The Festival 2014 (Shelton Bros) in LA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're going to the first session on both days, but that's based on a personal preference not to spend 8 hours a day at the festival. The liver can only handle so much.

So the ticket cost doesn't include any drink tickets at all? I get that they're flying all the brewers in but that seems a bit wonky. Is that how it worked in the past when they did it on the east coast?

Edit: The drink tickets are cheap enough that it's not a big deal, just a weird format to not include even a single drink ticket in the cost.

of course, thats were me and my group (which includes beachwood staff) generally have our regular meetups.

fantastic... let's see if we can set something up... not sure if serious but in a reply to a tweet between Shaun Hill and I, Shelton said they were working on a HF/Loon/3F event around that time as well....

fantastic... let's see if we can set something up... not sure if serious but in a reply to a tweet between Shaun Hill and I, Shelton said they were working on a HF/Loon/3F event around that time as well....
oh man, that be sweet! is that event happening out west or is it a vermont thing?

tumblr_lazw0p6WrO1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif

Last edited:
I've been to the fest the first 2 years.... AMA!

So the ticket cost doesn't include any drink tickets at all? I get that they're flying all the brewers in but that seems a bit wonky. Is that how it worked in the past when they did it on the east coast?

Worcester was just a flat fee, no drink tickets. Tickets started out crazy expensive ($100 or so) and were lowered ($60ish) after prepared food was dropped and food trucks put in place instead. I managed to grab discounted tickets day of since it was a new fest and they had trouble selling it out.

ME required drink tickets due to state law and were included with ticket price, but collecting of said tickets was inconsistent and didn't end up being a big deal at all, despite vocal initial concerns pre-fest. Not sure how CA festival law works, so it could be a way to abide by the law (if required) and/or just raise money for charity, but $45 for a session plus $20 for tickets equals the $65 for a session for the one in Portland.

it's totally reasonable for a charity event with that type of lineup IMHO

ME required drink tickets due to state law and were included with ticket price, but collecting of said tickets was inconsistent and didn't end up being a big deal at all, despite vocal initial concerns pre-fest. Not sure how CA festival law works, so it could be a way to abide by the law (if required) and/or just raise money for charity, but $45 for a session plus $20 for tickets equals the $65 for a session for the one in Portland.
Gotcha, thanks. The drink tickets definitely isn't a state law as there are a number of unlimited beer fests in CA, but could've played into local permitting, hard to say. I'm definitely not opposed to the setup, it's just odd to pay for entry into a beerfest without any beer actually being included.

Since you've been to both before, secondary questions - did you feel like one session was enough to try everything you wanted? Two sessions? And did all four session have 1) the same beers and 2) enough of each beer to last most of the session?

it's totally reasonable for a charity event with that type of lineup IMHO
Dude, I really hope this goes down. I have been in that private fofa message with you for a while now but after we finalized a deal, the guy I was trading has just gone silent on me. Therefore, I won't be going to Vermont in two weeks and would be stoked if they came out here!

Since you've been to both before, secondary questions - did you feel like one session was enough to try everything you wanted? Two sessions? And did all four session have 1) the same beers and 2) enough of each beer to last most of the session?

Last 2 years there have only been 3 sessions, so the 4 is a new wrinkle.

First year I only went to one session and it was probably the best fest I've ever been to, but this was partly due to how not crowded it was (yes, I will try 7 Cantillon offerings with no line...) and how cool the venue was (old opera house), plus Shelton trying to impress in the first year. I think I hit most stuff, but I got very drunk. So the next year I decided to volunteer one session, they offered a free session the next day if you volunteered, and then I paid for one. So poured at one and went to two. Thought it was great, still missed a few things, but got to try almost everything I wanted and discovered a lot of cool new things.

They did offer a few beers that were unique to each session in the past. "Headliners" so to speak. Drie Fonteinen '98, '99, and '01 I believe last year, I think HF may have done different things for each session as well. Most of the stuff is the same, though. First year since it was sparsely attended there was no problem with stuff selling out. Last year, some stuff definitely did sell out somewhat quick, and there can be longer lines for the crazy stuff at the start.

Last edited:
Dude, I really hope this goes down. I have been in that private fofa message with you for a while now but after we finalized a deal, the guy I was trading has just gone silent on me. Therefore, I won't be going to Vermont in two weeks and would be stoked if they came out here!

HF will definitely be pouring at the Festival... it's the extra event I'm not sure of... I got tix for the early Saturday session too...

I'm so freaking torn. I don't like big beer fests--I feel like I need to be in 100 different places at once and standing in long lines for super-hyped beers only heightens the crazy feelings I get. For me, finally getting to taste the damn beer is more about being able to relax for a few moments at that point and less about actually enjoying the experience/taste/etc., unfortunately. At the same time, I know I'll be stewing all weekend long over not being there if I don't go. Can't decide which is worse.

Probably never tasting a HF beer, eh?

I kinda wanna make this trip, especially if Cantillon decides to bring something special again

First year they brought the unblended Lambic "vert" on draft along with 2010 Zwanze, Vig, Fou and others. Second year was the Haute Densite and Zwanze 2012.

Really geeked for this... I hope to pop some bottles with a number of you.
I kinda wanna make this trip, especially if Cantillon decides to bring something special again

More than happy to put together a little/big share the Friday night prior up in West LA for anyone interested/coming in from out of town. Dunt OsLovesBeer

More than happy to put together a little/big share the Friday night prior up in West LA for anyone interested/coming in from out of town. Dunt OsLovesBeer
Awesome! I know GregorySingh also mentioned a share at Beechwood. Let's make some solid plans. I'll bring some good stuff with me

Assuming FoBAB is announced for its usual weekend, this is going to be quite the 2 consecutive weekends for me.

Hmmm. I'm thinking about buying tickets for session 1 on Saturday to pre-game it on my way down to SDBW. I assume that many of these breweries will also be having events around San Diego over the following week. My liver is going to be super sad!

More than happy to put together a little/big share the Friday night prior up in West LA for anyone interested/coming in from out of town.
I'd definitely be down for a West LA bottle share!

EDIT: Saturday session one ticket purchased! I'll be the mildly-overweight-white-guy-with-a-beard. Say "hi" if you see me.

Last edited:
Back