The Official Mead Thread

Help Support Talkbeer:

Both?

So you're saying still pretty acidic fresh?
I prefer mine with some age on it. Red for me is perfect after about a year, black, after about 2-3. I got a hint of that extra beety black currants like B5, so maybe a little longer, but it is hard to tell with the red blended in. But personally, I would probably hold mine for 3 years. Little longer on the 750mL.

62$ for heather o_O
I can't find any commercial pricing info on heather honey, and even then have no idea what Schramm's is using or what they are paying for it, but looking at the pricing for the "personal-sized" versions leads me to believe it's pretty expensive.

I can't find any commercial pricing info on heather honey, and even then have no idea what Schramm's is using or what they are paying for it, but looking at the pricing for the "personal-sized" versions leads me to believe it's pretty expensive.
It’s more than the “included with the price of dinner” I paid the first time and less than the price I paid in the charity auction I paid that night so... eh. Figured it would be somewhere between $0 and $200.

It’s more than the “included with the price of dinner” I paid the first time and less than the price I paid in the charity auction I paid that night so... eh. Figured it would be somewhere between $0 and $200.
All previous bottles were 187ml right? Or are you already accounting for that conversion? I have no idea what the derived price for the "included with dinner" bottle would be. Equivalent for the charity auction would be something like $133 per bottle or thereabouts?

All previous bottles were 187ml right? Or are you already accounting for that conversion? I have no idea what the derived price for the "included with dinner" bottle would be. Equivalent for the charity auction would be something like $133 per bottle or thereabouts?
They were, but I also wanted to tell the person who told me I just set the secondary price on the bottles when the auction was over to go fuck themselves. This was for charity, so getting nitpicky on bottle size when people seem to go batshit for 187s of HoD and not give fucks about 750s of anything seemed a little nonsense.

Yeah I figured the honey was expensive, hopefully it’s worth it because I’ll likely pull the trigger on this just out of pure curiosity.

Yeah I figured the honey was expensive, hopefully it’s worth it because I’ll likely pull the trigger on this just out of pure curiosity.
I tend to prefer more interesting honeys (chestnut, heather, wildflowers with a strong buckwheat component) over ones that are just sweet for sweet sake (blackberry, meadowfoam, etc.) Heather is definitely an interesting honey. Not sure if this is going to be closer to B1 or the batch that was pouring at events last year (I still liked it, but I was not as much a fan of the yeast profile). Either way I am excited to get some more.

Thoughts or tasting notes on Chrissie? Trying to figure when to open a bottle.
Tasty.

I’m with Patty in that I like my BA and RA aged to tone down some tannins and some of the sharper berry flavors. But I very much enjoyed Chrissie “fresh”, but think it’s going to get better with age. Just to soften things a bit.

I’d give you the same beer advice everyone gives: you need to try it fresh. Whether that’s opening a bottle of it or getting a pour at somewhere like Cultivate. Just so you have that baseline established to gauge how it changes with time. You won’t be disappointed drinking one now.

6AFB7ECA-225B-45AE-8269-DE4EDB2510DB.jpeg

I know it's a bit pointless to post about homebrew meads from people who don't seem to be moving towards opening up a commercial meadery, but this was just really, really good. Great cherry flavor with the vanilla adding richness and depth. Not much barrel, though maybe it added a touch of cinnamon spice.

View attachment 7234

I know it's a bit pointless to post about homebrew meads from people who don't seem to be moving towards opening up a commercial meadery, but this was just really, really good. Great cherry flavor with the vanilla adding richness and depth. Not much barrel, though maybe it added a touch of cinnamon spice.
Maybe he is just doing a really long R&D phase. Some folks just like creating and sharing. I mean lordy, when we were home brewing regularly we gave away a fair amount just because we didn’t have the space to keep more.

Just enjoy it.

Latest posts