Quantcast

US - New England The NEBCO Lookout Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Was that a collab?
Acrimony is a beer that'll be coming out in bottles soon (Labels came in today - the bottles have been conditioning for a few months awaiting labels). It's a pretty simple golden sour (grist of pilsner/flaked wheat), aged in a stainless grundy tank for 6 month with a mixed culture from ECY, and then on apricots for a couple more months. It was bottle conditioned with a wild sacch strain isolated from Cantillon. It didn't spend 3 years in wine barrels like S&R did, so it's a much different experience.

The sister beer of Acrimony has been in Sauvignon Blanc barrels for sometime, and I'm hoping that is ready for bottles later in the year.

Acrimony is a beer that'll be coming out in bottles soon (Labels came in today - the bottles have been conditioning for a few months awaiting labels). It's a pretty simple golden sour (grist of pilsner/flaked wheat), aged in a stainless grundy tank for 6 month with a mixed culture from ECY, and then on apricots for a couple more months. It was bottle conditioned with a wild sacch strain isolated from Cantillon. It didn't spend 3 years in wine barrels like S&R did, so it's a much different experience.

The sister beer of Acrimony has been in Sauvignon Blanc barrels for sometime, and I'm hoping that is ready for bottles later in the year.
That sounds unreal

Looking forward to making it up to NEBCO again in April. It's been too long and I haven't been there when they've had the full taproom open. Are their sours pretty decent? I remember getting Blanche their Brett saison years ago and wasn't the best.

Looking forward to making it up to NEBCO again in April. It's been too long and I haven't been there when they've had the full taproom open. Are their sours pretty decent? I remember getting Blanche their Brett saison years ago and wasn't the best.
Blanche was well before my time at the brewery, but my understanding is that was a Brett Trois beer - a yeast that was later found to be Sacch yeast - thus never did much in the bottle. Also, a brett saison is, IMO, a much different animal than a sour beer. I would like to continue the "Golden Girls" series as it never got off the ground. Perhaps start it over again.

We do still do Brett only beers. A new batch of Track Suit will be out soon, and is tasting great off the fermenter. Lots of pineapple like Brett esters, and a light dry hop of hops that display similar aromatics. Comb Over is another brett beer that spends time in wine barrels. That may come out again (or those barrels might become blending components).

Sours - We've done 2 in the last couple years (Outside of our berliner). Spite & Resentment (both the base beer, and the cherry/raspberry variation), and Acrimony. At least 2 more, and possibly more (if barrels play nicely) are planned for release this year. I feel like our sour program is still very much in it's infancy, but I'm excited with the direction it's headed. My approach to mixed fermentation is much different than the approach the brewers took before me. We will see if that's a good thing...

Sorry. that was long winded.

Blanche was well before my time at the brewery, but my understanding is that was a Brett Trois beer - a yeast that was later found to be Sacch yeast - thus never did much in the bottle. Also, a brett saison is, IMO, a much different animal than a sour beer. I would like to continue the "Golden Girls" series as it never got off the ground. Perhaps start it over again.

We do still do Brett only beers. A new batch of Track Suit will be out soon, and is tasting great off the fermenter. Lots of pineapple like Brett esters, and a light dry hop of hops that display similar aromatics. Comb Over is another brett beer that spends time in wine barrels. That may come out again (or those barrels might become blending components).

Sours - We've done 2 in the last couple years (Outside of our berliner). Spite & Resentment (both the base beer, and the cherry/raspberry variation), and Acrimony. At least 2 more, and possibly more (if barrels play nicely) are planned for release this year. I feel like our sour program is still very much in it's infancy, but I'm excited with the direction it's headed. My approach to mixed fermentation is much different than the approach the brewers took before me. We will see if that's a good thing...

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying some of the sours & newer beers coming out of there. All of the classics still hold up today and loved the Double Hag. Yeah Brett beers different than sours, but that was the closest thing to a sour I probably had from NEBCO years back so I was curious. Thanks again

Anyone crack into an '18 BA IST bottle yet? This was a pretty gentle pour and the head just kept rising, ten minutes later and its still above the rim. Seems to be highly carbed. Not really getting any off flavors but the carb is masking a lot of what's going on. Really one dimensional. I'm hardly an expert but is this a sign of infection? Reminds me a lot of '17 Back East's BA stout (crazy carb) rather than BA IST of year's past.

Just one experience, of course, but I drank my final Blanche last year - it must have been pretty old at that point - and I thought it was pretty fantastic and had evolved - just hadn't gotten "sour" per se. Still one of the biggest white wine bomb beers I can ever remember having (in a very good way) - I wish a lot of "wine barrel aged" beers would get character like that one did from the barrel.

EDIT: And apparently "last year" was actually August 2017... welp

We want a rerelease of Chardonneighbor o_O

Latest posts