The Great Music of Talkbeer - 2016

Help Support Talkbeer:

Here are my Monday selections. These are all electronic music based.

I have no idea if this is allowed. There were some great albums this year electronically, and a lot of shiiittttttt. A lot of repeated samples from trap and I was bored. Sayer released this and it really perked my interest. Not sure if mixtapes are allowed. You will enjoy this if you like knife party/figure.

Bleep Bloop also released this album. Very much in the same light as the mixtape above, this being a cohesive album and not a mixtape.

Russ liquid also released a new EP this year. He started using musicians in his live sets. He plays the trumpet as well as a slew of other wind instruments. Not my favorite from him but I did enjoy it.

Last, but not least, is GRiZ. GRiZ has done no wrong in my book. I have always enjoyed his stuff. This album is great, so are the few albums he has done before this.

Soundtrack or no, if this doesn't deserve to make this thread, I don't know what does:

Fun fact, my trophy point is from posting a landmark post (1,000,000th?) on TalkBeer, and it was a song from this album. The show is off beat and some of the songs are a little too honest.
Have no fear, these are all original songs from an underrated musical comedy. The show is weird af, but it cracks me up. I have loved Rachel Bloom since way back when she was doing videos for College Humor.

Noname- Telefone
My runner-up and my 3rd best hip-hop album of the year after ATCQ and Chance. What an incredible album, and, live, one of the best stage presences I’ve ever witnessed. San Diego is a weird city for live music and often times I see performers give up on the crowd and phone it in. Not Noname. In a half full venue she absolutely crushed it. Pulled the crowd in and got everyone excited and involved when she easily could have ran through the songs and moved on. Full band, great sound, quite memorable, and I’d recommend her to anyone.

I don't think I have a proper runner up for this year, so here are some of the as yet unmentioned standouts for me, in no particular order:

Free Salamander Exhibit - Undestroyed
This is basically Sleepytime Gorilla Museum minus Kihlstedt and Bossi.

Brain Tentacles - Self-titled
My friend turned me onto this band a few weeks ago, and this album blew me away. Their description, equal parts jazz, metal, and noise is an apt one.

Walter Sickert & The Army of Broken Toys - Come Black Magic

The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
One of two albums they released this year, along with One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache, which was a collaboration with Full of Hell. I chose this song because the start and the beat throughout kind of showcase why they shouldn't be pigeonholed as just a metal band.

Kid Congo & The Pink Monkey Birds - La Araña Es La Vida
Kid Congo is a national treasure.

I think I'm at my limit for videos in one post, but also worth mentioning is the Mike & The Melvins album that came out, which was a collaboration between The Melvins and Mike Kunka of godheadSilo.

As I was picking out videos for my previous post something came up in the recommended videos that I had almost forgotten about. I wasn't planning on posting more for this year but...I'm a sucker for people that might be bigger Simpsons nerds than I am. So with that in mind, I present to you:

Okilly Dokilly is a Ned Flanders tribute band. That's it, you're either with me or not.

This.

Someone else can post about it.
I really thought that was page 1 material. I wonder if we all felt the same. "It must mean more to someone else, therefore I shall leave it for them." In reality I bet a ton of people absolutely love that album.
It is on the first page.
I'll let others spew the bowie love, but there is a reason this album is rated first on that list you post.

(Link to media)

Introspective as fuck.

Group Builder