The Great Music of Talkbeer - 2016

Help Support Talkbeer:

Each Wednesday (typically) we'll introduce a new year from 1958 through 2017. Each member selects an album released in that year with a few lines (or more) on why you picked it/enjoy it. Your selection does not have to be the most important release or the most admired release of that year (though it certainly can be), simply an album that grabs you and that you really love.

However, once an album is selected by a member, you must choose a different album.

Together we will compile quite the canon of "Great Music" and, who knows, maybe inspire each other to check out some new artists (or to revisit old forgotten classics).

This week - the albums of 2016

Honorable mentions begin on Monday

No placeholders. You must post the artist and title followed by the album cover. You may edit your post to include a write-up or videos.

Here is a list of the top albums per Rate Your Music, which is the source I will use to determine an albums release date.
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2016&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

tosh

Premium Supporter
Contributor
I'll take another Ian Hunter album I guess. Been lucky to see Ian and his band a good few times in the last few years, they put on a fantastic show, and for a 79 year old he is still going hard.

Max Cooper Emergence

Went to a festival years ago and was told I had to check this guy out. Never really into big room style music or trance. This is how it was described to me, but I was convinced enough to check him out. Far from what was described to me, and much more to my liking. This album shows how far he has come. He might be one of my favorite electronic musicians right now. Since seeing him years ago he now has a crazy show where he sets up multiple speakers within the room emitting different tracks of a song to different speaks. A fully emersed show. I hope he brings it to California is soon. Back to this album, it's builds on itself as it has a progression sorta like house does, yet in a very different fashion.

Full Album

Animals As Leaders - The Madness of Many

Recent year means I'm going prog/djent. Animals As Leaders paves the way for the genre, bringing different influences to each album. A ton of Spanish guitar style, hyper technical shit on this one.

As always, it's best experienced as a whole, but here are some of my favorite cuts:

Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter

I talked about Margo Price's sophomore album in the 2017 thread, but I can't say enough about how much I have enjoyed her first two albums. They are fun, and get to the heart of a lot of what is heartbreaking in middle America without being what is tacky about pop country. They are just well crafted, well performed songs.
Going to toss in her Tiny Desk, too.

One thing I am enjoying about these threads is they're helping me look deeper into my musical tastes and the where/when/why of liking what I like. I've noticed that as I get older what I listen to seems to get weirder, I never noticed it on a year to year basis, but over time, the shift is real. I wonder if in twenty years I too will be talking about what a great album Sounds of North American Frogs is just as Henry Rollins does now. Now that I have my epiphany out of the way, my pick for this year is:

Dakh Daughters - If

I first came across this band last year when I saw the following video (which while not on the album, it has not to my knowledge been released in any official recorded form, so....whatever, the rest of the posted songs are from this release):

It took a while for me to process what I had seen/heard. Clearly these were some talented musicians, fantastic energy, theatrics/stage presence in spades...pretty much all I could ask for in a band, but it wasn't quite like most of what I had heard up to that point. It was like someone combined a string quartet, tribal music, and opera quality singers and tossed in some Shakespeare for lyrics.

Anyway, this is another band that I don't know a ton about. They're seven multi-instrumental actresses from the same theater in Ukraine and a couple of them are in other music groups and....that's basically what I know. I don't think they've ever performed in this country, though they have a show scheduled in Seattle in January. With their theater background they tend to have very theatrical live shows and music videos, which sometimes is great and sometimes...just isn't my thing. What stands out to me in some of their songs is how they use the multitude of singers in some striking ways.

Starts off quite slow, but finishes strong. Has some good examples of how they make use of all the vocalists, particularly around the 2:25 mark.

I'm posting this video about a minute into the clip, go to the start if you want to see an example of theatrics taking away from the music (in my opinion, of course, and I concede that it probably presents much better when seen live than on a couch). This song also makes some good use of multiple vocalists.

Lastly, an accordion-centric murder ballad.

I still don't really know quite what to make of this band. I don't think they are the best band around. I probably wouldn't say this was my favorite album of the year. But I will say this is the only band I've come across in the last few years that has combined this level of talent with a presentation and sound that I haven't really encountered before.

Animals As Leaders - The Madness of Many

Recent year means I'm going prog/djent. Animals As Leaders paves the way for the genre, bringing different influences to each album. A ton of Spanish guitar style, hyper technical shit on this one.

As always, it's best experienced as a whole, but here are some of my favorite cuts:

That crazy polyrhythm mixed with the intermittent stereo oscillation on that first track is trippy.

Group Builder