The NEBCO Lookout Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehzachatak

Reaction score
Resurrecting the most useful thread (for me) on BA! I'm actually probably a crappy person to start this, because I only make it every month or two, but I know there are at least a few of you NEBCO heads here.

Borrowed blatantly from woosterbill's great writeup on BA:

NEBCO FAQs:

Hours: 12-6 M-F, 11-3 Sat, CLOSED SUNDAYS

Prices: $4 for an empty growler (either 32oz or 64oz), $5/$10 for fills of low-ABV stuff (i.e. Sea Hag, Elm City, Galaxy, Supernaut, Fuzzy Baby Ducks), $8/$15 for Gandhi-Bot and 668, $10 (32oz only lately, but they have done $20 64oz growlers in the past and may again) for specialties like Imperial Stout Trooper, Wet Willy, Friar's Quad, etc. CASH ONLY

Growler Procedures: non-NEBCO growlers are just fine, but Hill Farmstead-style 750ml and tall 1l swingtop growlers don't fit under the taps. Growlers are filled directly from the taps (i.e., no purge, no counter pressure, no tubing) and are capped on foam; kept refrigerated, they are almost always perfectly good for a week or so, but not recommended for extended cellaring.

Samples/Tours: Free samples are readily, enthusiastically given, as are impromptu tours around the tiny operation.

Best Practices: Unless you like annoying some of the friendliest guys in the industry, don't walk in asking for Gandhi-Bot, FBD, and Cherry-Vanilla IST, only to turn around and walk out when they (gasp!) don't have the specific rarity you've heard about. Drink samples of what they have, chat about what's upcoming, and if you like something buy a growler - $5 for 32oz of brewery-fresh Sea Hag is ALWAYS a good decision.

Beware: Guard Dog Eli is watching. Always.

Cheers!

Anyone know what's on today? As of opening, BA IST was still available, but I doubt it'll be there much longer.

Cheers!

In for Eli updates!
slide-team-dog.jpg

They posted on facebook that Premeditated will be out in stores next week.

Do any of you know if they're selling any out of the brewery at all this year? Always nice to pick it up for a few bucks cheaper.

They posted on facebook that Premeditated will be out in stores next week.

Do any of you know if they're selling any out of the brewery at all this year? Always nice to pick it up for a few bucks cheaper.

I would expect so. I'm going on Saturday and can confirm if nobody else does. Gonna buy like, a case this year.

I'm hoping to stop here to grab a growler and check it out in a couple weeks. It's right on the way so I don't think my wife will mind a short stop.

This year's barrel aged imperial stout trooper is in the running for sleeper beer of the year.
So much roast and chocolatey goodness. If you didn't get some, I would track it down. You won't be let down.
Can't wait top open one of these this weekend (likely alongside one from the last release).

If anyone has a BA IST that they're willing to trade.... hint hint.... this guy got exactly zero of this year's release....

Premeditated Murder should be rolling out this week. One place told me their case(s) were being hand delivered by one of the NEBCO guys today.

And for anyone in the New Haven area (do we need a CT thread?)... Maker's Mark Barrel Aged Ten Fidy @ Prime 16 tonight. Let me know if you want to grab one later.

For the Fairfield county crowd.

@NewEnglandBrew: @COALHOUSE_PIZZA Monday. Galaxy, bbl aged stout, ghost pigeon, premed barleywine, double dry hopped sea hag firkin. http://t.co/SaDrR6IyTP
DhSpvUA.png
The hell is Friar's Leap?

All from Coalhouse Pizza's twitter account.
@COALHOUSE_PIZZA said:
SOLD OUT! Coalhouse Harvest Beer Dinner with New England Brewing @ 6:30pm tonight! Profit donated to Bennett Cancer Center! Beer line up:
Food Pairings ... Galaxy Pale Ale w/ Kale & Sprouts Salad, Friar's Leap w/ Baked Beer Oyster & Clam Medley ...
Premeditated Murder w/ Harvest Veggie & Bacon Pizza, Ghost Pigeon Porter w/ Pot Roast & Chipotle Mashed Potatoes ...
Bourbon Barrel 2 YR Aged Stout Trooper w/ Beer Fried Pumpkin Pie! And for the surprise beers also available tonight ...
... Gandhi-Bot, Coriolis, Weiss Trash Culture, 668 Neighbor of the Beast & a Firkin of Double-Dry Hopped (Mosaic) Sea Hag!

Bourbon Barrel TWO YEAR IST?? Is this 2012 that's been in the barrels for an extra year?
Yeah that too. Sometimes these restaurants don't know what they have / what to call it, so I just figured that'd be a 2012 (time in barrels + age in keg = 2 YR AGED I guess?).

I think it was Max Burger that said they'd have barrrel aged Gandhi :eek: in May, but they meant a cask.

Yeah that too. Sometimes these restaurants don't know what they have / what to call it, so I just figured that'd be a 2012 (time in barrels + age in keg = 2 YR AGED I guess?).

I think it was Max Burger that said they'd have barrrel aged Gandhi :eek: in May, but they meant a cask.

ok, so do we know that this isn't a special beer? because if there's a BA IST out there with an extra year in barrels, i want to taste it :p

homer hype pervades all beer forums.
So waitaminute. Locals can't be excited about what their local brewery is making that will be locally available for them to drink locally? That automatically creates homer hype? Dude, not everything is about trading/trade values/trade hyping. Some people are just excited and happy to drink a beer.

For the record, BA IST is a very good BA Stout. Much different then the BCBS/Bnote/Parabola that usually dominates my life.

So waitaminute. Locals can't be excited about what their local brewery is making that will be locally available for them to drink locally? That automatically creates homer hype? Dude, not everything is about trading/trade values/trade hyping. Some people are just excited and happy to drink a beer.

For the record, BA IST is a very good BA Stout. Much different then the BCBS/Bnote/Parabola that usually dominates my life.

Along the same lines, I'd like to point out that

1. I (and based on what I've seen in the trade forums in the past, most other people too) don't trade NEBCO anyway, aside from extra-ing people Bot cans.

2. There is virtually no hype of NEBCO at all in terms of "value" as far as I've been aware - if anyone thinks there is, I guess they're reading different trade forums than me (and, uh, I like it this way, thanks).

Along the same lines, I'd like to point out that

1. I (and based on what I've seen in the trade forums in the past, most other people too) don't trade NEBCO anyway, aside from extra-ing people Bot cans.

2. There is virtually no hype of NEBCO at all in terms of "value" as far as I've been aware - if anyone thinks there is, I guess they're reading different trade forums than me (and, uh, I like it this way, thanks).

This is one of my favorite things about NEBCO/most of the people that buy it, it seems like pretty much everyone just drinks it/shares it. The releases don't get too crazy and when they do a limited bottle or growler like FBD you don't see people buying it that day and flipping it that night on the trade forums. A lot of other releases you can tell they were sold that day because you go on the trade forum and half the first page is FT: that bottle. I'll be sad if/when that happens with NEBCO.

This is one of my favorite things about NEBCO/most of the people that buy it, it seems like pretty much everyone just drinks it/shares it. The releases don't get too crazy and when they do a limited bottle or growler like FBD you don't see people buying it that day and flipping it that night on the trade forums. A lot of other releases you can tell they were sold that day because you go on the trade forum and half the first page is FT: that bottle. I'll be sad if/when that happens with NEBCO.
Agreed. I've had a few trade requests for Stout Trooper but that is usually just for the Star Wars aspect and not because it's a hyped up stout. Plus the way they fill growlers (just on foam) it almost prohibits their trade which means thinks like FBD and Coriolis will stay local. NEBCO has an enthusiastic local following, but it is not hype. I've never seen them pimped on a trade forum for anything other then locals or simple $4$ trades.

Must not have had very many than.

Don't forget who gave you that Weiss Trash, and escecially where we were! ktnxbye!

i could never forget. <3 i was so shocked at how good it was too, bc all the "omgsogood!!!!" other beers have been below average - fbd, ist, ba ist, etc.

Back