Syrup for Berliners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Os

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried making one? If so, any tips?

Florida Weisse is the way to go. No need for syrup as all the fruit needed is already there.

9Hh3TWi.jpg

r2TEUz5.jpg

My buddy brought a growler of Golden Road's berliner and some store-bought raspberry syrup to a tasting and that worked pretty well. I could find out the brand if you want.

Os - the March/April issue of Zymurgy (AHA magazine) has recipes for three syrups. Rasberry, Woodruff, and Lemon. I can scan in the pages tomorrow, as I cannot seem to be able to print it from online, adn you need to log in to view the archives.

Bill

Os - the March/April issue of Zymurgy (AHA magazine) has recipes for three syrups. Rasberry, Woodruff, and Lemon. I can scan in the pages tomorrow, as I cannot seem to be able to print it from online, adn you need to log in to view the archives.

Bill

I cant wait to see a legit recipe from a reputable source. I too would appreciate seeing this.

i have several patches of sweet woodruff growing in my yard that i use to make syrup for my homebrew berliner. its kinda funny seeing myself type this because i hate the idea of adding syrups to berliners. However, i always make it available as an option for my guests because many like it that way

the woodruff has started growing again as of about 2 weeks ago. my entire yard smells like vanilla because of it. i am tempted to cut some back and start making syrup before the leaves get darker. the last batch of syrup i made last year was with the darker leaves and it was really tannic/astringent. then again, i used a metric ****ton of leaves before it died off for the year so that might have been the problem too

my recipe is crude. pretty much just based off of trial and error. once you post that recipe ill chime back in

Couldn't wait, so I just copied them down. Here they are, along with a note possibly regarding the tannic/astringent aspect of your syrup Stakem.

Waldmeistersirup (Woodruff Syrup)
Ingredients
2 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 generous cup fresh woodruf sprigs/flowers

In a small saucepan mix water and sugar over median heat until all sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and woodruff. Bruise the woodruff gently by pressing against the pan with a spoon. Return to burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and chill for 24 hours. Then strain into storage/serving container.

* note woodruff can be potential hazardous if ingested at high levels due to the toxicity of coumarin, the organic chemical compound that gives woodruff its sweet smell. Drugs.com recommends 3 to 3.5 grams of fresh woodruff per liter of liquid beverage, and should be avoided altogether if pregnant or lactating. Large amounts will also lend the syrup an unpleasant medicinal flavor.

Himbeersiru (Raspberry Syrup)
Ingredients
1.5 cups water
1.5 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups fresh raspberries

In a small saucepan mix raspberries and 2 tablespoons sugar over median heat. Stir until berries begin to break and release juices (about 4 minutes). Add water, lemon juice, and 1.5 cups sugar. Return to burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and chill for 24 hours. Then strain into storage/serving container.

Zitronensirup (Lemon Syrup)
Ingredients
1.5 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice plus zest of 4/6 lemons

In a small saucepan mix water, cream of tartar, and sugar over median heat. Stir until sugar dissolves completely. remove from heat and add lemon juice and zest. Return to burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and chill for 24 hours. Then strain into storage/serving container.

Haven't tried any of these myself, but seem simple enough.

Bill

that's really helpful, Bill... I was thinking along those lines...

I will report my results next weekend.

Thanks,

Os

I would be curious to see a side by side with a randalled berliner.

as in randalled with woodruff leaves? or with fruit?
woodruff probably wouldnt do much unless you made some sort of puree with the leaves and "randalled" it for an extended amount of time

it was my intention to make this listed woodruff recipe last night

however, i think its too early for the woodruff i have growing. while it smells good in the general vacinity of the bulk of the plants, when i tear a few leaves off and crush them up it smells a bit too grassy and not what im use to. perhaps ill wait until some of the shoots start to show signs of flowering, then i will try again

Couldn't wait, so I just copied them down. Here they are, along with a note possibly regarding the tannic/astringent aspect of your syrup Stakem.

Waldmeistersirup (Woodruff Syrup)
Ingredients
2 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 generous cup fresh woodruf sprigs/flowers

In a small saucepan mix water and sugar over median heat until all sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and woodruff. Bruise the woodruff gently by pressing against the pan with a spoon. Return to burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and chill for 24 hours. Then strain into storage/serving container.

* note woodruff can be potential hazardous if ingested at high levels due to the toxicity of coumarin, the organic chemical compound that gives woodruff its sweet smell. Drugs.com recommends 3 to 3.5 grams of fresh woodruff per liter of liquid beverage, and should be avoided altogether if pregnant or lactating. Large amounts will also lend the syrup an unpleasant medicinal flavor.

So it took 6 days from my previous post of the woodruff being too young to now starting to bud and flower. I made this recipe last night and took a couple pics. One prior to cutting and then at the end of the boil. I think I like where this is going. It has seemingly extracted more aroma than my previous attempts with just cold steeping. I'll snag another picture tonight after straining and bottling it.

DB61444A-BD73-4722-98EE-BE420935A3DC-15116-00000A02356270EA.jpg

950A5563-6D78-4BC3-AE7B-C45EB21C1264-15116-00000A023FCE3AA5.jpg

As the recipe stated, i really mashed the leaves to bruise them but it seems the act of simmering for 15 mins did a much better job. It will be interesting to see if after chilling for 24 hours if any hints of green are imparted or if i will need to augment it with coloring.

Follow-up as promised with pics for proof.

Straining and pressing the goodness out of the leaves.
32D09865-B3F0-40DA-B0FD-A1C9FC418A3F-15954-00000AAAB2C0E7FA.jpg

Floaties that were caught in smaller strainer.
81F1DD45-C5CA-434E-A9BD-86A165F25EA8-15954-00000AAAB883B198.jpg

After being run through cheese cloth to remove even finer particulate. About 500ml yield.
CA571880-89E1-43AD-B7E1-9C028A2F0543-15954-00000AAAC4898618.jpg

Bro, your woodruff isnt even green. Welp, now it is.
80BFF1F5-99A6-415D-A6D0-11772174CC80-15954-00000AAACC92CCFB.jpg

Overall, I wish woodruff actually imparted green color as we have come to expect it to. Before running it through cheesecloth it has a very mild yellowish to green hint but that might only be due to the fine particulate that isnt strained out.

The nose is significantly better using this boil method than my cold steeping experiments of the past. The aroma is vanilla heavy with hints of grass and mild woodiness. The flavor is pretty much the same without the astringency ive experienced before from using too much.

Great recipe, will use again but next time im throwing the woodruff into a food processor prior to boiling instead of bruising it in the pot.

Back