TalkTiki - The Next Evolution in My Alcoholism

Help Support Talkbeer:

So beer is great, sure, but have you tried TIKI?

I am not especially well-versed in this increasingly trendy world of sweet, strong, delicious cocktails. But I like 'em, and I'm learning more and more about them. So please post your tiki beverage pics here, your recipe for a bangin' mai tai, brag about your glassware collection (TIKI ONLY!), post links to sales on flowered shirts, et al.

I'll start.

I had this mai tai last weekend at Little Buddy's Hideaway in Asbury Park, NJ. It was pretty ok, then it was super super boozy and not so good. So, it might not have been so rough if it were mixed better. But the vessel in which it was served was definitely very cool. The bar itself is probably ok when it isn't late on a Friday or Saturday night. But at those times it is more like a very small club. Though I think if you're single and/or looking to mingle, it might be a good place to get your tiki on and meet someone.

Attachments

Favorite Tiki Drink
Scott's Nautilus

1 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz agave nectar (4 pumps)
3 oz POG juice
1 oz Stirrings Peach
2 oz Kraken Black Spiced rum
2 oz Barbancourt Pango Rhum
5 dashes bitters
1 splash of RunHaven Coconut

Based on
Nautilus

1 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz falernum syrup (4 pumps)
3 oz POG juice
1 oz Combier Creme de Peche
2 oz Appleton Estate Reserve rum
5 dashes bitters

Favorite Tiki Drink
Scott's Nautilus

1 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
3 oz POG juice
1 oz Stirrings Peach
2 oz Kraken Black Spiced rum
5 dashes bitters
1 splash of RunHaven Coconut

Based on
Nautilus

1 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz falernum syrup (4 pumps)
3 oz POG juice
1 oz Combier Creme de Peche
2 oz Appleton Estate Reserve rum
5 dashes bitters
Scott...

I love you.

Yesssss very excited for this thread. My liquor cabinet is getting a little out of hand lately with all the tiki drinks I’ve been trying to make and the numerous ingredients required. Got some Havana Club 3 year in Mexico last week so I plan on making Daquiris tonight. Also grabbed a bottle of Yellow Chartreuse on sale recently that I’m going to play around with. I’ll post some pics later.

My gf got some very nice passion fruit syrup for her birthday, so I made a simple, traditional hurricane the other night. IIRC it was just

2oz Appleton Estate Reserve Rum
3/4oz fresh lemon juice
3/4oz passion fruit syrup

It was a tasty beverage, though I would definitely make it a double in the future. I’m gonna build my recipe outward from there, so any suggestions are welcome.

There's a lot of chat about this in the mixed drink thread, but as it's a growing trend again it deserves it's own.

I cut my teeth on tiki life at Bali Hai in San Diego in '04. Lot of ''legit" places still around from the 50's and a lot of new places.

In Houston you should go to Lei Low, my haunt. And Kanaloa just opened in downtown Houston which has great drinks but a more club vibe. I hope when they remodel the second floor it's more laid back.

Buffett isn't tiki, it's boat drinks. Not the same.

Wife and I have a rule where we don't buy mugs unless we've been to the place. This is the Beer Geek rule be ause we have way too much glassware.

I'm in Denver now and on Thursday going to Hidden Idol and Adrift.

Tyrsis can give you the details on everything in San Diego. A lot going on there.

A great book to start is this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747324/?tag=talkbeer-20

There's a lot of chat about this in the mixed drink thread, but as it's a growing trend again it deserves it's own.

I cut my teeth on tiki life at Bali Hai in San Diego in '04. Lot of ''legit" places still around from the 50's and a lot of new places.

In Houston you should go to Lei Low, my haunt. And Kanaloa just opened in downtown Houston which has great drinks but a more club vibe. I hope when they remodel the second floor it's more laid back.

Buffett isn't tiki, it's boat drinks. Not the same.

Wife and I have a rule where we don't buy mugs unless we've been to the place. This is the Beer Geek rule be ause we have way too much glassware.

I'm in Denver now and on Thursday going to Hidden Idol and Adrift.

Tyrsis can give you the details on everything in San Diego. A lot going on there.

A great book to start is this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607747324/?tag=talkbeer-20
Adrift is Christmas themed right now. I was there on Thursday.

Drinks we’re still on point.

And they have rum ham on the menu.

Rum, as a spirit, is incredibly complicated. Age statements, as a whole, are comolcompl meaningless unless you know the country of origin and know their labeling rules. It could be the oldest spirit, or the youngest (of no minimum volume). A lot of rums are back sweetened and pumped full of crap for color/flavor.

I am not an expert at all. So I read:
https://inuakena.com/misc/pulling-back-the-curtain-on-fake-rum/

The other thing is the evaopration rate near the equator. It's 8-9% per year. Which makes it impossible for long aged rums. There'd be nothing left. A lot of rum is sold in bulk and brought to high lats in northern hemisphere for longer aging.

Then there is cane juice vs molasses and pot still vs column still. Do they have a muck tank?

To know tiki is to know rum. Thankfully, compared to scotch or Bourbon, rum is still cheap...but that is changing.

So it's a lot of fun.

Went to Adrift last night. Good as always and the holiday menu had a few good drinks in it. Good for Goodness Sake was delicious. Their Mai Tai is the Trader Vic version. Place was decked out in Christmas stuff and I always get a kick out of large totems wearing Santa hats.

Asrift is "high end" tiki, lot of money dumped into that place.

Next we went to Hidden Idol which is 4 miles away. This is Tiki Dive. Small, well done, and the bartender has a thing for mid century modern and loves I Dream of Geanie. Which was playing on one of the TVs.

Drinks were a bit different. I didn't care for the Mai Tai, which is my benchmark. However, the other drinks were great. The one thing in was told is HI is going to relocate this spring to a larger venue at which time they will have logo swag/mugs. But the tone will be darker than it is now .

Anyway, 2 great places to visit if in Denver.

Attachments

Went to Adrift last night. Good as always and the holiday menu had a few good drinks in it. Good for Goodness Sake was delicious. Their Mai Tai is the Trader Vic version. Place was decked out in Christmas stuff and I always get a kick out of large totems wearing Santa hats.

Asrift is "high end" tiki, lot of money dumped into that place.

Next we went to Hidden Idol which is 4 miles away. This is Tiki Dive. Small, well done, and the bartender has a thing for mid century modern and loves I Dream of Geanie. Which was playing on one of the TVs.

Drinks were a bit different. I didn't care for the Mai Tai, which is my benchmark. However, the other drinks were great. The one thing in was told is HI is going to relocate this spring to a larger venue at which time they will have logo swag/mugs. But the tone will be darker than it is now .

Anyway, 2 great places to visit if in Denver.
We did Adrift during our trip to Denver for Shelton Bros. and between the group of us drank an outrageous amount of alcohol. But yeah, everything was outstanding. Even those little Spam musubi things were killer. But between the group, the drinks, the setting, and the weather that day/night, it was kind of a perfect experience.

My gf and I went to Hidden Idol like a day or 2 after (it was all a blur) on what was definitely a much quieter night. We didn't have a ton of time there, so only had one drink each. I agree with your assessment though, and would definitely want to stop in there again to try more of the menu, especially once they move.

But Adrift was one of the top drinking experiences of my life, and would kill to have a place like that local to me.

We did Adrift during our trip to Denver for Shelton Bros. and between the group of us drank an outrageous amount of alcohol. But yeah, everything was outstanding. Even those little Spam musubi things were killer. But between the group, the drinks, the setting, and the weather that day/night, it was kind of a perfect experience.

My gf and I went to Hidden Idol like a day or 2 after (it was all a blur) on what was definitely a much quieter night. We didn't have a ton of time there, so only had one drink each. I agree with your assessment though, and would definitely want to stop in there again to try more of the menu, especially once they move.

But Adrift was one of the top drinking experiences of my life, and would kill to have a place like that local to me.
When we visit cities we usually look for tiki bars. In Houston we hit up LeiLow a few times a month, it's like a bigger Hidden Idol, not as fancy as Adrift and no kitchen.

Latest posts