the board gaming thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Finally bought Gloomhaven. After spending like 20 hours reading and re-reading the rule book, taking monster AI quizzes on boardgamegeek, organizing everything in Plano boxes, and starting painting the 6 starting minis, I finally started playing. Playing solo with 3 characters (Cragheart, Mindthief, Tinkerer), I’ve cleared the first 2 scenarios so far. My god, this game is amazing. It’s going to take me 2 years to finish. Here’s the first 3 I’ve painted; the aforementioned ones, my shit phone can’t do them justice.

Bloodborne pledge manager is up. I know there's a lot of plastic in there, but I am not paying $46 to ship a game. Eff that.
I was thinking of backing it, but I thought it would be such a big game that I would never get to it. Best case scenario would be I could scrounge up a crew to play it once. Once cost was factored in I could not even pretend to justify it.

Was the $46 with all the add-on expansions or just the base game with kickstarter expansions?

Finally bought Gloomhaven. After spending like 20 hours reading and re-reading the rule book, taking monster AI quizzes on boardgamegeek, organizing everything in Plano boxes, and starting painting the 6 starting minis, I finally started playing. Playing solo with 3 characters (Cragheart, Mindthief, Tinkerer), I’ve cleared the first 2 scenarios so far. My god, this game is amazing. It’s going to take me 2 years to finish. Here’s the first 3 I’ve painted; the aforementioned ones, my shit phone can’t do them justice.

going to play our first game sat i think

I was thinking of backing it, but I thought it would be such a big game that I would never get to it. Best case scenario would be I could scrounge up a crew to play it once. Once cost was factored in I could not even pretend to justify it.

Was the $46 with all the add-on expansions or just the base game with kickstarter expansions?
46 was the base set plus stretch goals

I've got Kingdomino getting delivered today. Seems like a simple and quick game to play with my beguiling bride on the weekdays. I watched a couple review videos that were positive. That, in combination with the Spiel des Jahres and an $18 price tag with next day delivery seemed like a can't miss. Anyone have experience? Strikes me as a simple game mechanic with layered strategy after you get a bit of experience.

I've got Kingdomino getting delivered today. Seems like a simple and quick game to play with my beguiling bride on the weekdays. I watched a couple review videos that were positive. That, in combination with the Spiel des Jahres and an $18 price tag with next day delivery seemed like a can't miss. Anyone have experience? Strikes me as a simple game mechanic with layered strategy after you get a bit of experience.
I've got both King and Queen. King is a light, fun game that looks great on the table. Queen opens it wide up with a whole bunch of new mechanics to consider. If you end up liking Kingdomino be sure to check out Queen domino as well.

bought the stuff for YASS. my buddy and my wife and me are going to be playing it and i didn’t want to open and unbox without him.

any YouTube rules videos you’d recommend as a pregame?
I also went YASS, although I did more than just that. I used the 4th Plano 3600 for all the rest of the small cards, as well as the starting minis. I also got an accordion folder for the map tiles. It’s the only part that doesn’t fit in the box, but that was worth it compared to a random jumble of map pieces which defeats the purpose of organizing in my mind. Even the broken token organizer doesn’t handle the map pieces well. Although I haven’t done it yet, I’ll also get a couple deck boxes for the city and road events, personal goal cards, etc, and without the map tiles in the box there’s plenty of room.

I can’t speak to videos but I will second this
Also re read the rule book every few scenarios. You will miss stuff.
As well as add that the official FAQ on boardgamegeek has been a godsend. There’s a lot of other good content there, but if you only read one extra thing, that’d be it.

It's a light fun game. Coworkers and I can get a couple done during our regular friday lunch gaming sessions.

I also went YASS, although I did more than just that. I used the 4th Plano 3600 for all the rest of the small cards, as well as the starting minis. I also got an accordion folder for the map tiles. It’s the only part that doesn’t fit in the box, but that was worth it compared to a random jumble of map pieces which defeats the purpose of organizing in my mind. Even the broken token organizer doesn’t handle the map pieces well. Although I haven’t done it yet, I’ll also get a couple deck boxes for the city and road events, personal goal cards, etc, and without the map tiles in the box there’s plenty of room.

I can’t speak to videos but I will second this

As well as add that the official FAQ on boardgamegeek has been a godsend. There’s a lot of other good content there, but if you only read one extra thing, that’d be it.
i would have gone daedalus/BT but i am uncoordinated, clumsy, and not remotely crafty. i'd definitely end up with a broken half-put together insert and covered in fuckin glue.

i haven't assembled YASS yet but from what the pics show i shouldn't need to buy anything else?? (i'm not sleeving)

i would have gone daedalus/BT but i am uncoordinated, clumsy, and not remotely crafty. i'd definitely end up with a broken half-put together insert and covered in fuckin glue.

i haven't assembled YASS yet but from what the pics show i shouldn't need to buy anything else?? (i'm not sleeving)
You definitely don’t, only if you want to make it even better. I didn’t sleeve either and have no intention to. I do recommend printing out the sheets that label the Planos though so you can find monsters and overlay tiles super easy.

Because I know you’re all on the edge of your seats, here are the other 3 starting minis. I won’t post any others as I unlock and paint them for spoilers obviously. I wasn’t super excited to paint the scoundrel, but she actually turned out really well. The brute is my favorite of all of them.

Latest posts