The central PA discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stakem1

Reaction score
From Bullfrog to Troegs and everything inbetween. We need a lookout and notices thread too.

Yesterday Troegs released draft Master of Pumpkins with growler fill option. Today, bottles are out. 750ml corked and $13.

Troegs LaGrave triple also makes its appearance in corked and caged 375's in 4-packs and cases in the general store with single bottle sales available at the bar for onsite consumption.

Either I am the only person from central PA on this forum or everyone is disgusted with me starting this conversation off with master of shitkins.

In other news, Splinter Brown was released for onsite only consumption. At first they stated the beer was overcarbed and too dangerous to take off site, now the issues lie with fragile cages? Not sure what thats suppose to mean. The beer itself is decent and does not at all appear or feel to be any more carbonated than others. I really hope this trend of drinking beer onsite only does not continue... However, I understand its wonderful from a business perspective. Patrons are more likely to spend extra money on other things during the visit instead of getting bottles and leaving right away.

Troegs also released a mushroom porter in their scratch series. It has little to no mushroom character and the beer tastes like 4 year old dead reckoning. I cant help but wonder if the mushroom idea was just the next shock value experiment. Coming from Troegs this was surprising.

In other news, Splinter Brown was released for onsite only consumption. At first they stated the beer was overcarbed and too dangerous to take off site, now the issues lie with fragile cages? Not sure what thats suppose to mean. The beer itself is decent and does not at all appear or feel to be any more carbonated than others. I really hope this trend of drinking beer onsite only does not continue... However, I understand its wonderful from a business perspective. Patrons are more likely to spend extra money on other things during the visit instead of getting bottles and leaving right away.

This whole on-site only caveat and subsequent multiple explanations was kinda weird. I understand if they want to limit it to on-site only, but it definitely makes it tougher for people from outside the area to enjoy it. I wanted to stop by on Sunday but I really didn't have any extra time to drive from Lancaster to Hershey and hang out for an hour or so since I had to get back to Philly.

This whole on-site only caveat and subsequent multiple explanations was kinda weird. I understand if they want to limit it to on-site only, but it definitely makes it tougher for people from outside the area to enjoy it. I wanted to stop by on Sunday but I really didn't have any extra time to drive from Lancaster to Hershey and hang out for an hour or so since I had to get back to Philly.

i'm with you... couldn't find the time to get out there (~2 hour drive for me) just to try the beer and drive home. so a little disappointed for sure.

I'll be in the Allentown area in a couple weeks and was thinking of visiting a brewery or 2...probably Tired Hands or Pizza Boy, but if there are any other suggestions within about an hour of Allentown, I'd appreciate it.

I'll be in the Allentown area in a couple weeks and was thinking of visiting a brewery or 2...probably Tired Hands or Pizza Boy, but if there are any other suggestions within about an hour of Allentown, I'd appreciate it.
Pizza Boy is not close to Allentown and Tired Hands is an hour away. I would hit up Weyerbacher for sure because you will be so close. If you do decide to head towards Philly and go to Tired Hands, you might also consider stopping at Forest and Main in Ambler, PA.

Fegley's is also right in downtown allentown... it's a cool place. the beer is not other worldly or anything, but solid.

Thanks for the info. I never said Pizza Boy was close, I just said I'd be willing to drive about an hour and Pizza Boy is a little over an hour away, hence within my range. Thanks again.

Fegley's is obviously tempting too...I've only had their Imp Pumpkin...not bad. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I never said Pizza Boy was close, I just said I'd be willing to drive about an hour and Pizza Boy is a little over an hour away, hence within my range. Thanks again.

It's worth the drive. I took an hourish ride up there this summer when I stayed in Lancaster and was glad I did it.

pizza boy/al's is cool because they not only have the beer brewed on site but they have other stuff on tap as well. i usually stick to the pizza boy stuff bc i can't get that anywhere else. everything i've had has been really solid. but i've only been there twice.

I'm a big Pizza Boy fan, but if you have to decide between the two, I would make the (shorter) trip to TH. Both make great beers though.

Last edited:
Impending Decent release @ Troegs on 11/29 ... on tap and bottles in the tasting room (sixers and cases).

hey guys im gonna be heading to fites lan in febuary, this is where its gonna be at

Park Inn
5401 CARLISLE PIKE
MECHANICSBURG, PA 17050

can anyone in PA make suggestions as far as stores/bars go that are in this area? thanks!

How long will you be in town? If you have some time Troegs is in Hershey about 25 min north. Also there is Appalachian and Lancaster Brewing in Harrisburg as well as some decent taps down bear 2nd street.

im gonna be there all weekend, it falls on feb 21-23. i'll definitely hit up troegs since i haven't been there yet....i know its not for a while but i'll definitely post up here again when its getting closer to the date in case anyone wants to meet up and do an IP trade or just have some drinks, cheers !

thanks for mentiong that one max, i checked out pizza boy/als and it looks like lancaster and troegs are close to that as well, ill have a few spots to check out now

I'd pass on Lancaster Brewing. Troegs would be time better spent. Al's\Pizza Boy shouldn't be missed and it's very close to your location. PB is killing sours right now! If your're into Belgians at all, Cafe Bruges in Carlisle is top notch. Wegman's on the Carlisle Pike has a decent bottle selection (be mindful of best buy\bottling dates) and there's Westy's distributor for cases.

Best thing I have read about Troegs in a long time:

Bourbon Troegenator coming to bottles this month in the gift shop to-go. Plans to make it a seasonal release with limited distribution in coming years. This beer was awesome last year on draft. Please God, dont let them **** the bottles up.

Nugget nectar also comes out monday at least at Troegs. Cant wait to see if this is back to being the beer that made me fall in love with Troegs or the turd it has been off and on the past few years.

Lots of other details in their latest newsletter but these were most noteable/timely.

Bourbon Troegenator coming to bottles this month in the gift shop to-go. Plans to make it a seasonal release with limited distribution in coming years. This beer was awesome last year on draft. Please God, dont let them **** the bottles up.

Nugget nectar also comes out monday at least at Troegs. Cant wait to see if this is back to being the beer that made me fall in love with Troegs or the turd it has been off and on the past few years.

Lots of other details in their latest newsletter but these were most noteable/timely.
ohhhh hnnnnng iso bourbon troegenator so hard. i love regular troegenator and this sounds incredible.

ohhhh hnnnnng iso bourbon troegenator so hard. i love regular troegenator and this sounds incredible.
the draft version of bourbon troegenator was remarkable...everything you would imagine it being: molasses/vanilla/caramel/toffee with an extra hearty boozy kick

i hope the new batches are everything the old one was

the draft version of bourbon troegenator was remarkable...everything you would imagine it being: molasses/vanilla/caramel/toffee with an extra hearty boozy kick

i hope the new batches are everything the old one was
any idea on how limited the distro would be? i'm assuming only pa, but a boy can dream.

any idea on how limited the distro would be? i'm assuming only pa, but a boy can dream.
It sounds promising for next year:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator
This month we will package Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator! Initially released as Scratch #87, this barrel-aged version of our flagship Double Bock is dense, chewy, and captivating. After hibernating for six months in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels, Troegenator has emerged as a lush Double Bock with undertones of vanilla, oak, and toasted coconut amid a warm blanket of tangy bourbon notes. For this initial run, we will release Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator in 750mL cork and cage bottles available at the brewery through the General Store for take-out as well as our Tasting Room for on-premise consumption. We plan to make this beer an annual limited release with availability in September and October at select beer retailers throughout our distribution footprint.
rule_2.gif

It sounds promising for next year:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator
This month we will package Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator! Initially released as Scratch #87, this barrel-aged version of our flagship Double Bock is dense, chewy, and captivating. After hibernating for six months in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels, Troegenator has emerged as a lush Double Bock with undertones of vanilla, oak, and toasted coconut amid a warm blanket of tangy bourbon notes. For this initial run, we will release Bourbon Barrel-Aged Troegenator in 750mL cork and cage bottles available at the brewery through the General Store for take-out as well as our Tasting Room for on-premise consumption. We plan to make this beer an annual limited release with availability in September and October at select beer retailers throughout our distribution footprint.
rule_2.gif
hDF3B9FE1

Bourbon Troegenator coming to bottles this month in the gift shop to-go. Plans to make it a seasonal release with limited distribution in coming years.

so stoked for this.

Any word on when ihe BA Troegenator will be avalliable? And do they sell kegs(NN) from the Gift shop?

Any word on when ihe BA Troegenator will be avalliable? And do they sell kegs(NN) from the Gift shop?

It seems as though Troegs has once again **** the bed and blew it with their timeline/email notifications regarding when this would be released. Email newsletter stated it would be a January release. I spoke to an employee tonight who said its still in the brite tank and wont be bottled/ready for at least 2 more weeks.

And while im on a Troegs **** talking spree...wow Nugget Nectar is a hell of a let down this year. They have truely dumbed it down from a delicious imperial hoppy red to just an average joe forgettable red ale with zero aroma. The pint I had on tap tonight was laughable. I argued with the bartender...no way that **** was nugget unless it was a 2 year old keg...joke was on me I guess.

BA Troegenator release is Thursday at 11am. $18 each, limit 2 per person, available on site or to go.

Edit - Terrible timing for me since I'm actually heading out that way next weekend, was hoping I'd hit it on the right day. Also I kinda agree with stakem on the NN this year...I was really underwhelmed but was reserving my opinion since I had it after OTWOA and Sucks so my palate was fairly thrashed.

So BA Troegenator; very well done, a little thin in the body, good amount of Bourbon upfront. Anyone else get to try it?
Think this will last 'til Saturday? Wanted to leave work early today to swing up to Hershey but couldn't swing it.

I would think so. With a limit of 2 per, you would think they have a lot. Although I did see a few people get back in line a second time. I am not sure what Troegs policy on that is. It is also avaliable in the tap room, so worst case you will still get to try it.
Think this will last 'til Saturday? Wanted to leave work early today to swing up to Hershey but couldn't swing it.

I would think so. With a limit of 2 per, you would think they have a lot. Although I did see a few people get back in line a second time. I am not sure what Troegs policy on that is. It is also avaliable in the tap room, so worst case you will still get to try it.

I heard the mule whispering game was strong yesterday with people bringing both parental units, siblings and children to try and buy extra bottles.

Troegs says a C&C version of BA Java Head (firkins being tapped on Friday) is "definitely likely."

https://www.facebook.com/troegsbrew...38?reply_comment_id=29282083&total_comments=1

I'll be out that way on Friday but no chance I can get to the brewery. Would like to see that bottled so I can try.

It was a decent brew, I prefer it to the recent batch of BA nator.

I have a hard time imagining that they only filled 1 barrel with Java Head. They probably have plenty more and just tapped into this as a teaser/test sample on friday.

This is going to be an instawhale! I fought through 10s of people, waited in the cold for 3 minuteS, and no limit, so it's just like Prop. take that Midwest!

I waited until everyone purchased what they wanted. Then I bought every last remaining bottle. If my count is accurate, only 33 of us currently own bottles. My buddy is drinking his tonight... another one bites the dust!

srs

not srs

I waited until everyone purchased what they wanted. Then I bought every last remaining bottle. If my count is accurate, only 33 of us currently own bottles. My buddy is drinking his tonight... another one bites the dust!

srs

not srs
Super srs.

To my more interior brethren, has anyone been to Pizza Boy lately? I haven't been in a few months and was thinking of hitting it up on Saturday. I'm curious what bottles they've had available lately, if any. Also, anything on tap that's drinking well?

Back