The Great Music of Talkbeer - 1994

Help Support Talkbeer:

Each Monday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 1994

Honorable mentions begin on Friday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=1994&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Tom Petty - Wildflowers

Lots of great albums to pick from whether it's the Heartbreakers or his solo work but this is by far my favorite.

Though technically not a Heartbreakers album, Mike Campbell (lead guitar and producer) and Benmont Tench (keyboards) who were with him from the beginning in Gainesville join him on this album. In fact all Heartbreakers except drummer Stan Lynch appear on this album. Drumming on this album is handled by some guy named Ringo Starr.

Some of my favorite songs on the album:

The title track Wildflowers. Not sure why this wasn't released as a single

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Possibly my favorite Tom Petty song ever:

(Link to media)

I try to limit myself to 3 songs from an album but I just can't do it with this one.

(Link to media)

Last edited:
Soundgarden: Superunknown

One of the seminal albums of my life. A generational talent at vocals. Every note of every song is perfect. Still listen to it at least twice a month front to back. Great videos as well.

I'll let someone else who is more eloquent with words do a better write up should they desire.

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Last edited:
Holy shit this is a great year. Lots to choose from. I posted about one of them last week in the Random Music Thoughts thread, so I'll pick a different one.

Weezer - s/t (aka The Blue Album)

Just a stone cold power pop classic. I've listened to this thousands of times and never gotten tired of it. Wore out a couple dubbed tapes of this in my Walkman mowing lawns in the summer of '94.

Too bad they suck now.

Still one of the best videos ever, IMO.

Last edited:
I looked through the first 3 pages of the link and saw at least 25 albums i owned. Of the few that really jumped out at me only one hasnt been taken. I used to own a beanbag chair back when this came out, and there were few blissful a moment in my life at the time as coming home from a long weekend traveling around to soccer tournaments, pulling that beanbag up against the freestanding 12' speakers i had at the time, and letting the bass on this album flow thru me.

Soul Coughing
Ruby Vroom

this is a top 10 goat song for me. dont even care.
(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Arbitrator

Not Patrick
NIN - The Downward Spiral

Can't believe I'm first, but maybe it is too obvious.

Where Throbbing Gristle and Skinny Puppy failed to break into rock mainstream, Trent Reznor bridged into it with the synthpoppy PHM, an overcompensatingly heavy Broken, and then this.

TDS is the perfect blend of industrial and rock, arguably the most definitive coldwave album, and it set up paths for Coil, Foetus, Tweaker, and PIG to make it to the mainstream.

It shaped modern rock history. In addition to being a Rosetta Stone of sorts, it is just banging. I'd post videos, but I'm on my phone and it's a PITA.

NIN - The Downward Spiral

Can't believe I'm first, but maybe it is too obvious.

Where Throbbing Gristle and Skinny Puppy failed to break into rock mainstream, Trent Reznor bridged into it with the synthpoppy PHM, an overcompensatingly heavy Broken, and then this.

TDS is the perfect blend of industrial and rock, arguably the most definitive coldwave album, and it set up paths for Coil, Foetus, Tweaker, and PIG to make it to the mainstream.

It shaped modern rock history. In addition to being a Rosetta Stone of sorts, it is just banging. I'd post videos, but I'm on my phone and it's a PITA.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

(Link to media)

got to play this for my high school english class for a lord of the flies analysis.

Group Builder