub.

clean sponge. anyway it happens too with glasses cleaned in the dishwasher

Hi

strange facts :

I wonder if it has something to do with the CO^2 that's emitted when the beer is poured? (which would be moreso on the first pour )

You ever encounter this smell this smell in a brewery? (kinda near the fermenters)

That would also make sense with the aroma going away over time (because the CO^2 bubbles out of the beer and makes it flat eventually).

Hi

strange facts :

have you ever thought about ranking beers by donations??

I wonder if it has something to do with the CO^2 that's emitted when the beer is poured? (which would be moreso on the first pour )

You ever encounter this smell this smell in a brewery? (kinda near the fermenters)

That would also make sense with the aroma going away over time (because the CO^2 bubbles out of the beer and makes it flat eventually).
no, only happens with bottled beer. and it never happened with other kinds of beer.

the strangest thing is that the smell stays in the first glass if I pour it in a 2nd one, and the 2nd one is ok (with glasses from the same cleaning batch). like if this smell only develops after pouring a beer in particular conditions (temperature, time after opening, shape of the glass, etc).

anyway now I have my "how to" to get rid of this smell if it happens. but I wondered if there was an explanation behind this.

thanks to this discussion I now also know everything about my defective OR6A2 gene and aldehydes ;)

no, only happens with bottled beer. and it never happened with other kinds of beer.

the strangest thing is that the smell stays in the first glass if I pour it in a 2nd one, and the 2nd one is ok (with glasses from the same cleaning batch). like if this smell only develops after pouring a beer in particular conditions (temperature, time after opening, shape of the glass, etc).

anyway now I have my "how to" to get rid of this smell if it happens. but I wondered if there was an explanation behind this.

thanks to this discussion I now also know everything about my defective OR6A2 gene and aldehydes ;)
Nerd

Just switch to vodka and call it a day.

Stink bug males aren't the most romantic blokes. A courting stink bug male will touch the female with his antennae, working his way to her nether end. Sometimes, he'll head butt her a little to get her attention. If she's willing, she'll lift her hind end a bit to show her interest. If she isn't receptive to his overture, the male may use his head to push her bum up, but he risks being kicked in the head if she really doesn't like him. Stink bug mating occurs in an end-to-end position, and can last for hours.

During this time, the female often drags the male around behind her as she continues to feed.

Stink bug males aren't the most romantic blokes. A courting stink bug male will touch the female with his antennae, working his way to her nether end. Sometimes, he'll head butt her a little to get her attention. If she's willing, she'll lift her hind end a bit to show her interest. If she isn't receptive to his overture, the male may use his head to push her bum up, but he risks being kicked in the head if she really doesn't like him. Stink bug mating occurs in an end-to-end position, and can last for hours.

During this time, the female often drags the male around behind her as she continues to feed.

Let’s make this man a mod already.

Vaguely familiar

Stink bug males aren't the most romantic blokes. A courting stink bug male will touch the female with his antennae, working his way to her nether end. Sometimes, he'll head butt her a little to get her attention. If she's willing, she'll lift her hind end a bit to show her interest. If she isn't receptive to his overture, the male may use his head to push her bum up, but he risks being kicked in the head if she really doesn't like him. Stink bug mating occurs in an end-to-end position, and can last for hours seconds.

Yup, sounds familiar.

Back