The Great Music of Talkbeer - 2016

Help Support Talkbeer:

Naked Lights - On Nature

Castleface (John Dwyer/ Thee Oh Sees label) released this monster in January of the current year in review, and it hoisted itself to my favorite pretty soon after I played it all the way through. The sheets of atonal/skronky post-punk guitar pop ditties combined with yelp-y vocals ala Kleenex are a match made in heaven. There may be a few standouts, but this is a dish best consumed in one full go.
(Link to media)

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

Pixies - Head Carrier

Holy crow am i gonna catch shit for this, but I love the new Pixies. Love it. Both this, and Indie Cindy from 2014. I dug them growing up, but was never the hugest fan...so that non-attachment probably makes it a lot easier to accept the new stuff with fresh ears.

(Link to media)

I found myself just putting this on in the background with zero expectations, and practically every song just snuck in the back door with a clever hook/rhythm/melody until I had to admit to myself that I was very much enjoying it.

Feel free, as a Pixies fan, to set me straight and tell me its considered a shitty album. It wont change my mind, I just want to know where I stand.

Pixies - Head Carrier

Holy crow am i gonna catch shit for this, but I love the new Pixies. Love it. Both this, and Indie Cindy from 2014. I dug them growing up, but was never the hugest fan...so that non-attachment probably makes it a lot easier to accept the new stuff with fresh ears.

(Link to media)

I found myself just putting this on in the background with zero expectations, and practically every song just snuck in the back door with a clever hook/rhythm/melody until I had to admit to myself that I was very much enjoying it.

Feel free, as a Pixies fan, to set me straight and tell me its considered a shitty album. It wont change my mind, I just want to know where I stand.
Didn’t you already post an album??

Let’s not get hung up on the rules man.

I mean fuck it right? Everyone just posts any album they’ve ever listened to more than twice from most years anyway ;)
This year is a total dog for me. I own a whopping 5 albums, and have only heard 4 of them. Bowie is owned, but never listened too. I gotta pick one that is simply pretty ok.

Cyndi Lauper - Detour

I love Cyndi. A lot. I have all of her studio records, and some odds and ends. My guess is none of you guys knew this existed. But it does, and it is only decent. Cyndi has done all sorts of records "recently" from dance, to blues, to this record - country. It doesn't work well because she has a distinct voice, with a strong accent. You can ALWAYS tell when she is singing because of her New York accent, and it just doesn't lend itself to this genre. But because she is who she is, she presses on and puts together a record i'll listen to occasionally.

tosh

Premium Supporter
Contributor
This year is a total dog for me. I own a whopping 5 albums, and have only heard 4 of them. Bowie is owned, but never listened too. I gotta pick one that is simply pretty ok.

Cyndi Lauper - Detour

I love Cyndi. A lot. I have all of her studio records, and some odds and ends. My guess is none of you guys knew this existed. But it does, and it is only decent. Cyndi has done all sorts of records "recently" from dance, to blues, to this record - country. It doesn't work well because she has a distinct voice, with a strong accent. You can ALWAYS tell when she is singing because of her New York accent, and it just doesn't lend itself to this genre. But because she is who she is, she presses on and puts together a record i'll listen to occasionally.
I like that choice. Still sad no one is brave enough to post that other pick. If it ends up as an also ran it is just disappointing.

I honestly had the link lined up and felt i was not the person to post and do it justice as I half arse my write up. Starting to regret it to be honest.

I like that choice. Still sad no one is brave enough to post that other pick. If it ends up as an also ran it is just disappointing.

I honestly had the link lined up and felt i was not the person to post and do it justice as I half arse my write up. Starting to regret it to be honest.
Go ahead and do it.

Sorry for choosing an album I like. ;)

steimie

Premium Athletic Supporter

You may be putting too much thought into this entire exercise. It's a music thread on a beer website.

Obviously my #1 pick...

Also worth noting, that the concept with Nonagon was that it is one continuous song...the end matches up perfectly with the beginning so that it can be an infinite listen. Not my fave as far as their concepts go, but whatever.

I'll go with another Flightless Records band...

Orb - Birth

Debut from this Aussie stoner rock band. Total Black Sabbath worship. This album was really raw, crunchy and formless...their next album after this was a little bit more structured and adhered more to traditional song structure. Both are excellent, but I might like this one a bit better. Can't wait to hear the new one that should be out on vinyl soon.

Linking the whole album cause it's awesome.
(Link to media)
I just finished up listening to this record. Simply based on this recommendation. It is damn good. I have since moved on to high on fires new record. So far it’s pretty good

I know I've already pigeon holed myself in these threads and this post won't change that, but ZFG.

My pick is ATCQ, We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service.

When they announced that they were going to be releasing a new album, I got pretty excited. Their previous album, The Love Movement, came out in 1998 so that put them at 18 years between releases! When Phife Dawg passed away from complications due to diabetes in March 2016 (in the middle of making the album) I was pretty bummed. Then, for historical context, this album was released the Friday after Trump was elected, so that was a weird head space of a week anyway. I bought this album as soon as it dropped and listened to it probably 20 times that first week and I definitely had some really emotional responses to an album that doesn't even try to hide it's sociopolitical intentions. Including:

1) Fuck, Phife is really gone man.
2) Jarobi isn't Phife, but I appreciate the effort.
3) It's pretty incredible that a group got to make a legit farewell album, and it definitely has a "fare thee well..." feel.
4) This past election really exposed a lot of ugliness that exists in our country, despite all the feel-good bullshit that I might have felt about "progress" as a middle-class, college-educated, cis White male. My privilege let me ignore that, so what am I going to do with that knowledge now? (I was also listening to a lot of the Politically Reactive podcast too).
5) This shit is dope.

The first track, "The Space Program" came out hard with a space program analogy for inner-city gentrification.

Put so much in this muthafucka, feel like we shouldn't leave
Put it on TV, put it in movies, put it in our face
These notions and ideas and citizens live in space
I chuckle just like all of y'all, absurdity, after all
Takes money to get it running and money for trees to fall
Imagine for a second all the people are colored, please
Imagine for a second all the people in poverty
No matter the skin tone, culture or time zone
Think the ones who got it would even think to throw you a bone?
Moved you out your neighborhood, did they find you a home?
Nah cypher, probably no place to
Imagine if this shit was really talkin' about space, dude

The music video for The Space Program was released way after the album, but it's an amazing little work of art:

The second track, "We The People..." felt especially raw with the racist vitriol that was spewed during the election season (and continues today). The opening lines:

We don't believe you 'cause we the people
Are still here in the rear, ayo, we don't need you
You in the killing-off-good-young-Librarian mood
When we get hungry we eat the same fucking food

and the hook from later:

All you Black folks, you must go
All you Mexicans, you must go
And all you poor folks, you must go
Muslims and gays
Boy, we hate your ways
So all you bad folks, you must go

A few tracks later, "Dis Generation" does the opposite of what a lot of rap does today with put downs and clap backs. It specifically calls out some current rappers (Joey Bada$$, Earl Sweatshirt, Kendrick Lamar and J Cole) that they admire in a "passing of the torch" kind of way that's pretty cool.

Talk to Joey, Earl, Kendrick, and Cole, gatekeepers of flow
They are extensions of instinctual soul
It's the highest in commodity grade
And you could get it today

Hearing Andre 3000 on an ATCQ track with "Kids" was just fucking great.

The rest of the group got to say goodbye to Phife on "Lost Somebody", but the song really hits home for anybody that's lost somebody close to them. It's just a really beautiful tribute.

Anyway, I could annotate almost every single track on the album, but I'll spare everybody haha. Suffice to it say that I really connected with this album and even today, almost 2 years later, I spin it on the regular. Good shit.

I know I've already pigeon holed myself in these threads and this post won't change that, but ZFG.

My pick is ATCQ, We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service.

When they announced that they were going to be releasing a new album, I got pretty excited. Their previous album, The Love Movement, came out in 1998 so that put them at 18 years between releases! When Phife Dawg passed away from complications due to diabetes in March 2016 (in the middle of making the album) I was pretty bummed. Then, for historical context, this album was released the Friday after Trump was elected, so that was a weird head space of a week anyway. I bought this album as soon as it dropped and listened to it probably 20 times that first week and I definitely had some really emotional responses to an album that doesn't even try to hide it's sociopolitical intentions. Including:

1) Fuck, Phife is really gone man.
2) Jarobi isn't Phife, but I appreciate the effort.
3) It's pretty incredible that a group got to make a legit farewell album, and it definitely has a "fare thee well..." feel.
4) This past election really exposed a lot of ugliness that exists in our country, despite all the feel-good bullshit that I might have felt about "progress" as a middle-class, college-educated, cis White male. My privilege let me ignore that, so what am I going to do with that knowledge now? (I was also listening to a lot of the Politically Reactive podcast too).
5) This shit is dope.

The first track, "The Space Program" came out hard with a space program analogy for inner-city gentrification.

Put so much in this muthafucka, feel like we shouldn't leave
Put it on TV, put it in movies, put it in our face
These notions and ideas and citizens live in space
I chuckle just like all of y'all, absurdity, after all
Takes money to get it running and money for trees to fall
Imagine for a second all the people are colored, please
Imagine for a second all the people in poverty
No matter the skin tone, culture or time zone
Think the ones who got it would even think to throw you a bone?
Moved you out your neighborhood, did they find you a home?
Nah cypher, probably no place to

The music video for The Space Program was released way after the album, but it's an amazing little work of art:

The second track, "We The People..." felt especially raw with the racist vitriol that was spewed during the election season (and continues today). The opening lines:

We don't believe you 'cause we the people
Are still here in the rear, ayo, we don't need you
You in the killing-off-good-young-Librarian mood
When we get hungry we eat the same fucking food

and the hook from later:

All you Black folks, you must go
All you Mexicans, you must go
And all you poor folks, you must go
Muslims and gays
Boy, we hate your ways
So all you bad folks, you must go

A few tracks later, "Dis Generation" does the opposite of what a lot of rap does today with put downs and clap backs. It specifically calls out some current rappers (Joey Bada$$, Earl Sweatshirt, Kendrick Lamar and J Cole) that they admire in a "passing of the torch" kind of way that's pretty cool.

Talk to Joey, Earl, Kendrick, and Cole, gatekeepers of flow
They are extensions of instinctual soul
It's the highest in commodity grade
And you could get it today

Hearing Andre 3000 on an ATCQ track with "Kids" was just fucking great.

The rest of the group got to say goodbye to Phife on "Lost Somebody", but the song really hits home for anybody that's lost somebody close to them. It's just a really beautiful tribute.

Anyway, I could annotate almost every single track on the album, but I'll spare everybody haha. Suffice to it say that I really connected with this album and even today, almost 2 years later, I spin it on the regular. Good shit.
This was almost my #1. Was listening to it this morning.

This was almost my #1. Was listening to it this morning.
I don't blame you. Impossible Kid is so good too.

"Lotta Years" makes me laugh every time I listen to it because as I get older, I feel like I can relate more and more to the track. Plus, the video is him just walking around Portland and live rapping. Ruby Jewel whaaaaat?!

"Get out of the Car" is an incredibly honest 2 minute window into life and loss. Fuck cancer.

I don't blame you. Impossible Kid is so good too.

"Lotta Years" makes me laugh every time I listen to it because as I get older, I feel like I can relate more and more to the track. Plus, the video is him just walking around Portland and live rapping. Ruby Jewel whaaaaat?!

"Get out of the Car" is an incredibly honest 2 minute window into life and loss. Fuck cancer.

I think his last couple videos are filmed in Portland, since he lives here now.

I love Kirby, probably one of the best tracks about a cat.

Group Builder