The Alchemist Cannery No Longer Open to Public Nov. 15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnicknj

Reaction score
http://www.alchemistbeer.com/a-difficult-decision/

From the very first canning run of Heady Topper we have experienced a level of support and growth that none of us could have predicted. We had hoped our location at 35 Crossroad would be capable of handling the traffic, however with growth comes growing pains. In an effort to stay ahead of the curve we have made the difficult decision to closeour retail shop and self-guided tour area. Effective November 15 the cannery will no longer be open to the public.

The good news is this will not affect our production levels. We will continue to distribute to all our current accounts but we are not adding any new accounts at this time. Alchemist and Heady Topper merchandise is available at our online store that we will be enhanced in time for the holidays.

Thanks for your continued support and patience with us during this transition. The support of our local community and the beer community as a whole has been both overwhelming and inspiring. As soon as we have further information, we will share it with you so please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks and cheers,

The Alchemist Family

-------------

Last edited by a moderator:
i had no problems at the brewery in june when i went, stopped in on mon,tues, and thurs after hill farm release, never more then a few people in line

this really sux for people trying to acquire for others

Probably for the best for everyone, it was starting to sound like getting Heady was a real PITA. I think going through normal retail channels will actually be better.

I don't. People are going to drive up and do the same thing, except now they're going to drive around from store to store asking if they have any beer. EDIT: Well, I guess the limits are going to naturally then be a lot lower, so maybe you're right.

Definitely better for The Alchemist though, and I don't blame them.

Probably for the best for everyone, it was starting to sound like getting Heady was a real PITA. I think going through normal retail channels will actually be better.

Maybe but the people from out of the area who would go up to purchase cases are going to be super bummed out. I know I am, and I've never even been there.

Maybe but the people from out of the area who would go up to purchase cases are going to be super bummed out. I know I am, and I've never even been there.
This. I was planning on stopping by for the first time in December when I go up to Vermont for my annual snowboarding trip with a few friends; I feel like it's going to be difficult to grab a decent amount of Heady now, considering I'm not going to have the time to drive from store to store to see if it's in stock.

Wouldn't they make more money selling the beer directly instead of sending it to retail shops?

This is the part I don't get. Local brewpubs make the majority of their margin on selling their own beer. I would assume that is slightly lower for canned vs. draft, but I can't see how cutting out the middle man would actually be a good move?

Wouldn't they make more money selling the beer directly instead of sending it to retail shops?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what their pricing structure is. But, in general, you're right. However, if they don't have to staff a retail room they may make more money. It depends a lot on the specifics.
EDIT: Well, I guess the limits are going to naturally then be a lot lower, so maybe you're right.
That's what I was thinking. The people walking out with two cases are going to be bummed, but it should get a lot easier to find a sixer around. Personally, I think making life harder on the super hardcore in order to make it easier for the normal guy is reasonable and desirable.

well it at least it seems the trade value will go down, or probably will go up since its much harder to get

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what their pricing structure is. But, in general, you're right. However, if they don't have to staff a retail room they may make more money. It depends a lot on the specifics.

That's what I was thinking. The people walking out with two cases are going to be bummed, but it should get a lot easier to find a sixer around. Personally, I think making life harder on the super hardcore in order to make it easier for the normal guy is reasonable and desirable.

Yeah, I totally agree. And traffic to the cannery only increases if they cut limits there, I guess.

well it at least it seems the trade value will go down, or probably will go up since its much harder to get

wat

wat[/quote]

am actually thinking people that have had it before, will not be interested in trading for it if its such a pain to get, but then since its less available the demand will go up

Also - what does this mean for their fancy growler system with all the one-off batches they were supposed to release?

That's a good point. I would assume they might throw those new beers to keg distribution now and scrap the growler system.

Just seems odd to announce that, then totally pull a 180 like this.

Edit: Or maybe not even brew anything new and just stick to HT.

Sounds like its on hold for now:

"We will post about growlers when we have more info. But hang on to your your growler"

https://www.facebook.com/alchemistb...059&reply_comment_id=6837081&total_comments=3

Not sure how'd they go about filling growlers in an efficient manner if they close their retail shop, but I guess we'll just wait and see what they announce. I can't imagine them giving the kegs to somewhere else and that location now has the duties to fill the growlers.

Last edited:
Not sure how'd they go about filling growlers in an efficient manner if they close their retail shop, but I guess we'll just wait and see what they announce. I can't imagine them giving the kegs somewhere else and that location now has the duties to fill the growlers.

I mean, I don't think they're tearing the retail shop out of the place or anything. I can't imagine it would be very difficult for them to open for an hour or two for every growler release (for growler owners only), have a brewer staff the tap, and fill the growlers.

I mean, I don't think they're tearing the retail shop out of the place or anything. I can't imagine it would be very difficult for them to open for an hour or two for every growler release (for growler owners only), have a brewer staff the tap, and fill the growlers.

Agreed. I just find it odd they would close the shop to Heady sales, but then reopen strictly for growler sales (if that's what they intend on doing). It seems like a big pain in the ass for the consumer if they have to truck chase around vermont to get Heady and then still go to the cannery to get a growler fill.

this is seriously a joke, now what...go on a wild goose chase and scoop up individual 4packs to equal to a case yeah that doesn't sound annoying at all

this is seriously a joke, now what...go on a wild goose chase and scoop up individual 4packs to equal to a case yeah that doesn't sound annoying at all
I think part of the reason was they didn't want people buying cases and hauling them out of state. They want people who live nearby to be able to grab a four pack at the local shop.

I don't think this sudden and drastic change has much to do with local/non-local purchasing. If they didn't want out-of-staters to take massive quantities away they'd drop the limit at the cannery again.

Something neighborly is going on....

If I were running the Alchemist (and I'm not trying to be an armchair brewer, just throwing out the idea) I'd just drop the limit to two four packs or something. Keep it so that the locals and tourists can still buy a little Heady at the source, but people couldn't buy a ton. This would cut back on traffic and keep the beer in stock at the brewery.

I think part of the reason was they didn't want people buying cases and hauling them out of state. They want people who live nearby to be able to grab a four pack at the local shop.

recently they cut it down to 1 case per customer, but honestly even before that when it was a higher limit it was still a pain to get a 4pack at bottle shops....which is pretty irritating honestly. well you could never visit lawson's...now you can't visit the alchemist cannery. i'd say going to HF is really the only reason to take a trip there now and just hope you can get everything else you're looking for

If I were running the Alchemist (and I'm not trying to be an armchair brewer, just throwing out the idea) I'd just drop the limit to two four packs or something. Keep it so that the locals and tourists can still buy a little Heady at the source, but people couldn't buy a ton. This would cut back on traffic and keep the beer in stock at the brewery.

I don't think this would cut back on traffic. It would probably increase traffic.

My guess is that they will reopen the shop for gifts and samples at some point.

I don't think this would cut back on traffic. It would probably increase traffic.
Part of the out of state traffic was people trying to stock up themselves and to trade, those people won't make the drive all the way to Waterbury for that now.

It really wasn't difficult with the one case limit in effect.

If the lines were too long you could just come back later in the day. I've been there a couple times during HF releases, no issues.

They're actually doing a great job responding to everyone on their facebook page. Apparently they totally plan to move the cannery, but as they put it, it obviously "won't happen overnight." I like their comparison to Ben & Jerry's not always having been located in their current location.

That's right... Ben & Jerry's wasn't in their current location until after they got bought out by Unilever. They also have one of the cheesiest, least-worthwhile "factory" tours I've ever seen. So really, who knows what The Alchemist will look like in a few years?

I'd love to see a round-robin Cracker Barrel peg game tournament between the people commeting on Facebook, 3/4ths of the BA thread, and sacrelicio.

Would sit and wave tiny TalkBeer.com pennant.
THANK

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right... Ben & Jerry's wasn't in their current location until after they got bought out by Unilever. They also have one of the cheesiest, least-worthwhile "factory" tours I've ever seen. So really, who knows what The Alchemist will look like in a few years?

You weren't impressed by the flavor graveyard?!

Back