Sydney & Melbourne next month - where and what to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolino

Reaction score
Hi there! Will be spending ~a week between those two places and was wondered what and where to drink? I am partial to local beer and brewpubs/taprooms. Would prefer rather central locations as I will be with my girlfriend and don´t want to get extra-annoying with my beery endeavors.

These are the breweries I think I should be looking out for:
La Sirene
Modus Operandi
Feral
Stone & Wood
4 pines
Garage Project (I know it´s from NZ but I would love to have something from them!)
8 wired & Emersons (same as above)

Places in Sydney:
The Local Taphouse
Bitter Phew
4 Pines (hate it is macro, but still)
Batch Brewing
Royal Albert Hotel

Places in Melbourne:
The Local Taphouse
The Alehouse Project
Moondog
Stomping Ground

Am I missing any of the must haves??

Thanks in advance!

Modus is pretty variable. Their original brewer left and things have been pretty hit and miss (and even more expensive) since.

Batch beers are even more variable and mediocre. Nice venue to drink at, if you can get in as weekend lines can be pretty long, but beers are underwhelming. Wildflower is close by, limited hours/days, but if it works in with your schedule, would be far better. If you can't make it to Wildflower, pick their beers up at Oak Barrel bottleshop, walking distance from the Royal Albert. Only thing to note is Oak Barrel are closed Sunday's.

Moondog are very experimental, think Dogfish Head but without any good regular beers. Boatrocker might be more reliable to drink it you see them in shops (their taproom is a journey).

Melbourne venues are generally pretty close together, Beermash, Slowbeer etc.

Rest looks alright, 4 Pines is a nice ferry ride, not sure on their beers. Enjoy the trip and if you want to catch up for a beer or a trade in Sydney, let me know

Hey, thanks for the reply. Great tips on Modus and Batch. Have hear great things about Wildflower but I am not that big on sours and wild beers, but maybe I´ll take a look. It would be great to catch up, but I will be dragging my gf along, so will let you know if I can get her to give me some time...

Cheers!

Back