The Amaro thread (Fernet Branca, etc.)

Help Support Talkbeer:

Just finished my bottle recently but haven't restocked. Any similar libations (amaro or other herbal concoctions) others enjoy that I should branch out to?

I do enjoy me some frenet. Can someone explain to me why they call it the bartenders drink of choice though?
As a former bartender I think it is kind of a hipster thing. It was kind of like a secret handshake, if someone came up to my bar and ordered a fernet there was sort of a wink that we both knew we were cooler than everyone else. There is also the digestif element where it is said to help the stomach after a full meal and there is also the tradition of bartenders/restaurant workers going out after their shift is done, usually to a greasy/comfort food type spot so the digestif in that context makes sense.

Oddly enough, I actually discovered Fernet before becoming a bartender while reading Fergus Henderson's cookbook. Fergus Henderson has a funny section at the end of a book filled with pig ears and lamb brains where he talks about the following hangover cure:

"Here is a cure for any overindulgence, taught to me by my wise father."

2 parts Fernet Branca
1 part crème de menthe
To serve:ice

Method
  • Mix together and drink. Don’t be put off by the colour. Be careful – this is so effective you can find yourself turning to its miraculous powers with increasing regularity. Don’t let the cure become the cause.

vav

because the trump thread deserves a pulitzer
Contributor
^that. It's, basically medicine, perfect after a meal/drinking.

quirkzoo Do have a Coin? I finally earned mine a month or so back.

^that. It's, basically medicine, perfect after a meal/drinking.

quirkzoo Do have a Coin? I finally earned mine a month or so back.
No coin. I was a bartender in Hawaii 10+ years ago and it wasn't quite a "thing" there yet.

Not Your Father's Root beer + a shot of Fernet. Try it, amirite Frank ;)?
This sounds delicious.

I go through about a bottle a week at this point as it's my nightly sipper. If I'm out I may order a Toronto, but for the most part, 2oz neat in a chilled glass is my preferred method.
Often make myself a Toronto at home, the below is my post from the mixed drinks thread:

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/mixed-drink-recipes.2018/

Toronto

First created to highlight the more mellow tones of Canadian whiskey, this Fernet Branca-flecked classic becomes decidedly more assertive when mixed with American rye.

2 oz. rye or Canadian whiskey (My go to is Bulleit)
1/4 oz. Fernet Branca
1/4 oz. simple syrup (1:1)
2 dashes Angostura bitters (optional)

Garnish: strip of orange peel

Combine ingredients in a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir well for 20 seconds and strain into a chilled glass. Twist orange peel over the drink and use as garnish. (I usually just pour it over ice into a rocks glass).

Often make myself a Toronto at home, the below is my post from the mixed drinks thread:

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/mixed-drink-recipes.2018/
This is actually the same exact proportions I use, but I prefer a higher proof rye, so I go with Knob Creek (and Knob Creek Rye makes a great sazerac as well- 2oz rye, 1/4oz simple syrup, 2 dashes angostura, stir w/ ice, strain and serve down in a chilled glass that was rinsed with absinthe, garnish with orange or lemon rind twist).

I always stir, strain and serve down, as I don't like ice in my drinks.

You guys need to check out Argentina some time. It's all just the best steaks you've ever had, dulce de leche everything, and fernet everywhere (usually mixed 1 part to 3 parts coke - which works susprisingly well).

And a Toronto sound a lot more appealing than the city ever did :)

I'm drinking a Toronto right now after work, with maple in place of the simple.

Works great, but does mute the fernet a bit :(

Anyone have a favorite Fernet? Branca is certainly assertive, I've been drinking quite a bit of Contratto lately however.

Also if you like Amaros I highly suggest trying Cardamaro. It's basically a fortified wine amaro made with Cardoons and Blessed Thistle, among many other herbs and botanicals.

You guys need to check out Argentina some time. It's all just the best steaks you've ever had, dulce de leche everything, and fernet everywhere (usually mixed 1 part to 3 parts coke - which works susprisingly well).

And a Toronto sound a lot more appealing than the city ever did :)
Fernet w/ Coke is surprisingly tasty, learned it from some Argentinian friends. I don't know how they can drink so much of it though.

Very much so. Branca is the most asseritive in my opinion, so much mint. Contratto is much more mellow with a big dose of cardamom. Luxardo is almost like a baby Branca in terms of flavor. They're all great though.

But we should change this thread to a general Amaro one, may be fun.

Latest posts